First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Lions-in-impaled-Bok-gaffe-20130508

Rob Houwing, Sport24 chief writer

Cape Town â€" The British and Irish Lions, preparing for their looming tour of Australia, have been forced to retract a tweet gloating over their final-Test triumph against South Africa in 2009. The Guardian newspaper (www.guardian.co.uk) revealed that the official Lions Twitter account was forced earlier this week to delete a tweet showing a springbok impaled on a railing, accompanied by the words: “Isn’t this what @lionsofficial did to Springboks in the 3rd​ Test in Johannesburg 2009?â€
The post reportedly lasted some 90 minutes before being withdrawn, and a subsequent tweet issued saying: “@lionsofficial would like to apologise for any offence caused by recent and inappropriate tweets.â€
South Africans â€"\- just as much as Australians, no doubt - are likely to be bemused more than irked by the cheeky gremlin, considering that the tweet conveniently forgot to note that the Lions’ 28-9 victory at Ellis Park came in a dead-rubber clash, as John Smit’s Boks had already won the first two of the three contests.
At the time, coach Peter de Villiers controversially selected a greatly weakened Bok side for the last fixture, cocooning certain players for the later Tri-Nations, which South Africa again won.

Pathetic, may they be raped by a rabies Wallaby (in rugby terms)

Last edited:
Well it's hard not to be arrogant will all the arrogant Irish arrogant English arrogant players in the arrogant squad.

Arrogant.

To be fair it's not the players or the coaches it's the knob running they're twitter, it's his job to ignore rugby and hype it up.

Considering the amount of Welsh players on the Lions tour can we start assuming they're all arrogant as well as the English?

Seriously though, press office intern cocks up is about the sum of this story. Daft but hardly an indicator that the Lions are going to take to the field in gilded track tops and address all Australians they meet as convits.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Lions-in-impaled-Bok-gaffe-20130508

Rob Houwing, Sport24 chief writer

Cape Town â€" The British and Irish Lions, preparing for their looming tour of Australia, have been forced to retract a tweet gloating over their final-Test triumph against South Africa in 2009. The Guardian newspaper (www.guardian.co.uk) revealed that the official Lions Twitter account was forced earlier this week to delete a tweet showing a springbok impaled on a railing, accompanied by the words: “Isn’t this what @lionsofficial did to Springboks in the 3rd​ Test in Johannesburg 2009?â€
The post reportedly lasted some 90 minutes before being withdrawn, and a subsequent tweet issued saying: “@lionsofficial would like to apologise for any offence caused by recent and inappropriate tweets.â€
South Africans â€"\- just as much as Australians, no doubt - are likely to be bemused more than irked by the cheeky gremlin, considering that the tweet conveniently forgot to note that the Lions’ 28-9 victory at Ellis Park came in a dead-rubber clash, as John Smit’s Boks had already won the first two of the three contests.
At the time, coach Peter de Villiers controversially selected a greatly weakened Bok side for the last fixture, cocooning certain players for the later Tri-Nations, which South Africa again won.

Pathetic, may they be raped by a rabies Wallaby (in rugby terms)

You're an idiot for posting this. I bet you imagine Brian O'Driscoll, Sam Warburton and the rest of the squad take joint responsibility for running the Lions twitter account, right?

Well it's hard not to be arrogant will all the arrogant Irish arrogant English arrogant players in the arrogant squad.

Arrogant.

You forgot the arrogant Welsh...and the arrogant Scots, New Zealanders, South Africans, Israeli and American. :D

You're an idiot for posting this. I bet you imagine Brian O'Driscoll, Sam Warburton and the rest of the squad take joint responsibility for running the Lions twitter account, right?

How you feel about me does not not even bother me in the slightest
What does bother me is what is portrayed to the whole world, yes the typical media addicted tabloid man did that and he/she is to blame. But who suffers as a consequence, you the loyal supporters and the whole Lions team.
They (he or she) speak on behalf of all Lions related matters as they are trusted to be the social media communique. Perception is a ***** especially trying to manage it.

So try and see it in that light, if you are able...

That article is a comeback four years too late. Why not just have a your momma so fat contest and get it out of the way.
And oh that comment section. And the Lions are arrogant?
"Lions' 28-9 victory at Ellis Park came in a dead-rubber clash, as John Smit's Boks had already won the first two of the three contests.
At the time, coach Peter de Villiers controversially selected a greatly weakened Bok side for the last fixture"

How you feel about me does not not even bother me in the slightest
What does bother me is what is portrayed to the whole world, yes the typical media addicted tabloid man did that and he/she is to blame. But who suffers as a consequence, you the loyal supporters and the whole Lions team.
They (he or she) speak on behalf of all Lions related matters as they are trusted to be the social media communique. Perception is a ***** especially trying to manage it.

So try and see it in that light, if you are able...

I don't 'feeel anything' about you..and I don't disagree with anything you just said.... however I fail to see why the incident makes you hope that the lions get 'raped by a rabies wallaby' and hence why you posted it...especially as you just showed yourself to be aware of the gap between the perception of a team and the reality of the team!

But to add, Osulli Mi makes a very good point. In the article you've posted above it says

"At the time, coach Peter de Villiers controversially selected a greatly weakened Bok side for the last fixture, cocooning certain players for the later Tri-Nations, which South Africa again won."

This is arrogance of a taller order than than anything you can claim from a tweet, as the latter is deliberately provocative to win attenion, where articles such as the one you posted have clear bias/arrogance worked into their subject: which all makes me doubly bemused that you think the Lions, and not anyone else, are arrogant

Last edited:
How could you be arrogant if you lost the last 3 tours with a record of 2 wins and 7 losses?

When I first read it I was offended and posted straight away, so my comment was over the top abit, I'll substitude the rabies wallabies with a pack of Silver-back Gorillas ;)

The article is on a sports website, so the author could say what he wants, as to to the tweet, kinda there and now and deliberate

Recall when the Lions was in SA last they were also full of themselves, so yes I do think the team and management associated the the Lions have a bit of a arrogance problem and it is building up over the years, so hope they get raped still (in rugby terms)

They are the best of 4 nations - should be word beaters and rightfully arrogant, but not the case

Last edited:
When I first read it I was offended and posted straight away, so my comment was over the top abit, I'll substitude the rabies wallabies with a pack of Silver-back Gorillas ;)

The article is on a sports website, so the author could say what he wants, as to to the tweet, kinda there and now and deliberate

Recall when the Lions was in SA last they were also full of themselves, so yes I do think the team and management associated the the Lions have a bit of a arrogance problem and it is building up over the years, so hope they get raped still (in rugby terms)

They are the best of 4 nations - should be word beaters and rightfully arrogant, but not the case

Really? I seem to remember them mixing with fans, going to townships, getting out on safari and generally enjoying the whole South African experiance. The only negitive of the tour was the rather mad schedule they had to comply with which effectivly made it very difficult to win. oh that and the crazy ticket prices.....

Really? I seem to remember them mixing with fans, going to townships, getting out on safari and generally enjoying the whole South African experiance. The only negitive of the tour was the rather mad schedule they had to comply with which effectivly made it very difficult to win. oh that and the crazy ticket prices.....

Were you here or did you just read what the press reported? Yes they did do those things, but like the Loftus Game, which i attended, the fans were very arrogant. After the game i met Shane Williams, Andy Powell and Tommy Bowe at the Hatfield square and they were extremely annoying and full of themselves, even after they just lost 2 consecutive matches vs the Boks.

Recall when the Lions was in SA last they were also full of themselves,

I'm trying my hardest, but all I can think of is the exact opposite.

But then again I'm so bloody arrogant all I can arrogantly think about is being so arrogant!

Were you here or did you just read what the press reported? Yes they did do those things, but like the Loftus Game, which i attended, the fans were very arrogant. After the game i met Shane Williams, Andy Powell and Tommy Bowe at the Hatfield square and they were extremely annoying and full of themselves, even after they just lost 2 consecutive matches vs the Boks.

Can I ask what they did that was so annoying? Honestly wondering, I've only ever heard good things about Bowe and the other two always come across as decent even if Powell seems a bit stupid.

One thing that stood out for me was that hooker (he was stand in captain if I recall) and his views before the second test and how he honestly felt they were so much better than the Boks and then got smashed. His interview midweek was like he was from another planet or on a different tour.
Man wish I still had the article

Look, one on one these are all fine blokes I am sure of it, many a kids idol, collectively differently though - most non GB people see them as thinking very royally of themselves (could be self belief/camaraderie) - and the reverse for local people and that is the way it should be I suppose

Still wish them a good tour and may rugby be the winner

PDivvy portrays Geech as self-righteous in his book, and criticises him for getting "too happy" about that 3rd Test win when it was a less than full strength Bok team.

On the otherhand, what credibility does PDivvy's opinion have after all the crap that has come out of his mouth?

How could you be arrogant if you lost the last 3 tours with a record of 2 wins and 7 losses?

aaaaaawwwwww shiiiiieeeeeeeeeeet...the Argentine drops the bomb !

I'm trying my hardest, but all I can think of is the exact opposite.

But then again I'm so bloody arrogant all I can arrogantly think about is being so arrogant!

you know at this point, it works against you...

-------
this thread is a bit silly...the Lions will be a bit full of themselves of course, as the fans and media and everything surrounding them...but the twitter thing ?
oh....ohhh I just farted. Gotta leave the room.

Latest posts