• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro 14: Round 3

Yeeooow!!!

I had reckoned we'd get stuffed tonight. Credit to all involved to get that result (especially on the night it was).

How did the ref not see that knock on in real time?...

Another second half performance for Leinster, need to cut that out considering a slow start lost us a European final appearance last year.

Highlights from the Leinster game

Seriously a man and his dog showed up and I didn't hear the dog bark. That's a lot more worrying than their hapless performances to me. I know South Africa were getting the Shawshank treatment today as well, but still.
Have yet to watch our game against Ospreys, but a win in Jonestown is always welcome. It's one of the nastier fixtures on the calendar if Ospreys are playing well, so it's good to get it out of the way.

Kings 1st round attendance in super rugby was 2.500. Pro14 isn't failing, Port Elizabeth rugby is...

I feel like this may still be a legacy issue of people not caring about the Kings as a result of how corrupt the management was, the dodgy way they got into Super Rugby and their general poor performances barring this year. I'm a bit surprised that no one turned up, but I think this also being a makeshift team doesn't completely have locals biting yet. What they need is to have a decent run of form that will have locals sit up and take notice, they had a bit of that this year in super rugby, but then they lost their best players for the Pro14. Again though, knowing the situation they were in with regards to attendance, they really should have used a similar strategy as the Cheetahs for the first game.

On that note, I missed the Cheetahs game, how was their crowd?

As an ignorant Irishman who didn't follow the political landscape in SA rugby, what were these issues?

Well, there was maladministration and corruption. It became so bad, that they had to be liquidated and SARU had to take over the duties of paying the player's salaries, and all this happened 2 weeks before the start of the Super Rugby Tournament.

That's the short of it.

Kings drew 21,000 fans at a home game in Super Rugby this year when they hit some form and had a chance of reaching playoffs.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/super-rugby/southern-kings-make-history-against-sharks-9108820

This attendance in the Pro14 is unacceptable and needs to be addressed. I read the Cheetahs got 20,000, but with free tickets.

Gutted that Zebre jumped out to a lead then couldn't hang on. It could have been a famous weekend for Italian club rugby with two away wins. Still, 5 points this week isn't bad.

EDIT: Wikipedia is saying 13,982 for Cheetahs and 3,000 for Kings, so perhaps not quite panic stations for the Kings if accurate.

The Springboks are playing the Wallabies next Saturday in Bloemfontein (at the Cheetahs stadium) and anyone who bought tickets for that game gets free entry into the game against Leinster. The Pro 14 game will also come directly after the Cheetahs play their currie cup game. So fans will be treated to two tournaments in one day for the price of one ticket . That to me is a good job done by the Cheetahs administration. Still though as previously said the Cheetahs will contribute more with TV numbers to the Pro 14 than with live attendances which I don't think will ever really wow people unless they make the finals.
I was considering going to one of these free games with some friends but I would have had to drive 450+ km to get to Bloemfontein which is in the middle of nowhere tbh.

Haha I can understand why Leinster was based in Cape Town before the Cheetahs game. Smart move by their management I also would not have wanted to stay a whole week in Bloemfontein.
The place where it is so flat you can see your dog run away from home for four straight days.

Hope the Cheetahs can maintain this performance (history says no) would be nice if they were tough for any team to beat at home.

Bit of an unexpected result with the Cheetahs vs Leinster game. Expected Cheethas to lose a closely fought high scoring game. But this is good for them and the comp that they look like they will be competitive at home. They should maybe play the matches a bit earlier. I knew Leinster were top of the log going into the cheetahs game. But is Leinster one of the better Irish provinces?

Bit of an unexpected result with the Cheetahs vs Leinster game. Expected Cheethas to lose a closely fought high scoring game. But this is good for them and the comp that they look like they will be competitive at home. They should maybe play the matches a bit earlier. I knew Leinster were top of the log going into the cheetahs game. But is Leinster one of the better Irish provinces?
Leinster would be the best but sent a very depleted squad to SA while they're trying to let this summer's Lions rest as well as having picked up a few injuries over the Irish summer tour and losing the starting second rows, Scott Fardy and Devin Toner due to their pregnant wives being due. Other notable players missing would be Johnny Sexton, Jack McGrath, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip, Robbie Henshaw, Garry Ringrose, Rob Kearney, Tadhg Furlong and a few up and coming internationals as well, although I'm not sure how many of these would have toured if available anyway.

You'll find that the top pro 14 sides will have to rely a lot on their depth early in the season and during internationals due to them losing players during these periods, while the Kings and Cheetahs obviously had bigger problems joining the league as well as the rugby championship affecting them they should be able to pick up an advantage to even things out during the 6nations.

Latest posts