• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro12: Round 20

People have been banned for reckless non-malicious incidents before.
Ban, I'd say.

Henson was banned for 7 weeks for this. In hindsight of some of the bans which have come since (8 weeks for gouging, 4 weeks for stamping on heads etc) this is one of the most stupidly over exaggerated bans ever handed out. POC was far worse than this.

diapo486fef69999d9563e30e42660f9d3e0e.gif

Less malicious and dangerous than ROG on Scott in the Ireland/Scotland game in this year's 6N that I think he got no more than two weeks for.......as they say...."The law is an arse"!!

It doesn't matter whether he was unconscious or not, he was still kicked in the head. Why should his consciousness coming off on a stretcher come into it? Should players be punished only if the other person is injured? Say no ban for no injury, 1 week for concussion, 2 weeks if the other person has been knocked out, 3 weeks for a broken limb etc......

O'Connell didn't intentionally boot Kearney in the head, he's not that sort of player. His concern for Kearney after the incident was commendable and genuine. He should still face action for it however.
Look if he gets ban I won't argue as it 50/50 call. My point been Snoop people making stories up like Kearney was unconscious, POC did it deliberate and otherwise is wrong. Dave Kearney walked away from Thomond Park thankfully.
But as I said if POC gets cited BOD Healy Jennings and Dave OC will walk the plank too and as was said today 3 key points:
1) Leinster Rugby didn't even comment as its media making this an issue
2) If 1 player gets cited the whole thing could be messy with Ireland loosing and if BODs kick is caught that could hurt his Lions claim (good for Ireland though)
3) The incident occurred as Dave Kearney attempted to pull ball back in to him which is illegal and POC followed ball (which he connected with)

I wonder how different the reaction would be had Leo Cullen done the same thing to Simon Zebo.
Healy stood straight on Munster players head???????
Not as much uproar and had Leinster been in HEC semi and Munster not that would've been main issue.

And again I state it sad as the game wasn't dirty, well contested and fairly balanced

And again I state it sad as the game wasn't dirty, well contested and fairly balanced.....But as I said if POC gets cited BOD Healy Jennings and Dave OC will walk the plank too

Thank goodness I watch the "softies" in the French Top 14 then if all that has been going on and it is still not a dirty game!!

Thank goodness I watch the "softies" in the French Top 14 then if all that has been going on and it is still not a dirty game!!
All that but nobody reacted malicious, when POC incident happened not 1 Leinster player or fan was enraged, when Healy stamped on Munster player nobody reacted, when DOC2 and Jennings scrapped noone came in and when BOD kicked out on ground again everyone just got on. As I said it was clean game yet media make it sound like a war to sell papers. It was most enjoyable games in last few years and that saying something considering we lost and I include a few wins in list I rank below

Look if he gets ban I won't argue as it 50/50 call. My point been Snoop people making stories up like Kearney was unconscious, POC did it deliberate and otherwise is wrong. Dave Kearney walked away from Thomond Park thankfully.
But as I said if POC gets cited BOD Healy Jennings and Dave OC will walk the plank too and as was said today 3 key points:
1) Leinster Rugby didn't even comment as its media making this an issue
2) If 1 player gets cited the whole thing could be messy with Ireland loosing and if BODs kick is caught that could hurt his Lions claim (good for Ireland though)
3) The incident occurred as Dave Kearney attempted to pull ball back in to him which is illegal and POC followed ball (which he connected with)

No it isn't. I don't think it was in any way intentional, but it was an incredibly stupid thing to do. Fact of the matter is that it was very wreckless play and that is not acceptable, whatever the circumstances. Should you put your fellow professionals into harm in an unnecessary manner you deserve a ban.

No it isn't. I don't think it was in any way intentional, but it was an incredibly stupid thing to do. Fact of the matter is that it was very wreckless play and that is not acceptable, whatever the circumstances. Should you put your fellow professionals into harm in an unnecessary manner you deserve a ban.

Indeed - unfortunately for POC, intent is irrelevant. It is the action that is sanctioned.

For comparison - when someone does a spear tackle by accident - does that stop them getting a ban? No.

Indeed - unfortunately for POC, intent is irrelevant. It is the action that is sanctioned.

For comparison - when someone does a spear tackle by accident - does that stop them getting a ban? No.

Great point. You're exactly right here.

Joe Bearman was banned for 4 weeks recently for this piece of rucking and the player wasn't harmed at all, and again was just a bit clumsy clearing out rather than malicious, but if it doesn't stop him getting banned then POC should be banned too otherwise it is unfair and inconsistent.

diapo76d3499c77c736654bad17fae7f51b36.gif

Great point. You're exactly right here.

Joe Bearman was banned for 4 weeks recently for this piece of rucking and the player wasn't harmed at all, and again was just a bit clumsy clearing out rather than malicious, but if it doesn't stop him getting banned then POC should be banned too otherwise it is unfair and inconsistent.

Totally agree. However we all know that tip tackles (or similar) is the IRB's current pet hate that they are 'stamping down on'. Kicking someone in the head is possibly more dangerous and in most cases easier to avoid.

This could really harm POC's Lions chances which would be a shame but nobody's fault but his own.

John Afoa was given 4 weeks for this last season as well. No malice, just a firm hit that went marginally wrong. No reason why a kick for the ball that went slightly wrong (or in this case quite heavily wrong) should be any different to a tackle.

5n6sxw.jpg

I meant a 50/50 call as in if he cited. But will point out players mentioned already will go with POC especially Healy but lets point out:
- Players on either side never even commented
- In derby games players rarely get cited as citing officer is Irish
- Sexton was last player and got 2 weeks for purposely kicking Mafi so POC may get 1 week and any ban (upon appeal) may be postponed until after Clermont game due to timing.
But as I pointed out I don't think he will be cited but even if he was how'd a 2 week ban which is max it'll be harm Lions chances. Lets remember IF cited everything is dealt with by IRFU
Also tackles are treated more seriously than kicks. Agree or not that a fact stated in guidelines

Well alot here were totally wrong. Paul O'Connell will not be cited. Confirmed and stated he was careless but not intentional and considering Dave Kearney did try move ball back to him the actions are nowhere deemed a red card offense and therefor no further action will be taken.

Just shows how corrupt the system really is..................................

Well alot here were totally wrong. Paul O'Connell will not be cited. Confirmed and stated he was careless but not intentional and considering Dave Kearney did try move ball back to him the actions are nowhere deemed a red card offense and therefor no further action will be taken.
Not really. People here were expressing an opinion that he should be cited. I'm not wrong in my opinion that he should be cited just like you're not wrong in your opinion that he shouldn't be. If I said he would be cited, then perhaps I'd be proven wrong.

I'm on about media Snoop as there was witch hunt today and a certain Thornley may have burnt a bridge. And some here did say he'd be cited I not aiming at you. But correct point made was action was not a red card offense and it wasn't which the action needs to be. Also it wasn't a cover up as ERC had look too and I think IRFU will be happy as I said Healy BOD Jennings and OOC2 were sweating too. But this might suit us going to France been bitter

Ah yes. For some reason I thought the Pro12 had independent citing commissioners now. If I'd remembered this would be smuggled out of the light under Irish omerta, I'd have predicted no citing either.

Which is, frankly, a disgrace.

Munster's Paul O'Connell has escaped sanction after his kick to the head - that left Dave Kearney with concussion and a few weeks on the sideline - was viewed by citing commissioner Eddie Walsh to be careless and nothing more.

It was decided that he was making a genuine attempt to kick the ball, and there was no deliberate intent, therefore he has no case to answer. http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/04/31...out-dave-kearney-with-clumsy-kick-to-the-head

from rugbydump's facebook

Latest posts