• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership 21/22 Fixtures

This looks like a much better idea than the 4 point 2 point split:

For next season, maybe we could say that if a match is cancelled due to covid, and an unvaccinated player is involved; it's a 5:0 league point split; in the books as 28:0 score board, 4 (penalty) tries to 0

This looks like a much better idea than the 4 point 2 point split:

For next season, maybe we could say that if a match is cancelled due to covid, and an unvaccinated player is involved; it's a 5:0 league point split; in the books as 28:0 score board, 4 (penalty) tries to 0

Which works in a win loss system, it's effectively the 5pts - 0 pts like it was originally.

With the amount of academy players I struggle to see how games can be called off. I guess that they let the game be called off rather than risk loosing with young players.

With the amount of academy players I struggle to see how games can be called off. I guess that they let the game be called off rather than risk loosing with young players.
And yet, plenty were; though it's plausible that the current wave has peaked; it's also plausible that it's just pausing for breath before surging again for the next couple of months (though even so, there's a good chance it will have died down a bit by September). It's also much more likely than not that there will be a 4th wave during the season.

Wasn't the issue that due to training if someone tests positive it often hits a whole group of players in that position who have to self-isolate. Yes most of your squad is fine, but if all your props have to isolate it doesn't matter how many academy players you have.

Wasn't the issue that due to training if someone tests positive it often hits a whole group of players in that position who have to self-isolate. Yes most of your squad is fine, but if all your props have to isolate it doesn't matter how many academy players you have.
I would question why you would keep all front row together. But maybe clubs wouldn't want to play with academy front row. Most squads have around 45 'players' so struggle to see how games can be called off without clubs bending the truth a little bit. Or keeping bubbles of all front row together for example (which is stupid).

Yes, and I'd keep the 4:2 split when that's the case; but if an unvaccinated squad member actually tests positive for covid as part of an outbreak of positives in the squad - then 5:0 split.

Basically, if you've done everything you can, and shit happens, then shit happens; if you haven't done everything you can, then you're negligent (in this respect)

Last edited:
Yes, and I'd keep the 4:2 split when that's the case; but if an unvaccinated squad member actually tests positive for covid as part of an outbreak of positives in the squad - then 5:1 split.

Basically, if you've done everything you can, and **** happens, then **** happens; if you haven't done everything you can, then you're negligent (in this respect)
Also if it's tigers or sarries do a 5:1 against them split.

Might not apply to the other nations, but just seen that the Lions rest period for England players is a mandatory 10 weeks from the end of the 3rd test regardless of how much each player has featured. That runs up to mid October.

That seems like a very long rest for any players who haven't been in the test sides. Obviously some could play next week, but a lot of that will depend on how today's game goes. If the Boks come back to level the series, I think it's unlikely players who have yet to feature in the test 23s will be drafted in.

I know these players have had no break whatsoever, but it does seem strange that a player with 80mins vs. one of the provincial sides weeks ago has the same rest period as the players who will feature in all three test matches.

You'd have to think this will be costly for a number of Premiership sides.

Bath: Faletau, Watson
Bristol: Sinckler
Exeter: Cowan-Dickie, Hill, Hogg, Simmonds
Gloucester: Harris, Rees-Zammit
Harlequins: Smith
Leicester: van Staden, Wiese
Northampton: Biggar, Lawes
Sale: Curry, de Jager, de Klerk (not sure about the du Preez twins and Oosthuizen?)
Saracens: Daly, Farrell, George, Itoje, Koch, Vunipola
Worcester: van der Merwe, Sutherland

I think that's everyone? Saracens, Exeter and Sale are hit hard as well as potentially Sale (not sure if the du Preez boys are already at home?). Given the AIs and the Rugby Championship will be starting hot on the heels of the rest period, it's going to be a weird season.

From a Quins POV starting a ***le defence without our most important player is a big deal, but Allan is a good player and if he settles quickly, we're actually one of the least affected.

Similarly, Bristol and Leicester in particular might be looking at this and thinking it's a great opportunity to get off to a strong start.

Maybe Carreras for Gloucester and Simmonds and possibly Coleman for Irish too?

Some clubs are better equipped to ride it out than others.

Going to be tough on Saracens and possibly Sale depending on SA's policy and who is in their Rugby Championship squad.

Tigers prob looking at start of season team of
1. Genge, 2. Youngs, 3. Cole
4. Wells, 5. Martin(?)
6. Liebenberg, 7. Reffell, 8. Brink
9. Youngs, 10. Ford
12. Kelly, 13. Scott
11. Potter, 14. Saumaki, 15. Steward

16. Clare, 17. Van Wyk, 18. Heyes
19. Henderson, 20. Chessum
21. JVP, 22. Burns, 23. Hergarty/Murimurivalu

Pretty decent IMO. Obviously, Wiese, van Staden, Montoya and Moroni improve that side, but it's at worst very competitive.

We have Carreras and Orlando in the Argentina squad...so we'll probably miss them for the first 4 games of the season....Orlando is a big miss. Class player.

Quins missing Louw and Smith for the start of season.
Espcially Louw since I don't think Quins had any idea he would be missing

Is there any rest protocols for the lads who played in the England summer games, or are they just free to play from the start of the season?

Is there any rest protocols for the lads who played in the England summer games, or are they just free to play from the start of the season?
5 weeks, so already finished.

Equally, Hooper has given an interview from Bath about post-Lions stand-downs; Faletau as a WRU player, Faletau has a 5-week rest post lions; so is available for the start of the season. Watson as an RFU player has a 10-week rest, so won't be available until a fortnight before the AIs.

Quins missing Louw and Smith for the start of season.
Espcially Louw since I don't think Quins had any idea he would be missing
Yeah. Louw's recall was a bit of a surprise (albeit 100% deserved).

Our starting front row was a massive strength last season so losing 2/3 of those players is less than ideal. I'm quite optimistic about Walker's ability to replace Baldwin (more so than most Quins fans) and Kerrod and Collier are decent cover for Louw, but there's no denying there's a significant drop off.

I think Allan will be a great signing and my bigger worry is that he does such a good job of replacing Smith that he gets and Italy recall. Losing both during the test windows would put us up s**t creek.

Ultimately, our problem isn't the number of players we're missing, it's the quality of them. Still, other teams are far harder hit, so I'm not going to whinge too much.

5 weeks, so already finished.

Equally, Hooper has given an interview from Bath about post-Lions stand-downs; Faletau as a WRU player, Faletau has a 5-week rest post lions; so is available for the start of the season. Watson as an RFU player has a 10-week rest, so won't be available until a fortnight before the AIs.
I'm glad that the players get a proper rest as players workloads are a very real issue in the sport,
However it does nothing to sway my "Lions are bad" feelings. I imagine they're not dipping their hands in their pockets to compensate the club's who are without their lions for almost a quarter of the season as a result

I'm glad that t. prlhe players get a proper rest as players workloads are a very real issue in the sport,
However it d=oes nothing to sway my "Lions are bad" feelings. I imagine they're not dipping their hands in their pockets to compensate the club's who are without their lions for almost a quarter of the season as a result
It's the RFU <=> PRL agreement that extends from 5 to 10 weeks.
The Lions themselves aren't resulting in a single club match being missed, and the RFU are paying for their extended rest period.

Of course, the 5 week break (and whoever it was that negotiated that) means that the players won't be hitting the ground running, and will miss some pre-season.
Interesting from Hooper that Taulupe isn't "back in the building" yet; which is good news; I wonder how many clubs have their non-EQP lions back in the gym and doing video anaylsis etc; rather than sitting on a beach with their kids?

Latest posts