• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rookie Tackle Trainning

when you make the tackles, go in 100% dont leave room for reservations because only the half hearted get injured

If you can afford it, travel. Maybe a nice, long holiday to Argentina might be in order! :D

Try to use the web to find other Brazillian Rugby clubs too.

Most of them use Orkut, but i can't afford travels right now...
I'll start some fitness training that I found from a Ph.D. Nothing insane and very interesting to use...

Time to save some cash my friend.

Maybe take a year out and go to work in Australia, New Zealand or South Africa?

Gatoelho- if you want to improve your defense and your fitness at the same time, and also live on the beach, why don`t you try getting the basketball players interested in touch-rugby on the sand? You won`t actually tackle anyone, but you`ll learn a lot about defensive lines, marking your opposite number etc.

For the contact stuff, a good mate of mine used to do some amateur wrestling which does have some of the techniques used in the crash-tackle in it. Don`t know if it works, never tried it, but my mate used to tackle the living crap out of anything that moved, so it worked well enough for him.

And yes, I really think your idea of a home-made tackle bag might just work- keep at it, always glad to hear about new converts to the great game of Rugby.

if it isnt too inconvenient or illegal, go find some farm animals like sheep.... and then chase them and try to tackle them.. thats wha the aussies did to earn them the ***leof sheep shaggers :D

There was this old urban legend about ex-Bok and Wallaby loosie Tiaan Strauss tackling actual live Wildebeest from off of his motorbike in the bush on his farm. Can`t imagine that, and certainly wouldn`t recommend it to anyone to try, but a great story nonetheless.

seems like a very active new member we have here...
well, tackling is my favourite part of the game... being a flanker, it is quite a big part of my game... if you want to practice tackling without anyone else..
u can to an extent train with the tackle dummies (punching bags if u have none) atleast that way u get ur body positions correct... and yes.. learning Jiu Jitsu and Judo is very, very good... Judo runs in my family, my dad played Judo at international back in the day... I only get all the scrapings of him... and trust me, it has helped me a lot in the way i tackle and also the way i receive hits...

if you want to practice hitting the legs of a player, getting a tackle bag is a great idea. if you are making your own then fill it with scrunched up paper or something, not sand because it'll be too solid. then put a mark or something about waist high( maybe lower) and just hit the same area over and over.

there's no real substitute for actual in game experience, but doing that will help you to get into the right position to make a good tackle. also try running towards it, or from the side and tackling.

Time to save some cash my friend.

Maybe take a year out and go to work in Australia, New Zealand or South Africa?
[/b]

Well, this is indeed an option... Seem that a guy from Ireland will come to my city, I'll try to get him as training mate.

Gatoelho- if you want to improve your defense and your fitness at the same time, and also live on the beach, why don`t you try getting the basketball players interested in touch-rugby on the sand? You won`t actually tackle anyone, but you`ll learn a lot about defensive lines, marking your opposite number etc.

For the contact stuff, a good mate of mine used to do some amateur wrestling which does have some of the techniques used in the crash-tackle in it. Don`t know if it works, never tried it, but my mate used to tackle the living crap out of anything that moved, so it worked well enough for him.

And yes, I really think your idea of a home-made tackle bag might just work- keep at it, always glad to hear about new converts to the great game of Rugby.
[/b]

Im working in the idea of a home made dummy... the hardest part is that will need a dual layer piece, one to hold the stuff, another to protect the first... usually some fabric and leather would work, but, need to find good pieces.

if it isnt too inconvenient or illegal, go find some farm animals like sheep.... and then chase them and try to tackle them.. thats wha the aussies did to earn them the ***leof sheep shaggers :D
[/b]

Lol... I don't want this ***le XD

There was this old urban legend about ex-Bok and Wallaby loosie Tiaan Strauss tackling actual live Wildebeest from off of his motorbike in the bush on his farm. Can`t imagine that, and certainly wouldn`t recommend it to anyone to try, but a great story nonetheless.
[/b]

O.O

seems like a very active new member we have here...
well, tackling is my favourite part of the game... being a flanker, it is quite a big part of my game... if you want to practice tackling without anyone else..
u can to an extent train with the tackle dummies (punching bags if u have none) atleast that way u get ur body positions correct... and yes.. learning Jiu Jitsu and Judo is very, very good... Judo runs in my family, my dad played Judo at international back in the day... I only get all the scrapings of him... and trust me, it has helped me a lot in the way i tackle and also the way i receive hits...
[/b]

Im not sure what Im... I like the tackling part (touchs are so boring), have good speed, good handling (for a 2 player old), not much body or strength... I really rather deffense than attack XD

Im thinking about jiu jitsu... but it is quite expensive here... but I would be trainning everyday, so, Im thinking about it... at least take 1 month.

if you want to practice hitting the legs of a player, getting a tackle bag is a great idea. if you are making your own then fill it with scrunched up paper or something, not sand because it'll be too solid. then put a mark or something about waist high( maybe lower) and just hit the same area over and over.

there's no real substitute for actual in game experience, but doing that will help you to get into the right position to make a good tackle. also try running towards it, or from the side and tackling.
[/b]

Yes, Im going to make a tackle target... but first the best is to improve fitness, indeed.

I found some stuff in http://www.utmb.edu/rugby/rtrain.htm that are very interesting, so, I would like you to check out and say if I could use it for a daily trainning... my goal is 2 hours trainning (including my bike that is my exercise to reach my trainning place).

[EDIT]
Got a game for tomorrow... just a touch, probably the last of the year, but at least I'll get used to my boots that are brand new... *cheers*
[/EDIT]

Thanks pals ^_^

damn...... i've never seen anyone reply to EVERYONE like that... heheh.. well, have fun mate... oh, did i tell u my cuz is married to this brazilian babe? lol....

Im a lazyboy, but Rugby must be serious, that's the way I see ;)

Brazillan babes rox... most asians too :p

The key is simply to get stuck in.

Most people when they find the tackle out of arms reach give up. DONT! Hurl yourself at the guy and im sure youll be able to bring him down.

Always try to take them below the waist, especially if the guy is big.

Dont be afraid, commitment takes away the pain and fear.

if you cant tackle you cant play rugby so get that down!

Anyone thats new, once you get tackling down you wont be able to stop so be committed to making that first big tackle.

Good luck!

That was inspiring ^_^

Actually, discussing helped a lot cause now I understand a bit more... also, in january I'll be making 5 days a week of Jiu Jitsu (Gracie's btw), so, at february I'll be raising my skills to, as someone said, 'tackle the living crap out of everyone'

[EDIT]

Btw, if I tackle someone, he's down but without the ball (sometimes it happens, when they leave the ball while get down), may I just jump up and pursue the "ball carrier"? Or I need to wait some time? In Brazil we use Rugby Union rules...

[/EDIT]

That was inspiring ^_^

Actually, discussing helped a lot cause now I understand a bit more... also, in january I'll be making 5 days a week of Jiu Jitsu (Gracie's btw), so, at february I'll be raising my skills to, as someone said, 'tackle the living crap out of everyone'

[EDIT]

Btw, if I tackle someone, he's down but without the ball (sometimes it happens, when they leave the ball while get down), may I just jump up and pursue the "ball carrier"? Or I need to wait some time? In Brazil we use Rugby Union rules...

[/EDIT]
[/b]

You can get right back up. In rugby getting back to your feet quickly is crucial. When you are on the ground your team has one less player however so does theirs. But if you are on your feet and near the ball quicker than the guy you tackled.....TA DAH!.....youve got a possible overlap. So yeah getting back on your feet quickly is important, to practice this i suggest a drill called pancakes. You tackle a tackle bag or just throw yourself on your back, then flip round onto your front, then to your back, then to your front again and then get up and run back to your starting position. Great for fitness and tackling skills!

You can get right back up. In rugby getting back to your feet quickly is crucial. When you are on the ground your team has one less player however so does theirs. But if you are on your feet and near the ball quicker than the guy you tackled.....TA DAH!.....youve got a possible overlap. So yeah getting back on your feet quickly is important, to practice this i suggest a drill called pancakes. You tackle a tackle bag or just throw yourself on your back, then flip round onto your front, then to your back, then to your front again and then get up and run back to your starting position. Great for fitness and tackling skills!
[/b]

But, when changing sides, change by getting up, by the side, or what?

Hah pancakes i hate that drill, its ridiculously tiring
[/b]

Tiring but efficient ;)

A few hardcore questions from me about tackling:

1- In many cases (for example as seen in the first scenes of SaintsFanWebby's TRF Rugby Compilation video in YouTube) players can make a tackle on the opponent's torso. (like what Gavin Henson did to Matthew Tait in 2005 six nations) In my opinion that looks pretty cool for the fans. Would you like to give out some tips on how to do that?

2- Again in many compilation videos, I see many tackles made to the necks and heads of the opponents. I thought that a tackle made above the shoulders was considered as a dangerous tackle?

3- Practically, while making a tackle, we're told to keep our eyes on the hips and the legs of the opponent, and to take the opponent to our shoulder area with keeping our heads outside. But how is this possible since your opponent is on the run and you've got to make it in 1-2 seconds? Both going for the hips, arranging your stance so that your shoulderline meets the opponent's waist, and also in the cases that you need to apply it to a forward player who has a large belly and wide hips?

The answers to these questions are very important to me since tackling is important to me. I'm playing the right wing, so if I miss a tackle, 80% it will end up as conceding a try. Thanks a lot.

Latest posts