• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Real Tackles....

J

jaco

ok, I know some think american football is for girl-scouts...

so, here are some real tackles..., almost all their wide-receivers all run sub 11 second 100m, their defensive linemen are all over 135 kgs, some over 145-150.... benching over 200kgs...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XZXm1NnRc6M

its a different game, but yeah..... lets get physical

Ah nice video, and like any good tackle compilation a few illegal tackles in there as well.

if you wanna see people do the same stuff but without the helmets and kevlar here you go.

Try savers and Rib breakers 9

the latest one, there are 8 others if you'd like to have a look, #8 was pretty good as well.

Ah nice video, and like any good tackle compilation a few illegal tackles in there as well.

if you wanna see people do the same stuff but without the helmets and kevlar here you go.

Try savers and Rib breakers 9

the latest one, there are 8 others if you'd like to have a look, #8 was pretty good as well.

[/b]

YES! Really nice video there. It shows that rugby is by far the more harder one.

Can I spare all of our fingers and finish this thread myself?

___

LOMUIZBEST! - 'OMG WY DO DEY WARE PADZ, DAT IZ GHEY'

BASINGSTOK_BRUISER - 'YEH! RUGBY IS A REEL MANZ SPORT!1, I H8 DEEZ AMERIFAGZ'

*any one of the plethora of fine TRF posters* - 'yes, but you'll find it's actually an interesting sport, despite the padding and the diminished skin on shin physicality.

BASINGSTOKE_BRUISER - LOL UR A POOFTUR!

___

I enjoy watching American Football, it was a big part of my life growing up because my dad played center for the Dundee team (The Walers, now the Sharks if I'm not mistaken).
The pads make little difference, because I don't tune in to a sport to watch people get really hurt, if anything it's totally the antithesis of why I watch and indeed enjoy watching Rugby, Aussie Rules, MMA, American Football and a myriad of other physically strenuous sports. I watch them for the skill the players have, or for pointers for my own participation (in MMA and Rugby).
The argument 'because they wear padding it detracts from the sport' is a childish and frankly trite.

Sorry, but when threads degenerate to arguments like this, it really get my goat.
Call this a preemptive strike.

PS; the American Football video is awesome, I just don't suffer posts like 'cacamou's' well.

you have to also remember guys

american football is a collision sport which means more protection is needed

whereas

rugby is a contact sport on average the hits arent as violent as those in american football

but coming from someone who has played both, rugby players are definitely tougher, and i also think rugby is a lot more painful!!

well i personally think Jerry Collins is one of the more consistent tacklers there are. maybe its just his size

Its also easier to line a person up. Timing is the most important part of a big tackle.

We have to realise that the RULES for each game determine how the players tackle.

Rugby Union: After a tackle play is still continuing. If a player is not held down he can get up and carry on running. Play stops when the ref blows his whistle.

Rugby League: Play stops when a player is tackled and held down.

American Football: Play stops as soon as any other part of the body excpt the feet of the ball carrier hits the ground.

With this in mind each sport must tackle differently. Rugby has to have tackles that are sure to stop the player progressing forward as making them fall over does not guarantee he will get up and carry on running. Rugby is also limited in that they cannot cross their arm over their chest and do a shoulder hit. Their arms must be "open" and they must show they are attempting to wrap around the player. Rugby Union tackles must also be done with a sense of getting up straight away and trying to pry the ball out of the ball carriers hands as well as being onside and having the opposition contesting for the ball at the same time. Above the shoulders and grasscut tackles are illegal.

Rugby league tackles do allow the shoulder hit though they must be careful that they hold the player down as the ball carrier can also carry on running if they are not held. Like union a tackle above the shoulders and grasscuts are illegal.

American football does not have any secondary agenda to worry about after the tackle. They also do not have to worry about "holding" the ball carrier down. They have one objective...and that is to get the ball carrier to hit the turf. They have no rules on how this is done and can project their bodies as torpedoes aimed at any part of the ball carriers body whether it be the head or the knees. Because of the high danger of this type of tackling the need for helmuts is a must to protect the head.

The rules of Union and League outlaw tackles that can harm whilst with American Football there are no rules and therefore protective gear is paramount to avoid excessive harm.

I would suggest that the Americans idea of padding is better for self preservation than the Union and League idea of no padding and making certain tackles illegal. Union and League players have to constantly check the way they tackle...the problem with this is that humans make mistakes despite their best efforts and often we see many concussed Union and League players from stray tackles as well as other injuries from having unprotected padding in general play. American players can fly full bore at each other with the security of knowing that they will have a better chance of escaping injury.

So with this in mind then I would say that there is more force involved in American hits due to the protection. However there is more damage involved in Union and League hits (especially League) due to their being no protection. This equates to:

American Football: Most force expended in the hit

Rugby League: Most damage incurred in the hit

Rugby Union: Most risk of injury incurred after the hit (from the ruck, maul situation)

Therefore the question on which game is the hardest is in a sense a relative question. American Football hits are the hardest hits.....League has the hardest injury incurred from hits....Rugby has on average the softest of the hits yet creates the most injuries as the nature of the game leaves players unprotected and blindsided from multiple contacts in multiple directions. There are more numerous and horrific injuries and occasional deaths in Rugby Union than in League or American Football. With that in mind and judging the sports by the AFTERMATH.....then Rugby is the toughest sport of them all.

I think the pads in american football make it more dangerous as players feel safer and have less concern about getting injured. Also its a fact that an average american football career only last only three to for years. The style of tackling in american football is also far higher risk and would clearly lead to far more injuries. In terms of wich is the hardest sport it depends on what you mean in every game of rugby you will get cut and bruises and stuf like that where as in Americanm football youl hardly feel it it because of the pading. If you mean harder in terms of wich is more dangerous to play than its definately American football but I think rugby players are harder because your in pain loads in rugby and you just have to play through it. Also when Amercian football players do get hurt they will be of the pitch for a few minutes soon any way because of the huge sqauds

Holy ****.

when did this turn into a which sport is tougher debate ?
Seriously, you guys really didn't have to turn this into one of those threads where everybody writes a bloody essay to make their point heard on a topic that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place.
My post was made in jest for goodness sake, I'm well aware of the physicality of all the sports mentioned here, and I'm sure everyone else is as well.

Those who arn't are usually the blind ignorant fanboys anyway.

By the way, in american football it's illegal to tackle by grabbing the helmet, so there's that 1 thing they're not allowed to do.

hows about people post some more awesome tackle compilations eh ?, I'd love to see more from American football, maybe some leage ones too.

lol arena football...

overhyped and shown by ESPN only because of their financial interest in the league...and to think the channel got started by broadcasting NZ rugby and ice hockey in the late 70s - how far they have devolved.

Question: Why o why do "biggest hit" videos, be it NFL, Rugby, whatever, always have such a great amount of illegal hits? I often find it hard to show such a clip to friends who don't know the rules, as they end up thinking that high tackles, punches, facemask grabs, etc, are legal. The biggest hits I respect are those made within the rules. All those other "big hits" are perhaps more exciting, but also fill me with disgust, as they are basically just illegal cheap shots.

The armour make the players retarded, thinking they are God himself, thus the really hard tackles. Take away the armour and they're all pussies.

Most of those tackles are from behind and when the players arnt expecting it. Thats what comes from being able to pass forward. You have to look all around you to see whats coming.

I m A Saffa But Went To Varsity In Houston Belive Me Amerivan Football Is Not Soft It Irritates Me When They Say Rugby Is Harder If Gridiron U Will Kill Somebody Without Paddin Cause The Contacts Are Harder Than Rugby But I woul Say Just As Hard And Just As Much Respect For Both Sports

Latest posts