• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rookie Tackle Trainning

1. get low aim for their stomach and drive up hard

2. don't tackle anyones face... it might stop them but you won't be in the pitch for long

3. if you are playing on the wing then most of the time you will just have to bring the player down, don't worry too much about getting your technique spot on to start with just bring the guy down any way you can, then with practice you will learn how to line your man up as you run towards him.
also if you are up against a forward the best advice is to tackle him as low as possible, he's not liely to be moving very fast so you will hav the time, but if you go for his upper body then you will more than likely get brushed off.

My only advice goes like this.
Cheek to cheek (your cheek to their butt cheek)
Shoulder to thigh
And drive.
If you have the body position correct there are not many people who will run through you.

P.S... Best way to train tackling is with a partner. Dont you have any friends who are interested in starting up?

also remember when making a front-on tackle that it's sometimes best to go with the momentum and impact instead of trying to land them with a big hit when it's not on

also the Rear tackle: if you're tackling someone from behind you need to basically throw yourself at them and make contact with the shoulder on his arse and wrap around the upper legs, grip the player hard and aim to land on top of him

definitely keep your head to one side in the tackle and drive with the legs - once you've mastered the basics of bringing a player down you can start concentrating on wrapping up the ball so they can't offload and turning them to your side so he can't place the ball for his team

also remember when making a front-on tackle that it's sometimes best to go with the momentum and impact instead of trying to land them with a big hit when it's not on

also the Rear tackle: if you're tackling someone from behind you need to basically throw yourself at them and make contact with the shoulder on his arse and wrap around the upper legs, grip the player hard and aim to land on top of him

definitely keep your head to one side in the tackle and drive with the legs - once you've mastered the basics of bringing a player down you can start concentrating on wrapping up the ball so they can't offload and turning them to your side so he can't place the ball for his team
[/b]

man, i learned all that in my first 40 mins of competitive rugby, and turned expert throughout the second half and so on... u will not pass me!!! (unless ur jonah lomu... or jerry collins)

lol - you're too humble abf

you must remember not everyone is an international calibre player

lol - you're too humble abf

you must remember not everyone is an international calibre player
[/b]

Man... I love u.. lol, what a quote that one is! I think doing Judo with my dad, who was a pro back in the day as well, really helps because I think one of the problem with newcomer is the physicality part... they are not yet comfortable with the idea of crashing a guy running at speed... :bana:

Well, at the moment Im trainning my running, mainly the stamina. My goal is to reach ~12km im 1 hour (15 if possible). at the moment Im making 6km in 44 minutes, but I started sunday! Also, Im 99kg :p
I dunno yet wich will be my role in the team, or even if I'll have one, but Im really excited on trainning.

i am unworthy of your signature abf
[/b]
:D man, u are as worthy as those before u... lol :p come down to Dubai sumtimes and i will get you a pint or 4...

My tackling technique is probably poor, though I prefer to call it unorthodox in that I ignore the old proverb of taking the legs. I always go for the ball and look to tie that up. I get bumped off sometimes against bigger players, but on the other hand for every time I've been bumped off there's a time when when I prevent an offload and at the least I make sure that I get bumped off into the path where they're running and generally slow them down enough for a team-mate to get a tackle in.

It probably is poor technique, but given the increasing popularity of offloads I'd argue that tying up the ball is becoming more and more important so perhaps it has some merit.

Well, when you are generally stronger than the opponent, you can always knock the living **** out of him... no offloads then.. :)

Latest posts