• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rl2 Constructive Criticism - Bad Points?

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jan 7 2006, 10:01 PM
Im fed up with banging my head on a brick wall over at the RL2 forums, wed finally gotten somewhere with that poll, and now marios in denial again, im seriously thinking of going out with a bang over there.
Ive been tempted to do the same so many times m8, but to be honest thats probably what would suit Mario down to the ground. Im sure he would love to ban me. I think it would serve me best in the long run to keep chipping away as I am doing.

Your not banging your head against the wall m8, Mario knows exactly what we are talking about and his pedantic replies show he doenst really have a strong defense to the argument of poor control.

He really should take a leaf out of Trevors book because I would much rather someone say to me " Hey we tried that but it was really hard to do "or " we know that bits not too good but we didnt have the time to change it " or basically any kind of truth, rather than the old " Well with out budget and time and the fact we have implemented many game features like kicking loose balls, jumping for the bomb, stripping, lap dancing " etc.

Basically he treats the consumer like we shouldnt concern ourselves with what goes on behind the scenes and if the control is like that its because it SHOULD be like that because they know best.

Fact is as " Ride " said, they are basically ruining our chances of getting a good video game of our loved sport.

Obviously the above is only my opinion blah blah, I know some are happy with it.

I have just tried to get back into RL2 and am still struggling to enjoy it. Even navigating around the franchise menu becomes boring real fast.

Overall RL2 has been a big letdown. There really hasn't been a lot of improvement between the two games.

Sidhe started really well and have certainly dropped the ball this time.

Someone mentioned before in this thread about how people were being criticised for not looking this game as not being rugby league fans over in the Sidhe forum. Well - do I have news for you. I used to go to school with Mario - he put a reset switch in my Commodore 64 years and years ago when he lived in Major Drive and he was not the biggest sports fan. In fact he was so far in the other direction it was not funny.

So just hit them back with:

"I am a bigger Rugby League fan than Mario hahahahahh!"

Yeah im gonna keep chipping away aswell, Ive been posting alot(see if you can guess whos me) over there lately as its been quiet here. I just want him to admit that there is a problem aswell, then we know that the executive producer knows there is a problem, and has no excuse not to fix it.

Mario not a huge sports fan?!? shock horror!

Originally posted by CeeJay@Jan 8 2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah im gonna keep chipping away aswell, Ive been posting alot(see if you can guess whos me) over there lately as its been quiet here. I just want him to admit that there is a problem aswell, then we know that the executive producer knows there is a problem, and has no excuse not to fix it.

Mario not a huge sports fan?!? shock horror!
Are you David Brent ? " Init Gareth ! "
<

well this is rl1 all over again

Mario denied RL1 had AI high tackle issues..........where ur team mate would coathanger tackle, and u havent hit the agression

Now we have denials of player movement etc etc

What crock

Not to mention that the head high tackle thing is still a problem, but instead of making the ai do it, it makes the player your contolling doit, regardless of agression. Why all the lies, as if we werent gonna find out the truth soon enough.

Originally posted by BigTen@Jan 8 2006, 01:45 AM
I have just tried to get back into RL2 and am still struggling to enjoy it.  Even navigating around the franchise menu becomes boring real fast.
I've had it on the PS2 occasionally since in an effort to 'give it another chance"................

....however you soon realise that the control is so poor that you feel more like a spectator then a player of the game.

Defense: Just let the computer make all the tackles for you - watch as the opposition throw the ball around like it is diseased and then watch as you get possession more often then not from an intercept.

Attack: When running just bash the X button for so called acceleration - throw a wild pass if you want for variety - then start bashing the "step" button to break the line and make a little distance before being swamped by the opposition..............repeat until you score.

Kicking: Regardless of the wind indicator just line up the arrow dead center of the goal, easily stop the marker in between the posts, and watch it fly over EVERY TIME!!

Oh the fun of it all............

Originally posted by Ride The Cliche+Jan 9 2006, 11:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ride The Cliche @ Jan 9 2006, 11:31 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BigTen
@Jan 8 2006, 01:45 AM
I have just tried to get back into RL2 and am still struggling to enjoy it.  Even navigating around the franchise menu becomes boring real fast.
I've had it on the PS2 occasionally since in an effort to 'give it another chance"................

....however you soon realise that the control is so poor that you feel more like a spectator then a player of the game.

Defense: Just let the computer make all the tackles for you - watch as the opposition throw the ball around like it is diseased and then watch as you get possession more often then not from an intercept.

Attack: When running just bash the X button for so called acceleration - throw a wild pass if you want for variety - then start bashing the "step" button to break the line and make a little distance before being swamped by the opposition..............repeat until you score.

Kicking: Regardless of the wind indicator just line up the arrow dead center of the goal, easily stop the marker in between the posts, and watch it fly over EVERY TIME!!

Oh the fun of it all............ [/b]
I gave RL2 more chances than I care to remember. But I finally came to the realisation I had been trying to avoid.

**** is **** ! End of !

Pretty harsh mate, but everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. Bring on RL3.

I have noticed that with the kicking for goal control (conversions, penalties). I mean how hard is it to make a decent kicking control?

You could just copy a golf game. Their meter would work just fine and they have been doing it for years.

Well, I think it is a good control and probably should be used in most rugby games, though my views could change when I get RC.

Originally posted by BigTen@Jan 10 2006, 10:38 AM
I have noticed that with the kicking for goal control (conversions, penalties). I mean how hard is it to make a decent kicking control?

You could just copy a golf game. Their meter would work just fine and they have been doing it for years.
yeah bigten, the tiger woods swing for conversions have always been an idea in my head since Tiger introduced it.

Instead of the a swing, its his kicking leg............then begin the animation from the start.

have the draw and fade factor from golf, and even the turbo for long kicks which are prone to go wider if any draw/face is incorporated.

wind and other factors play a part aswell.

Originally posted by ak47+Jan 10 2006, 10:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 10 2006, 10:49 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BigTen
@Jan 10 2006, 10:38 AM
I have noticed that with the kicking for goal control (conversions, penalties).  I mean how hard is it to make a decent kicking control?

You could just copy a golf game.  Their meter would work just fine and they have been doing it for years.
yeah bigten, the tiger woods swing for conversions have always been an idea in my head since Tiger introduced it.

Instead of the a swing, its his kicking leg............then begin the animation from the start.

have the draw and fade factor from golf, and even the turbo for long kicks which are prone to go wider if any draw/face is incorporated.

wind and other factors play a part aswell. [/b]
I seem to remember the wind actually doing something to your goal kicks in the RL1 (Knowsley would know)???

In this version it can be blowing a gale but still have little effect on the actual kick...........what happened to the programming here??

rugby league one did have wind, and its why their simplistic goal kicking was quite successful, however with its absence in Rl2 the kicking is a joke , I never miss kicks , ever, from anywhere.

Originally posted by Ride The Cliche+Jan 10 2006, 11:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ride The Cliche @ Jan 10 2006, 11:10 AM)</div>
Originally posted by ak47@Jan 10 2006, 10:49 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-BigTen
@Jan 10 2006, 10:38 AM
I have noticed that with the kicking for goal control (conversions, penalties).  I mean how hard is it to make a decent kicking control?

You could just copy a golf game.  Their meter would work just fine and they have been doing it for years.

wind and other factors play a part aswell.
I seem to remember the wind actually doing something to your goal kicks in the RL1 (Knowsley would know)???

In this version it can be blowing a gale but still have little effect on the actual kick...........what happened to the programming here?? [/b]
The wind was a big factor in RL1 and Im a real fan of the kicking. The system is simple enough but it worked within the scope of things. There is a real feeling of pressure in RL1 and I know when I play when I miss a kick I know it could cost me dearly.

Like you say, the wind in RL2 means nothing.

There are some real anomalies with regards to RL2, several things have gone backwards for what apparent reason ?

For what its worth I think this is Marios least evasive post with regards to the control and I think I will let it lie for now ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Alan's point is that whatever system of control is employed, not everybody will be happy. For example, some people in the control thread have said that the controls are perfect and should not be changed.

There is room to get the base control more liked by all, but we are adding the sliders and gameplay options precisely for the reason that not everybody will be satisfied whatever default control scheme or dynamics ship with the game so people can tweak the game to their own preferences.

Knowsleyroader : But then wouldnt you always have the problem of online play being just the default way ? So however you tweak it you would always then be at a disadvantage against an online player who stick with the default setup.

There are loads of people who keep saying make it like PES or Madden, couldnt you just base it similar to that ? I realise its not a matter of clicking your fingers and hey presto a movement engine but thats your problem

You dont ever see any threads saying PES players dont respond or Madden players dont respond or you cant change direction etc. Doesnt that tell you something ? There is a system out there that is pretty much acceptable to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsleyroader
You dont ever see any threads saying PES players dont respond or Madden players dont respond or you cant change direction etc. Doesnt that tell you something ? There is a system out there that is pretty much acceptable to everyone.

Mario :
...which is suitable for either football or American football style games. We will find what works best for our implementation of the series and for the sport of rugby league.

As I have said before, in future ***les we will look to improve control responsiveness, we will look to provide an increased level of tuning and customisation, and we will look to continue to improve everything across the board.

There is no need for you to keep bringing this up again and again. You have said your piece on movement, response and controls. We have acknowledged your feedback. We have suggested that we will endeavour to improve the situation. Move onto finding somewhere else to contribute or give the floor to someone else on the topic.

i dont agree with what everything KR says, especially about the franchise...i think you were unlucky to get so many injuries before the season even started...injuries are completely random in the game..it happened to me in one season, but the next season i had a small number of injuries.

BUT...i do agree with him about the poor responsiveness of player control...and nothing can be done about it, sliders do not improve the responsiveness and controls...that is the only area where i believe sidhe has gone backwards from RL1...i hope they make RL3 and fix up the controls....because RL2 would have been a great game but controlling the player was stuffed up and thats what prevented me from enjoying the game most of the time.

Originally posted by JJ-@Jan 27 2006, 08:21 PM
Might be exaggerating a bit Ripper.

No one here would say Rugby League 2 is a perfect game.

However I'm sure a lot of us respect Mario and Sidhe for their efforts with the fans. The fact that ignore and ban some would be because those particular fans are annoying, and it's fair enough if they don't want to deal with it.

And Rugby League 2 is a decent game that was probably overhyped by the fans, and when it came in short of their high expectations they cried, and cried some more.

Edit - Hopefully Mario might hang around here so I don't have to wade through the leagie forum?

I dont think expecting a decent control system is exactly overhyping.

If you start banning IP's you'll be able to halve your sales without the help of Los Lover.

Latest posts