• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro12: Round 20

Phillips, Biggar, Williams, Hook, Bishop, Bowe, Byrne... Most certainly galacticos.
Add in Holah, Collins as well. That being said, I never felt Jerry really did much for the Os.

Bishop Galactico? Biggar wasn't at that level back in 2010, and still isn't now, he's developed into a solid international not a flamboyant worldwide star galactico.

I think of the term Galacticos to mean world stars full of flair such as Real Madrid had with Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Beckham etc. Not Paul James, Hibbard, Jonathan Thomas, Biggar and Bishop. And Phillips was a bit overrated as well tbh at that point, good but not ever World XV good (not consistently anyway). Ryan Jones had lost form completely around the time of 2009-2010 and it is only since he converted to 6 his form has picked up. Whilst Byrne went downhill as soon as people started putting him in World XV's and Guscott called him the best in the world.

Also Jerry was a good player for the Ospreys, not right at his best like he was with the All Blacks but he was solid as a brick tackler and constantly stopped players passing the gainline and always looked for work with ball in hand too and was a solid option to hit the gainline there. The side with him in it really should have reached the HCup semi finals in 2013 against Biarritz and would have been favourites to reach the final after that as well.

Bishop Galactico? Biggar wasn't at that level back in 2010, and still isn't now, he's developed into a solid international not a flamboyant worldwide star galactico.

I think of the term Galacticos to mean world stars full of flair such as Real Madrid had with Figo, Zidane, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Beckham etc. Not Paul James, Hibbard, Jonathan Thomas, Biggar and Bishop. And Phillips was a bit overrated as well tbh at that point, good but not ever World XV good (not consistently anyway). Ryan Jones had lost form completely around the time of 2009-2010 and it is only since he converted to 6 his form has picked up. Whilst Byrne went downhill as soon as people started putting him in World XV's and Guscott called him the best in the world.

Also Jerry was a good player for the Ospreys, not right at his best like he was with the All Blacks but he was solid as a brick tackler and constantly stopped players passing the gainline and always looked for work with ball in hand too and was a solid option to hit the gainline there. The side with him in it really should have reached the HCup semi finals in 2013 against Biarritz and would have been favourites to reach the final after that as well.

Once exception in that backline. ;)
Ospreys were robbed in Biarritz three years back. It still pains me.

Just on POC. He actually hits ball by the way and was entitled to play. Yes it was fortunate and accidental but what will he be banned for. It wasn't his foot that hit Kearney it was his shin while his foot hit ball. So in my opinion it won't even be cited and IF it is then I sure Healy BOD and Jennings along with Dave O Callaghan will have very anxious wait.

...................Ospreys were robbed in Biarritz three years back. It still pains me.

May I suggest that it was you guys to blame for that loss and yes, you should have won!!!!:lol:

Just on POC. He actually hits ball by the way and was entitled to play. Yes it was fortunate and accidental but what will he be banned for. It wasn't his foot that hit Kearney it was his shin while his foot hit ball. So in my opinion it won't even be cited and IF it is then I sure Healy BOD and Jennings along with Dave O Callaghan will have very anxious wait.

I am sure you mean UNfortunate?

Sorry, he must have seen that the head was alongside the ball and he kicked anyway....whether it was the boot or the shin is irrelevant. The fact is he could have avoided kicking the head but he did not....

Last edited:
May I suggest that it was you guys to blame for that loss and yes, you should have won!!!!:lol:

Nah, that game was there for taking and if I recall correctly that pathetic referee George Clancy bottled out of giving a deliberate knock on in the last play (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8613575.stm). Sadly, somehow Clancy still referees at the top of the game right now despite being an awful referee.

I think the Ospreys would have gone on to reach the final after that and saved us from the utter borefest that the Toulouse vs Biarritz final was.

Am I the only one that thinks despite it being accidental its still reckless and should've been at least a yellow if not red? He kicked him in the head at the end of the day and if that's not at least a yellow what is?

Am I the only one that thinks despite it being accidental its still reckless and should've been at least a yellow if not red? He kicked him in the head at the end of the day and if that's not at least a yellow what is?

I agree, especially since Kearney got stretchered off and will now miss a few weeks because of it.

Nah, that game was there for taking and if I recall correctly that pathetic referee George Clancy bottled out of giving a deliberate knock on in the last play (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/8613575.stm). Sadly, somehow Clancy still referees at the top of the game right now despite being an awful referee.

Ah come on....you cant blame a ref for what happened in the last minute......what happened in the other 79?

Ospreys had so many chance and they stuffed them up and gave the penalties that Yach thrives on!!

I think Clancey is a first class prick but I agee with Peat.....if you are talking about the ref, you have not played well enough!!

Had a few beers with some Ospreys guys in San Seb and they agreed with that summation................!!

I think the Ospreys would have gone on to reach the final after that and saved us from the utter borefest that the Toulouse vs Biarritz final was.

Biarritz have been boring for a number of years and they have not learnt YET that they have to do more than play a 9 man game to win anything......

Tony correct I meant unfortunate. But Kearney put ball out and was pulling back in when POC was kicking. Kearney would've been pinged for holding on. As regards the players reaction it was enough for me - not 1 Leinster player reacted even though they seen it.
What annoys me most was/is you have this crap been stirred up by D4 clowns in RTE - Ryle Nugent try to say it was intentional and others just to have story when what's lost in all this is the game was probably 1 of the best contests between the 2 teams for a long time

The kick to the head wasn't intentional from O'Connell but that doesn't mean it should go unpunished. I think he deserves to sit for a week because of the incident. Nothing more, nothing less.

People have been banned for reckless non-malicious incidents before.
Ban, I'd say.

I highly doubt that POC fully intended to kick Kearney in the head, however very few incidents on the rugby pitch are intentional, rather rushes of blood. Trying to kick the ball there was always going to result in a boot/shin to the face, and that is reckless play. You're not just allowed to kick the ball regardless of what's in your way, this game would be a complete mess otherwise. So no munstermuffin he wasn't entitled to do what he did. It wasn't unfortunate, is was completely reckless.

I don't know if what I said came of otherwise but I do feel it deserves a citing but a short enough ban.

The kick to the head wasn't intentional from O'Connell but that doesn't mean it should go unpunished. I think he deserves to sit for a week because of the incident. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed, trying to justify it is disgusting. It was inches away from a boot to the temple and GBH, O'Connell was wired up too far the whole game and you could tell it by the way he was talking to Owens. Rob Kearney looked sick after the game with worry and was talking to the doctors.

I don't want POC to miss the Clermont match but he can't complain if he does.

Yeah in fairness I don't know how Rob could in particular play on and fully concntrate with his brother being unconscious.

Just to set record straight as someone who was personally at the tunnel and helped with stretcher, Dave Kearney was NOT unconscious at any stage and was alert and moving coming off on stretcher.

Just to set record straight as someone who was personally at the tunnel and helped with stretcher, Dave Kearney was NOT unconscious at any stage and was alert and moving coming off on stretcher.
It doesn't matter whether he was unconscious or not, he was still kicked in the head. Why should his consciousness coming off on a stretcher come into it? Should players be punished only if the other person is injured? Say no ban for no injury, 1 week for concussion, 2 weeks if the other person has been knocked out, 3 weeks for a broken limb etc......

O'Connell didn't intentionally boot Kearney in the head, he's not that sort of player. His concern for Kearney after the incident was commendable and genuine. He should still face action for it however.

It doesn't matter whether he was unconscious or not, he was still kicked in the head. Why should his consciousness coming off on a stretcher come into it? Should players be punished only if the other person is injured? Say no ban for no injury, 1 week for concussion, 2 weeks if the other person has been knocked out, 3 weeks for a broken limb etc......

O'Connell didn't intentionally boot Kearney in the head, he's not that sort of player. His concern for Kearney after the incident was commendable and genuine. He should still face action for it however.

+1

Latest posts