• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Postion that is for me!

C

Cusker

Right then i have been in to rugby all my life and have played on and of for a few years now. I have just joined my local club and realised how unfit and small i am. I'm 17, only 5ft 7 and 10.5 stone. First of all i want some advice on how to train to get bigger, fitter and whether to take supplements or not. Lastly i want your advice on what postion i should play. I may be small for my age but im not scared to give 100% in training/match and tackle anyone no matter how big.

Right then i have been in to rugby all my life and have played on and of for a few years now. I have just joined my local club and realised how unfit and small i am. I'm 17, only 5ft 7 and 10.5 stone. First of all i want some advice on how to train to get bigger, fitter and whether to take supplements or not. Lastly i want your advice on what postion i should play. I may be small for my age but im not scared to give 100% in training/match and tackle anyone no matter how big. [/b]

Im also 16 (Turning 17 in july) and 5'7, but im a little heavier than you, so I know how you feel. At your weight, the only position that I could think of is scrum half. If you can give it 100% around the rucks (or scrums!) on defense, you'll be loved by your teammates, and feared by the opposition.

About your fitness, i would start a training regime (3-4 times a week for a bout 1-2 hours each session) that will be working your entire body each week. I have a good site with lots of reutines to choose from, and video instructions just incase you don't know how to do a certain activity (http://www.trainwithmeonline.com/). It really helps if you have a friend that is in the same stage as you (unfit and getting ready for rugby!) so you can do the same workout and have someone to chat too while you are doing it.

About supplements, I just drink 1 protein shake (can) right after a workout, and if I don't have a shake, i eat a bowl of cottage cheese (HUGE PROTEIN!) and a couple of slices of 12 grain bread (sometimes just a peanut butter sandwich works too! :p )

I hope this helped! :cheers:

Also don't forget to improve your ball skills. If you are going to be playing scrum-half, you should have the best long passing skills on the team. You should be comfortable passing both ways. Know all the rules, and make sure you communicate well with your team.

As for working out, make sure you do compound exercises, the likes of squats, presses, lifts, etc.

don't go mental on the weights, that's what i did and now my arms don't stretch out all the way and neither do my legs.
eat a moderate diet, run (both mid distance and sprints), do some weights (not too many), i always found swimming helps and general playing about with the ball.
i also practive parkour and BJJ in my spare time, i don't know if they would help anyone else, but i always think parkour helps the mental side of my game.

How do i work on my passing and kicking skills? What are BJJ and Parkour?
Does it matter if you take supplements before or after you train and can you do it before or after a game? The only trouble with me playing scrum-half is i will be 3rd choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour - parkour
don't confuse it with free running.......and don't ask me to explain the difference, if you're really interested there is a myriad of websites explaining the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BJJ - BJJ
i'm a little under 6'1, and i don't use any of the techniques i learn during games, but they help with the physical side of my game because it helps with dynamic muscle strength and mid-section strength.

i don't recommend these practices as such, just things i am also interested in that i think help my game.

To work on your passing skills and kicking skills you have to get out there and dedicate yourself to the sport. Find a buddy and spend as much time passing as possibly. Even though it's easier to use your dominant hand, try using your weaker hand more. You have a lot of work and it's never to early to start. There are some weighted balls you can buy called pass developers. Also, there are balls attached to cords that snap right back to you. Those would help a lot, I believe, if you aren't able ot go outside with a buddy often and pass the ball around. Just have a ball with you at all times and make sure you are also comfortable kicking with both feet. If you won't be playing scrum-half, the coach will probably put you in at wing. If you are a good kicker you could play fly-half. Depending on your team's "style", you might be able to play outside center or fullback. But I doubt the former.

Watch a lot of rugby. Even if you can only get your hands on a few matches, watching them over and over will subconsciously get you used to game strategy, decision making, and most importantly the rules of the game.

I recommend you hit the gym 3-4 times a week, and also do a lot of running as it will help massively with your game. Scrum-halfs are known for their fitness.

Make sure you get 8 hours of sleep a night, and eat a healthy diet. I wouldn't worry too much about cutting the bad foods out of your diet (I would recommend eliminating carbonated soda drinks as they are horrible for athletes... there's a lot of science backing this up if you research it) as I would incorporating a lot of good, whole carbs (for slow digesting) and protein. Whey protein is the most common form of protein insofar as shakes are concerned, and they are a good idea. There are some weight gainer powders out there that also have a load of good carbs (like CytoSport). You don't need to go out and get Creatine, if anything that would come down much further down the road. Stay away from steroids.

Trust me, if you hit the gyms, you will see results. You will get stronger and bigger as long as you work hard.

Remember, do not substitute healthy, hearty meals for protein/carb shakes. These are not adequate substitutes for solid foods. Before you work out, make sure you at 3 hours before so your carb stores are full (so you an have energy) and after you should take a shake (whey protein is fast acting and helps repair muscle).

Drink a lot of water, and I mean a lot. Keep yourself hydrated. Go out and buy a 32 oz Nalgene bottle (or something similar) and try to drink at least 5 of those a day.

don't go mental on the weights, that's what i did and now my arms don't stretch out all the way and neither do my legs.
eat a moderate diet, run (both mid distance and sprints), do some weights (not too many), i always found swimming helps and general playing about with the ball.
i also practive parkour and BJJ in my spare time, i don't know if they would help anyone else, but i always think parkour helps the mental side of my game. [/b]

Odd :huh: Thats the first time ive actually heard of something like that!

For your arms did you work your triceps enough? It sounds like you worked your biceps a whole hell of a lot but with minimal tricep work.

For your legs thats odd..

Swimming is a great excersize. IF you are trying to put on mass for the next season do sprints as it will not inhibit your strength goals the way long distance will. But if you are looking into being fit for the next season a combo of both is a MUST.

As far as supplements go hit up your vitamin store and pick up some Whey Protein. Its up to you when you want to take it, i know guys who take one before (so it hits their muscles as soon as they start pumping) and one after (try to take that one within 30 minutes of finishing your last excersize).

As for me i hit the gym 6 times a week. Lift 6, Run 4-5 (HIIT- High Intensity Interval Training 2 days, Distance the other days)

For lifting i use just a simple lower upper split really, Legs and Arms one day, Chest, Back, Shoulders the other. Make sure when you make your lifting program you dont go all out on a specific arms day because that'd just be a waste really, unless if youre trying to look good! So combine those arms with legs would be my suggestion :)

As for passing drills try to pass a ball 75-100 times a day. Also take any generic pole you can find stand 5-10m away from it and pass the ball to it going for as many hits of the pole out of 20 off each hand that you can get. It's one of the best ways to work on your passing accuracy.

I highly reccomend buying either:

a.)
Gilbert Skill Skin

b.)
Gilbert Reflex Trainer Ball

For kicking do this:
Go to your pitch and box kick 20 times off each foot, just getting used to the motion. Once you are used to that, go for accuracy and kicking the ball where you want to off each foot. And just keep working on it. If you want bring a friend and have him stand somewhere on the pitch and try to box kick it as accurately as possible to him.

Most of all work hard, set some lofty yet attainable goals, and have fun.. and always believe in yourself :)

i have short hamstrings too, need to do physio for it.
i did a lot of bicep work, i took up wing chun kung fu for a while and that helped a little.
i'm not sure what the whole science behind it is though, something to do with plates or something?

i have short hamstrings too, need to do physio for it.
i did a lot of bicep work, i took up wing chun kung fu for a while and that helped a little.
i'm not sure what the whole science behind it is though, something to do with plates or something? [/b]

Oh yea for your arms i'd say work your triceps because those are the muscles that are used to straighten your arm out so you can do excersizes like skull crushers, tricep pull down, pushups do it, etc.

Thats always problematic witht he short hamstrings but if you do physio i'd imagine you'd be fine eventually!!

aye, but it takes forever. and if you stop for even a week they shorten right back up.
they aren't as bad as they used to be, but still nowhere near as limber as they should.

Latest posts