• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 14 2019 - FINAL ROUND (of the regular season)

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
First, the games that don't matter:

[Insert Welsh and South African teams as is suitable] also Ulster v Leinster

Next, the game with foregone conclusions:

Munster to beat a Connacht team resting for a trip to Belfast next week.

Finally, the games that matter:

Will Zebre turn up and stop their big brother getting to the playoffs, it's highly doubtful but the chance makes the Scottish derby undoubtedly the most interesting game of the week.

Glasgow host Edinburgh needing a win to top their conference and avoid an unwanted visit from Benetton/Edinburgh again and an even more unwanted trip to Dublin. Edinburgh could be playing for their lives.

These last two games should be exactly what makes the last day of the regular season exciting as **** but the clever organisers put them on at different times, Edinburgh will know if there's anything to play for by kick off time, silly stuff.

Be interesting to see what the Leinster team looks like given the scarcity of back 5 players available. Ruddock is now in doubt for the final and Cronin apparently done for the season.

Oh, both are out?

Big blow - at least the lighthouse is back but yer well shorn of numbers now.

First, the games that don't matter:

[Insert Welsh and South African teams as is suitable] also Ulster v Leinster

Next, the game with foregone conclusions:

Munster to beat a Connacht team resting for a trip to Belfast next week.

Finally, the games that matter:

Will Zebre turn up and stop their big brother getting to the playoffs, it's highly doubtful but the chance makes the Scottish derby undoubtedly the most interesting game of the week.

Glasgow host Edinburgh needing a win to top their conference and avoid an unwanted visit from Benetton/Edinburgh again and an even more unwanted trip to Dublin. Edinburgh could be playing for their lives.

These last two games should be exactly what makes the last day of the regular season exciting as **** but the clever organisers put them on at different times, Edinburgh will know if there's anything to play for by kick off time, silly stuff.

Bang on here. They should all be on the same time. But TV won out.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O'Brien (6)
14. Fergus McFadden (177)
13. Joe Tomane (12)
12. Noel Reid (120)
11. Dave Kearney (134)
10. Ross Byrne (68) CAPTAIN
9. Nick McCarthy (33)
1. Jack McGrath (143)
2. Bryan Byrne (39)
3. Michael Bent (122)
4. Josh Murphy (20)
5. Oisín Dowling (3)
6. Max Deegan (42)
7. Will Connors (4)
8. Caelan Doris (15)

16. Rónan Kelleher (1)
17. Peter Dooley (60)
18. Vakh Abdaladze (6)
19. Ryan Baird (0)
20. Scott Penny (5)
21. Paddy Patterson (2)
22. Ciarán Frawley (13)
23. Barry Daly (35)

Weak sauce

Munster:

15. Mike Haley
14. Andrew Conway
13. Chris Farrell
12. Dan Goggin
11. Calvin Nash
10. Tyler Bleyendaal
9. Conor Murray

1. Dave Kilcoyne
2. Niall Scannell
3. Stephen Archer
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Tadhg Beirne
6. Peter O'Mahony (captain)
7. Chris Cloete
8. CJ Stander.

Replacements:

16. Rhys Marshall
17. Jeremy Loughman
18. John Ryan
19. Billy Holland
20. Arno Botha
21. Neil Cronin
22. JJ Hanrahan
23. Sammy Arnold.

Connacht:

15. Tiernan O'Halloran
14. Niyi Adeolokun
13. Bundee Aki
12. Tom Daly
11. Stephen Fitzgerald
10. Conor Dean
9. Kieran Marmion

1. Matthew Burke
2. Tom McCartney
3. Finlay Bealham
4. Joe Maksymiw
5. James Cannon
6. Eoin McKeon
7. Jarrad Butler (captain)
8. Robin Copeland.

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt
17. Peter McCabe
18. Conor Carey
19. Eoghan Masterson
20. Paul Boyle
21. Caolin Blade
22. Eoin Griffin
23. Darragh Leader.

Well we're certainly not Fielding a weakened team but we are the only team with anything to play for albeit a distant hope.
That team would really want to make **** of a pretty weak Connacht side, their centres not included. I actually wished we'd rotated in a few more guys like Nash though as they've proved capable of being more than good enough for fixtures like these.

Bang on here. They should all be on the same time. But TV won out.
If the Best League In The World™ (the soccer, not the rugby version) can do it, so can the f***ing Pro14.

What happened to Conor Dean? Had forgotten about him and next thing he's playing 10 for Connacht.

We've given virtually everyone the week off understandably, having two backrows at 4/5 with Bryan Byrne playing hooker is asking for trouble, pity Jack Dunne has exams but even still wouldn't have been against starting Ryan Baird.

It's nice to finally have a end of season Pro 14 game that won't be the last ever game for one of the opposition's greatest players.

What happened to Conor Dean? Had forgotten about him and next thing he's playing 10 for Connacht.

Been in the Connacht academy 2 years I think. Has been playing AIL for Mary's but only took over as clear starting 10 this year. Played really well lovely passer and not afraid to hit despite not being massive.

Hard to get excited about the Ulster- Leinster dead rubber today. Each team has more important games coming up and is understandably rotating their squad heavily. From a Leinster perspective, it'd be great to see everyone on the bench get significant action. Baird, Kelleher and Penny have serious potential. Abdaladze, Dooley, Patterson and Frawley will be needed a lot next season due to the World Cup and other provinces plundering the Leinster squad.

Not too disappointing for Leinster, losing is annoying but not the end of the world. Most players had forgettable enough games, I thought Reid was very good in probably his last game, nice to see him as captain for the end. I thought Clancy was terrible as always, but can't really complain because McFadden should have been sent off.

Baird was very good off the bench, looks like a massive talent (he's got to start for the U20s in the world cup surely), it was nice to see Connors playing fairly well as well after the injury he had.

Other than that if people were looking to force their way into the squad against Saracens they didn't really manage it, maybe Jack McGrath.

Glasgow giving Edinburgh a bit of a pumping tonight. Good to see them building on that win at Leinster. So the semi finals are now confirmed:

Leinster v Munster
Glasgow v Ulster

Fancy the home teams to come through but you never know.

Glasgow giving Edinburgh a bit of a pumping tonight. Good to see them building on that win at Leinster. So the semi finals are now confirmed:

Leinster v Munster
Glasgow v Ulster

Fancy the home teams to come through but you never know.
I wouldn't write off Munster/Ulster/Treviso/Connacht yet but I think is against Glasgow is definitely the most likely outcome.

I wouldn't write off Munster/Ulster/Treviso/Connacht yet but I think is against Glasgow is definitely the most likely outcome.

My bad. Was getting ahead of myself after a few vinos and didn't realise that the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

Just on the way home from that one now. Fairly forgettable one. Conway's botch job was diabolical. Really really bad from a guy with his experience. Beirne was good, Cloete good when he's not conceding brainless penalties. Goggin went very well I felt. Neil Cronin straight up can't kick but he's a pretty good scrummy outside that. He actually won a few turnovers and he was snappy enough.

For Connacht I thought Dean was quite good and he will develop into a fine player. Played confidently and not afraid of improvising.

Refereeing standard was poor again. The offside line was a fairly mythical abstract concept and the scrum interpretation baffled me a bit.

Just on the way home from that one now. Fairly forgettable one. Conway's botch job was diabolical. Really really bad from a guy with his experience. Beirne was good, Cloete good when he's not conceding brainless penalties. Goggin went very well I felt. Neil Cronin straight up can't kick but he's a pretty good scrummy outside that. He actually won a few turnovers and he was snappy enough.

For Connacht I thought Dean was quite good and he will develop into a fine player. Played confidently and not afraid of improvising.

Refereeing standard was poor again. The offside line was a fairly mythical abstract concept and the scrum interpretation baffled me a bit.
In fairness to Andy. He just eased up but credit to Stephen Fitz he never gave up.
Neil was good but was literally tild 7m8ns before start that he was in.
Tadgh was on fire and Goggin I think may have found his best spot. Calvin was lively and mixed it with Aki.

As is said though job done and on to next werkend. Treviso are a dangerous team and we won't be taken them lightly.

Agreed on Frank Murphy tonight. Very poor for both teams.

Also didn't even know it was in existence but we were given some plaque for winning the interpro for season

Last edited:
Contrary to the OP, both Welsh games did have real significance - Scarlets still had an outside chance of reaching 3rd place depending on other results going their way in addition to them winning, while Blues v Ospreys would determine who'd enter the forthcoming European Cup play-off (and incidentally get home advantage in it).

Anyway, Scarlets seem to be really out-of-form - yes I know they've had a lot of injuries and disruptions this season, but post-6N with their internationals back I'd have expected much better. In particular, Halfpenny had a mare, missing all those conversions - I reckon he still hasn't fully recovered from his concussion. More generally, a lot of sloppiness and missed tackles by the team (again).

As for the Blues-Ospreys match, it went down to the wire - the lead changed hands or equalised quite a few times, and in the end the Ospreys did just about enough to clinch it. While there is still a lot of work to do for sure, post-Tandy things have definitely improved, and their home match against the Scarlets to play in the HC is a final chance for real redemption.

I enjoyed watching the Warriors defeat Edinburgh 34-10 in front of a full house in Glasgow yesterday. And on to the semi-finals in two weeks. Go Warriors!

200px-Glasgow_Warriors_logo.svg.png

Last edited:
Contrary to the OP, both Welsh games did have real significance - Scarlets still had an outside chance of reaching 3rd place depending on other results going their way in addition to them winning, while Blues v Ospreys would determine who'd enter the forthcoming European Cup play-off (and incidentally get home advantage in it).

Anyway, Scarlets seem to be really out-of-form - yes I know they've had a lot of injuries and disruptions this season, but post-6N with their internationals back I'd have expected much better. In particular, Halfpenny had a mare, missing all those conversions - I reckon he still hasn't fully recovered from his concussion. More generally, a lot of sloppiness and missed tackles by the team (again).

As for the Blues-Ospreys match, it went down to the wire - the lead changed hands or equalised quite a few times, and in the end the Ospreys did just about enough to clinch it. While there is still a lot of work to do for sure, post-Tandy things have definitely improved, and their home match against the Scarlets to play in the HC is a final chance for real redemption.

There were a lot of claims during the 6N that Wales had the fittest squad and by all accounts were playing with the highest level of intensity. Is there any chance that the Scarlets players in particular just couldn't maintain that level of intensity afterwards and were run into the ground during the 6N? I'm also wondering if Pivac nearing his exit at Scarlets is a factor with some players maybe having an eye on the World Cup and less motivation for the Pro14.

I think anyone claiming Wales had the fittest squad were dopey at best. Scarlets just lost key players at a time when the league's standard rose

Latest posts