• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 18/19 - Rd 18

JJ on the wing? Come on.... he played there a little about 10 years ago.
Watson has been on the verge of return for ages, it feels like - I doubt he makes the world cup at this stage. 4 games left in the season and it's not like Nowell has played badly for England or is playing badly for his club.
Now, now; bonded to exaggerate.
JJ last played wing about 2 years ago (which doesn't make him anymore than injury cover at wing)
Watson has been about a month away for... 2 weeks, and even that has been a very fluffy "about a month".

Now, I'm not convinced JJ makes the squad at Nowell's expense, but I can see him making it on merit. He has been in good form since returning 2 months ago.
If Watson is fit, he goes, probably at Brown's expense, possibly Nowell's.

Watson was due back in December, then January, then was gonna play in the 6N - just Google anthony Watson return from injury to see the rolling return date.
I'll believe it when I see him out on the pitch.

Didn't realise JJ had played wing that recently - still wouldn't play him over Nowell there though.

Watson has time to get fit, but he doesn't have much time to get back to match sharpness.

If he hasn't played, taking him would be a massive risk, not to mention very unfair when his rivals are playing well.

None of which were "on the verge of return"
December was always insanely optimistic, and was dropped before September, so hardly "on the verge"
I don't recall January ever being mentioned beyond "starting training"
Yes, there was hope he MIGHT have been available by the end of the 6N, but that was before the 6N, and hardly "on the verge".
His return to running in a straight line saw him hurt his quad (I think, mighty have been hammy), whic in turn set his Achilles . And no point in there was he "on the verge"
Bath stopped putting any date on anything about a month ago, though there was a vague hope he'd be back for the final 4 weeks, as of 2 weeks ago (so still a month ahead).

At no point has he been less than a month away from return. If your interpretation of "on the verge of return" includes a stupidly optimistic date that was never going to be met, and was ditched when it was still 4 months away... then you need a new dictionary.

He had a complete rupture of his Achilles. For a mere mortal that's 12 months to walk without discomfort, 18 to run and 24 to "fully" healed.

**** me, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

I'm not just making this up
The club are confident the Achilles has now has been repaired and Watson's agent says the player is on course to return at the end of the year or early January.

During the six nations he said the plan was to play in the six nations
"All I can do is get myself back fit, play well, play for Bath and see what happens. I wouldn't say the Six Nations is too soon, personally.

F me, some people can't cope with being called out for exaggeration.

That would was made in August.
In what world is August- January "on the verge of return"?

Great if watson is back as he has alot of natural talent but with lack of game time he will really have to prove himself in the lesser games in the pool stages or maybe off the bench. If he is not back then it will be a shame but we have survived without him so far and wing is not the issue when things go wrong. He is a great player but doubt will be the world cup saviour

Not sure what Nowell has done wrong that people seem so keen to replace him with someone playing out of position(JJ) or someone who hasn't played for god- knows-how-long (Watson). Was Watson really playing so outstandingly before his injury?
Nowell was one of Englands best and consistent players through the 6N ,and JJ or Watson in his place is not improving the team in any noticeable way. At the moment he starts for me.

I think that's been the only proper high tackle this game and it won't be penalised.

He did dip, but not much.

The tackle wasn't a YC as the ref said it was a pen BUT because it happened during a line break in a promising position it became a YC.

How the **** did they not stop the game in that situation?
Absolutely ridiculous, put the medical staff in real danger there.

Not sure what Nowell has done wrong that people seem so keen to replace him with someone playing out of position(JJ) or someone who hasn't played for god- knows-how-long (Watson). Was Watson really playing so outstandingly before his injury?
Nowell was one of Englands best and consistent players through the 6N ,and JJ or Watson in his place is not improving the team in any noticeable way. At the moment he starts for me.
I personally agree, I think Nowell offers a lot more than JJ but I know he is an EJ favourite.

Fair play to Gloucester deserved win as +1 try and kicked the points.
Both teams defence coaches and medical staff will be concerned.
Knocks us out of slim chance of 4 th still in 5 + 6 race however.
Top 3 now sorted in positions.

How the **** did they not stop the game in that situation?
Absolutely ridiculous, put the medical staff in real danger there.

Craig Maxwell-Keys. Compare and contrast with Wayne Barnes in the game yesterday. Barnes had the wherewithal to speak to the medics whilst the game was in flow and stopped it.

As soon as the ball moved that way from the breakdown Keys had to blow up. He didn't and directly put the medical staff in significant danger. I hope he learns from it.

I personally agree, I think Nowell offers a lot more than JJ but I know he is an EJ favourite.
We're comparing apples and oranges here,

Nowell is an international winger,
JJ is an international center.

They are not in direct competition for a spot, despite playing a bit of 13 and wing, respectively, at club level.

If anything it's JJ vs Slade or Nowell vs Joe C/Watson

I think that's been the only proper high tackle this game and it won't be penalised.

He did dip, but not much.

Sometimes I just don't understand what the referee / TMO see. The best Rapava Ruskin gets from that body position is a borderline high-shot to start with. My understanding is that is now not good enough. It's with force to the head with minor mitigation with the height of the ball carrier changing.

Jackson Wray went for one similar where the player was actually falling over..............

Yeah - I agree. Even from Gloucester's point of view, Cipriani got a red against Munster for a far more marginal call.

We're comparing apples and oranges here,

Nowell is an international winger,
JJ is an international center.

They are not in direct competition for a spot, despite playing a bit of 13 and wing, respectively, at club level.

If anything it's JJ vs Slade or Nowell vs Joe C/Watson

Depends he could be talking about the 23 shirt.

Latest posts