• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 19/20 - Rd 17

When Sara Elgin asked Lam in interview after Chiefs game if he was going to have to rest those that have played in 2 consecutive games he just mumbled something about checking players fitness. Not sure he''ll be happy losing 2 on bounce and will want to name his strongest side,especially as its against SAle in 3rd.
Going to be interesting what side he names and whether he ignores payer welfare .

Aye, there's a lot of congestion at the top of the table atm - no one 2-6 can really afford to drop points against anyone else in that logjam

I've seen that sort of technicality in a few places - I'm fine with fans pointing it out, but if any club actually tries to use that, it will be abhorrent - and yes, that includes if Bath try to use that excuse

I don't have the slightest doubt that this justification will be used.

If you look at the fixtures, there's not actually that many incidences of three games happening in 7 days.

Is there not also a maximum amount of minutes for consecutive fixtures though?

Aye, there's a lot of congestion at the top of the table atm - no one 2-6 can really afford to drop points against anyone else in that logjam

If Bristol lose tomorrow they would start to get nervous about finishing top 4, even though their run in isn't too bad, although away to wasps in a fortnight might turn out to be interesting.

I don't have the slightest doubt that this justification will be used.

If you look at the fixtures, there's not actually that many incidences of three games happening in 7 days.

Is there not also a maximum amount of minutes for consecutive fixtures though?
Of course it will - and it will be abhorrent
Are there any at all?
Isn't it 180 minutes in a 7-day period?

Personally, I've always championed a PRL rule along the lines of "no player can play more than 600 minutes in any 8-match period" anyway.

EggLbleU4AE15WE

Concerned over Akker and Oosthuizen, but other than that I'm happy

Three sets of brothers, two sets of twins - good luck commentators.

Edit:
team-vs-sale.jpeg

Last edited:
Sale should get a reasonably easy win there. Chiefs have gone for a 1st team against a clearly 2nd choice Worcester side. Could get messy.

Sale should get a reasonably easy win there. Chiefs have gone for a 1st team against a clearly 2nd choice Worcester side. Could get messy.

Agree, SAle should win that, if not they have problems.

I think you're right ,Exeter/Worcs could get messy.
Strange isnit, Chiefs put out 2nd team v high flying Bristol 1st team, then put out their 1st against lowly Worcs seconds. Strange times indeed.
Good to see Jack back.

Strange isnit, Chiefs put out 2nd team v high flying Bristol 1st team, then put out their 1st against lowly Worcs seconds. Strange times indeed.
I still think it makes perfect sense, play your 1st XV at the weekend, 2nd XV midweek - it's just the most logical way to do it in terms of managing player workloads.
The only uncertainty I'd have about that as a plan (that can change due to conditioning) is the use of the bench - where I'd want to start the benchers in the 2nd XV and fully rest the starters. My instinct though, would be to use the full squad depth, meaning that the 2nds would actually be 2.5ths; whilst the bench is made up of 4th choicers.

I guess a lower placed team might prefer to pick and choose it's battles - but that shouldn't really matter this year, as relegation is already known

Last edited:
I don't think Lloyd is the obvious choice. Whenever he has played he's been brought on at 15 and Eden has about 20mins of Premiership rugby in total
Lloyd has played 10 (it's his main position and kept Madigan out the side), 15 and wing for Bristol. Eden has been injured a lot but fully expecting more appearances given he re-signed fairly recently.

As it would happen Bears have indeed gone with Eden at 10 and Lloyd covering 10/15 from bench as suspected. Malins at 15. Significant that there's 9 Bristolians in the squad, great stuff.

When are the rest of the teams released? Will it be before the Sale vs Bristol game?

Anyone see steve diamonds interview pre match? On C5 he answered a question but said wheres the welfare for players who get death threats and walked off

Been busy so just turned on. Looks like it's going as expected.

Bristol and having a plan that isn't baabaas rugby.........
If you keep their backs quiet they tend to crumble very fast.

Latest posts