• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 2: Brumbies v Blues

D

Dumbo

Match of the round.

The Blues showed that this is a new year and will be on cloud nine after beating long time rivals the Crusaders, the Brumbies outplayed local NPC champions the Chiefs and will think they have the wood on most NZ Teams.
Have not heard the injury toll from last week for both teams other than winger Mark Gerrard most probably out for a week.
Toeava for the Blues maybe out (read it somewhere but can’t find it again)

The big news would have to be the return of Australian international fly half Stephen Larkham (feel sorry for Julian Huxley as his performance at fly half last week was excellent).
So man on man there might be the chance to see a really good clash between to exceptional fly half’s, the ‘Larkham vs Nacewa’ show should be well worth watching.
As should the battle between the forwards and the backs

Big BIG game here… for the Blues to win this one they are going to have to play out of their skins.

Think this one though is going to the Brumbies…

Huxley is likely to move the fullback and Adam A-C will shift to the wing in place of Gerrard. Fairbanks will play inside while I'd expect to see Pete Playford on the bench.

Blues have the Brumbies numbers, even during the Brumbies peak and the Blues low points, we always seem to scratch out a win against them, from memory I think our best record against an Aussie team is our record against the Brumbies.

I actually find this game the easiest to pick in what looks like the most evenly matched round of Super rugby ever.

Brumbies are a different side at home, i dont expect anyone to beat them in Canberra this year.

Brumbies by 12

here is the blues team. both toeava and big sammy out with injury.

Blues: 15. George Pisi, 14. Doug Howlett, 13. Anthony Tuitavake , 12. Luke McAlister, 11. Rudi Wulf, 10. Isa Nacewa, 9. David Gibson, 8. Jerome Kaino, 7. Daniel Braid, 6. Angus Macdonald, 5. Troy Flavell (capt), 4. Greg Rawlinson, 3. John Afoa, 2. Derren Witcombe, 1. Saimone Taumoepeau. Res: 16. Chris Heard, 17. Nick White, 18. Anthony Boric, 19. Justin Collins, 20. Steve Devine, 21. David Holwell, 22. Ben Atiga.

I think the blues can take this one. blues 1-12

Huxley is likely to move the fullback and Adam A-C will shift to the wing in place of Gerrard. Fairbanks will play inside while I'd expect to see Pete Playford on the bench.
[/b]

Jacko, Any news over there on whether Heenan or Fainifo will play this week?

i see one weakness in that blues backline that the brumbies can consistantly persue for territory and that is rudi wulf...hes a good kid,been in and out of the scene in nz for the past few season but he is taking on some pretty good regular footballers outthere...id tuitevake back there and atiga with a run at 13..even though he isnt the best defending centre...ohwell...this will be tough for the blues...if our tight 5 nail down the lineouts and scrums and our loosies and locks do that fantastic job they did against crusaders at ruck time then it is only up to our backs...necewa and luke should to that

blues by 10

That's a very good looking Blues lineup.

I'm surprised that Wulf has got a start but it had to happen one day. I just hope his D is OK. Tough luck to Sammy but no loss as we got McAlister back.

Flavell to get anothe Man-of-the-Match Award.

Blues by 10.

BRUMBIES:
15.Julian Huxley;
14.Clyde Rathbone,
13.Stirling Mortlock,
12.Gene Fairbanks,
11.Adam Ashley-Cooper;
10.Stephen Larkham,
9.George Gregan;
8.Stephen Hoiles
7.George Smith
6.Julian Salvi
5.Mark Chisholm
4.Alister Campbell
3.Guy Shepherdson,
2.Jeremy Paul,
1.Nic Henderson.

Replacements: Saia Faingaa, Salesi Ma'asu, Adam Wallace-Harrison, Jone Tawake, Patrick Phibbs, Matt Carraro, Peter Playford.

Mortlock 50-50 'at best'[/b]
By Peter Veness
F
ebruary 08, 2007 BRUMBIES captain Stirling Mortlock is in serious doubt for the Super 14 match against the Blues at Canberra Stadium on Saturday, as he is still recovering from concussion sustained against the Cheifs last week.

Brumbies coach Laurie Fisher named Mortlock in his starting XV but admitted the centre's hances of playing were "50-50 at best" after the heavy knock he sustained in the 21-15 win over the Chiefs last Saturday.

Mortlock finished the game after he was left dazed by an early collision in Hamilton, but he relinquished the goal-kicking duties to Julian Huxley.

Fisher will make a final decision on Mortlock tomorrow.

Fisher has already confirmed a partial backline reshuffle, with Huxley, the star of the victory last week, moving from fly half to full back to facilitate the return of veteran playmaker Stephen Larkham.

Larkham missed the match last week after the birth of his second child.

Adam Ashley-Cooper switches from full back to wing to replace injured Mark Gerrard, but he will move to outside centre if Mortlock is ruled out.

Peter Playford will be promoted from the bench to make his Brumbies and Super 14 debut on the wing should Mortlock be missing.

"I don't see it as a selection dilemma," Fisher said today.

"It's just the choices you need to make week in, week out.

"We will leave (a decision) until tomorrow.

"(Mortlock) won't train today but you'd suggest that he would be 50-50 at best.

"I think we've probably learnt from past experience that we're better off having people training and working together.

"There's a strong likelihood he won't play.:

Playford scored a Tooheys New Cup-record 29 tries for Sydney University in Sydney club rugby in 2005 before a season with New Zealand provincial team the Tasman Makos.

"You take the opportunities when you can get them so this is it, I'm really looking forward to it,'' Playford said of his prospective debut.

"I came hear to learn with the good back three ... so now it's just a matter of filling in and try and work with those guys and get the most out of it."

For Huxley, the move to full back is balanced by the chance to play alongside Larkham for the first time.

"He's the man, all the guys are keen to have him back," Huxley said.

"I've never actually played with him at this level before so it's a pretty exciting time."[/b][/quote]

woohoo that is a nice looking backline led by gregan and larkham..this is the match of the round on paper so far..and by form..lets see if they can carry this on with this game

Head to Head

15. George Pisi V Julian Huxley = Brumbies
14. Doug Howlett V Adam Ashley-Cooper = Blues
13. Anthony Tuitavake V Stirling Mortlock = Brumbies
12. Luke McAlister V Gene Fairbanks = Blues
11. Rudi Wulf V Clyde Rathbone = Brumbies
10. Isa Nacewa V Steve Larkham = Brumbies
9. David Gibson V Gregan = Brumbies
8. Jerome Kaino V Steve Hoiles = EVEN
7. Daniel Braid V George Smith = Brumbies
6. Angus Macdonald V Julian Salvi = Blues
5. Troy Flavell (capt) V Mark Chislom = EVEN
4. Greg Rawlinson V Al Campbell = Blues
3. John Afoa V Nic Henderson = Blues
2. Derren Witcombe V Jeremy Paul = Brumbies
1. Saimone Taumoepeau V Guy Shepherdson = Brumbies

Brumbies = 8

Blues = 5

Even =2

Mr T would take out Shepherdson any day!!

Main area of concern would be midfield defense for the Blues, expect Mortlock to give McAlister and Tuitavake a hard time all night.

yep very true I would also rate flavell ahead of chislom. the rest I think is about right.

doesnt mean much at all really...it all comes down to how they play on game day..

tamoepeau > sheperdson...all the time

mr.t plays all positions in the frontrow..how many forwards can do that?

im thinking if two boys are goign to step up against the brumbies it will wulf and pisi. after quiet-ish games against the crusaders they will want to put there hands up as sammy and ice are out. they both are aggresive players

Brumbies backline re-jig:

9. G. Gregan
10. S. Larkham
11. C. Rathbone
12. G. Fairbanks
13. A. Ashley-Cooper
14. P. Playford
15. J. Huxley

Looks like the Blues midfield to have a field day.

Blues by 10.

if tuitupou was playing it would be a field day for him and his cuz tuitevake...tuitupou is a better ball carrier then mccalistair but luke can step and jink his way around midfielders so i guess that answers sam's injury...

WOOHOO dis is on next!...GO THE BLUES!!!!!!!

sorry to crash your auckland love-in but.....

12-10 to brumbies 14 mins into the second half.

GO YOU BRUMBIES! :bana:

another pen to huxely 15-10 to the brumbies with 15 mins to go. :)

10 mins to go and its still 15-10 B)

[/b]
If these were the old days I would have milked 3 posts out of that.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
If these were the old days I would have milked 3 posts out of that.
[/b][/quote]

:lol: Hehe what the hell is with that iam doing something wrong?. :huh:

f*** :%#%#: blues 17-15 brumbies.

so close but yet so far. :(

final score
Brumbies 15-17 blues

Latest posts