• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RaboDirect Pro 12 Final - Leinster vs Ospreys - 27/05/2012

Which begs another question, why not have an additional referee in top level games whose sole responsibility is to watch for offside? Assistant referees/touch judges don't help at all and referees have too hard a job refereeing the breakdown to concentrate on defensive positioning.

I don't think additional officials are needed, touch judges just need to actually start doing their jobs as opposed to cowarding out of making any decisions.

Which begs another question, why not have an additional referee in top level games whose sole responsibility is to watch for offside? Assistant referees/touch judges don't help at all and referees have too hard a job refereeing the breakdown to concentrate on defensive positioning.

I don't see a need for that really. Assistant referees do contribute to offside decisions (well the decent ones do anyway), that's their job. There's not much more they need to survey in open play other than offside and forward passes, and if the player is in touch. Yet another referee wouldn't be a good idea, just adding another level unneeded officiating that would just lead to confusion for everyone.

In most games the offside line is refereed pretty well imo. We've got to accept that things will be missed and get on with it. I prefer a game where small things like slight forward passes or knock ons are allowed to go, because the game flows better then, and that's what I want. I feel that some ref's are waaay to picky, and that completely ruins a game. If I remember correctly, the referee in the Wales v Italy game this 6 nations was stupidly picky at the breakdown. Technically every penalty or free kick he awarded was correct by the letter of the law, but it just ruined the game from a spectator's standpoint and was as bad as a ref that misses some quite blatant things. Good ref's are the ones who are quiet in open play, but stern enough to sort out any mess in the tight swiftly and sternly so it's cut out early.

As has been mentioned I don't think more officials are needed simply because referee needs to be responsible for the rulings in the game. I agree with you that Assistant referees who unlike touch judges have a role in decision making should do more to assist the ref. its so easy as well all it takes is a simple chat into the mike. I have to admit as Dull has said some AR are better than others, Pearson tends to make a good AR tbh.

I don't think additional officials are needed, touch judges just need to actually start doing their jobs as opposed to cowarding out of making any decisions.
100% agree with this. Touch Judges are too afraid to step up and make the call.

Watched the match for the third time this morning. Still feels amazing. Yes Ospreys!

Bump.

We won the league :)

One Heineken cup
leinster-cup-winne_1409210c.jpg

Two Heineken cup
leinster_cardiff.jpg

Three

Three Heiniken Cups

leinster-heineken-cup-2012-win.jpg

Latest posts