• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roberts awarded top Lion honour

C

Cymro

Jamie Roberts has been hailed as the 'Player of the Series' following South Africa's 2-1 Test series win over the British and Irish Lions.

The Wales centre impressed on his first Lions Tour and formed an impressive midfield partnership with experienced Irish star Brian O'Drsicoll.

Lions assistant coach Warren Gatland said: "Jamie has been one of the most improved players on the tour."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8135320.stm

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Well deserved probably one of 3 or 4 that could have been given the honour. Lets hope he continues the form in the future.

Fair call, I would have picked him in a straight head-to-head with Kearney when you look at the overall performances.

Quite how Shaw has been shortlisted in the HSBC awards is beyond me though.

Well deserved imo, would have liked to have seen Kearney in the top 3 though, but i'm sure the voting was very close. Roberts was awesome all through the tour and hope he and o'driscoll get another chance to link up together as they were sublime.

Roberts - BOD is one of the best centre combos I've ever seen.

Shame the latter isn't Welsh/a national traitor.

Yeah, but they voted after each match and Kearney was only totally awesome in teh test matches rather than on the whole tour.

Don't get me Roberts was good, especially in the provincial games but Kearney had the better games during the Tests. Kearney gets my vote.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jul 6 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't get me Roberts was good, especially in the provincial games but Kearney had the better games during the Tests. Kearney gets my vote.[/b]

I agree with you on that Steve-o, Roberts played very well in all the games that he played in (even better then JDV <_< ) but he might not have such a "stand-out" if BOD wasn't next to him, Kearney also gets my vote, was solid at the back in all 3 tests and not just 2.

Athough Kearney has gone up a hell of a lot in my estimation, before the tour I questioned weather or not he would get a look-in compared to Byrne in the sense that even if Byrne hadn't got injured Kearney would have played in the final 2 tests anyhoo.

Roberts looked the best player in the Red this summer. He also, if I may be so bold to say, the best player of both Lions and South Africa.

Latest posts