• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Question for people from English Speaking Countries

Yeah, my school only gave us the option of French or German (you could do both at the same time), would have loved to learn Spanish, it seems much more useful than those two.

We learn Irish from age 4 til we finish school, but the amount of properly bilingual people leaving schools is pretty low, due to the way it is taught.

In the Flemisch education system kids start learning French when they're about 10-11 years old, English comes in at 13 or 14. If you study modern languages (like I did, combined with Maths, what a nightmare) you choose between German and Spanish when you're 15-16. This was when I was in school, I think they changed it a few years back, I'd have to ask one of my younger family members.
Quite a difference from one country to another.
How does the British grading system work? Or is Education one of those matters that are handled regionally? Just wondering, I don't see how you can go from A to U. I just got my grades in percentages.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laetca @ Jan 7 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In the Flemisch education system kids start learning French when they're about 10-11 years old, English comes in at 13 or 14. If you study modern languages (like I did, combined with Maths, what a nightmare) you choose between German and Spanish when you're 15-16. This was when I was in school, I think they changed it a few years back, I'd have to ask one of my younger family members.
How does the British grading system work? Or is Education one of those matters that are handled regionally? Just wondering, I don't see how you can go from A to U. I just got my grades in percentages.[/b]

The English system is mad. Don't go near it. Over here we have a much more sensible sytem:

After Primary Education (5-12) you enter Secondary School. From 1st year to 3rd year you are on the Junior Certificate course, which is in essance a preparation for the senior cycle and gives you a grounding in about 11 subjects.

4th year is a bit of a gap year. You do alot of practical work such a work experiacne, social projects, usually a musical or play etc.

Then onto 5th and 6th year, the Senior cycle. At the end of this you sit the Leaving Certificate exam. You have to do 6 subjectsbut most people do more (I'm doing 8) and you get marked on your best 6. Irish, English and Maths are mandatory for all, while there are three examinable levels: Higher, Ordinary and Foundation. The marking system here gets a little complecatied, so here's a chart:

90 or over .........................A1
85 but less than 90..............A2
80 but less than 85..............B1
75 but less than 80..............B2
70 but less than 75..............B3
65 but less than 70..............C1
60 but less than 65..............C2
55 but less than 60..............C3
50 but less than 55...............D1
45 but less than 50...............D2
40 but less than 45...............D3
25 but less than 40...............E
10 but less than 25...............F
Less than 10 No Grade[/list]

For Higher Level an A1 gives you 100 poinsts, an A2 90, a B1 85, a B2 80 etc.
For Ordinary Level an A1 gives you 60 points, an A2 55, a B1 50 etc.
Foundation points are a bit crap so it doesn't matter.

The most you can get is 600 points as a total adn this point system us used to determine what college courses are available to you eg. I'[m aiming to do Medicinal Chemistry which is 475.

In America it isn't introuduced untill High School (approximately at age 14). It's available at an earlier age, but it's not a big requirement of any sort here. Very few Americans speak more than English, unless they are of some particular ethnic background.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Jan 8 2010, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In America it isn't introuduced untill High School (approximately at age 14). It's available at an earlier age, but it's not a big requirement of any sort here. Very few Americans speak more than English, unless they are of some particular ethnic background.[/b]

that's what i remember. though i did take french (with choices of latin, german, spanish, french) in junior high (ages 12-13).
but that was last century.

i would imagine in southwestern schools, spanish must be introduced possibly in gradeschool, but not as a course per se.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 7 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laetca @ Jan 7 2010, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How does the British grading system work? Or is Education one of those matters that are handled regionally? Just wondering, I don't see how you can go from A to U. I just got my grades in percentages.[/b]

The English system is mad. Don't go near it. Over here we have a much more sensible sytem:

After Primary Education (5-12) you enter Secondary School. From 1st year to 3rd year you are on the Junior Certificate course, which is in essance a preparation for the senior cycle and gives you a grounding in about 11 subjects.

4th year is a bit of a gap year. You do alot of practical work such a work experiacne, social projects, usually a musical or play etc.

Then onto 5th and 6th year, the Senior cycle. At the end of this you sit the Leaving Certificate exam. You have to do 6 subjectsbut most people do more (I'm doing 8) and you get marked on your best 6. Irish, English and Maths are mandatory for all, while there are three examinable levels: Higher, Ordinary and Foundation. The marking system here gets a little complecatied, so here's a chart:

90 or over .........................A1
85 but less than 90..............A2
80 but less than 85..............B1
75 but less than 80..............B2
70 but less than 75..............B3
65 but less than 70..............C1
60 but less than 65..............C2
55 but less than 60..............C3
50 but less than 55...............D1
45 but less than 50...............D2
40 but less than 45...............D3
25 but less than 40...............E
10 but less than 25...............F
Less than 10 No Grade[/list]

For Higher Level an A1 gives you 100 poinsts, an A2 90, a B1 85, a B2 80 etc.
For Ordinary Level an A1 gives you 60 points, an A2 55, a B1 50 etc.
Foundation points are a bit crap so it doesn't matter.

The most you can get is 600 points as a total adn this point system us used to determine what college courses are available to you eg. I'[m aiming to do Medicinal Chemistry which is 475.
[/b][/quote]

That's not that much different to the whole UCAS Points system though. Like each grade in your A Levels are worth a certain amount (A is 120, B is 100, C is 80, D is 60, E is 40 F is 20 and U is nothing - something like that anyway). The U stands for 'Unrated' I think. When you apply for Uni through UCAS, they'll eventually reply to you saying whats the minimum grades they want you to get to study there. They usually say something like Requirments - 300 UCAS Points from 3 A2 Subjects with at least a B in German/History/Whatever subject you wanna do in Uni.

Except for Medicine, you don't have to apply for university here. Nor do they look at your grades. Even for Medicine you simply have to take a test.

The only requirement is having completed a secondary school. Could be any type of secondary school too (there are 4 kinds, one academical, one technological, one where you learn a trade, and one for arts.)

I was thinking of doing medicine earlier in the year but had a big change of heat, far too much hassle. You have to get around 530 points, do an aptitiude test, pass an interview and then go through a health screening. Then a intense seven year course during which you're guarenteed to have zero money. Not worth the effort.

Alot of my nephews and nieces were taught to speak Maori since they were born and they go to Kura Kaupapa (Maori Kindergarden) so they speak it most of the day except for around people that don't understand it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Jan 14 2010, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was thinking of doing medicine earlier in the year but had a big change of heat, far too much hassle. You have to get around 530 points, do an aptitiude test, pass an interview and then go through a health screening. Then a intense seven year course during which you're guarenteed to have zero money. Not worth the effort.[/b]
Wise choice - don't commit to something you don't love.

Usually in England & Wales (not sure about Scotland) we learn a foreign language from the age of 12.

However, throughout the European Union, children learn hypocrisy from a very early age.

Latest posts