• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Protective Wear

bblackcat

Academy Player
Hi there - I'm new here and just after some advice. My son has always been interested in rugby something I have encouraged and he is looking at joining a club.
I am happy for him to have such an interest, but obviously, as his Mum, it is my job to worry about him!! I want to get a step ahead and look at protective wear for him. What is the most important thing I should look at for him? I'm assuming it is a mouthguard/headguard?
Any help greatly received

Mouthpiece is definitely the most important - anything else is supplementary to that
A lot of people don't use any sort of protective gear apart from a mouthguard
Shoulder pads are becoming more and more common now, though it's important that these aren't used as a safeguard (i.e correct technique for tackling should be learnt, and then the pads used as a bit of extra padding, rather than using the padding to compensate for poor technique and allowing yourself to hit harded because of the padding) - I only wear pads in a match, not in training

Headgear is less common, though a lot of people do wear them
There's conflicted opinions about whether they do actually help that much (other than to prevents cuts and some bruises) - there's no studies to show they prevent concussions, and wearing one could almost lull you into a false sense of security and you could put yourself in more danger

So yeah, for me: Mouthguard definitely, then anything else if/when you'd decide you needed them (though many many people don't use any)

Mouthguard is essential
Shoulderpads are good for giving confidence in the collisions and do help prevent any nasty bone on bone collisions.
Headguard I find is wonderful...possibly just me , I will stop wearing it however this season as I am moving to the backs :/

Gumshield / mouthguard is a must (good fitting one too). extra padding should only be used if really needed.

I use shoulder pads (and will be getting ones with more cover than my last set when I can play again) as its just nice gives me confidence to go for tackles more often, but as olyy said technique > pads.
Scrum caps are all down to feel, if a forward they can be good to reduce rubbing on ears (and can help prevent cauliflower ear) otherwise they can stop cuts etc. But as I said some people like wearing them.

Last edited:
The only thing I would recommend is a gumshield. I think those soft foam shoulder pads provide a false sense of security when going into contact. Maybe a scrum cap if your kid is playing in the tight five, but even then using tap will suffice in preventing cauliflower ears.

Make sure he always uses a gumshield though. I ditched mine come senior rugby and got a front tooth smashed out.

Do as I say, not as I do. :lol:

As said by just about everyone, mouth guard is an absolute most at all times. The last 7s tourny I played in my friend chipped off half his front tooth and had to go around like an idiot for a few weeks. Absolutely vital.

I wear shoulder pads in most games/heavy contact sessions, though I honestly don't think they do much other than boost confidence going into contact. I grew up playing football (the American version) so having something on my shoulders just makes me more comfortable when hitting.

If he's locking scrum caps are definitely nice so your ears don't hurt like hell after a few scrums.

As everyone said gumsheild is vital. Then just technique. If he gets it right he shouldn't suffer more than the usual knocks and bangs.

Gumshield a must. It would also be wise to get him wearing headgear. May not make a huge difference safety wise, but it'll give him more confidence with the physical aspects of the game.

Mouth guards as everyone is saying.

From my experience shoulder pads dont help that much it just restricts the movement in arms when passing but then again i'm a back........ if he is a prop then mabye they will help as when i played there my shoulders hurt like hell after bout 10 scrums. If he is a second rower scrum caps adn as far as i know back rowers dont need anything but it may help him feel more confident

Latest posts