Guinness Pro 14: Round 3

Bruce_ma gooshvili

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Georgia
You'll have to settle for the Beta brother for your Round 3 intro this weekend. It promises to be by far the most competitive weekend of fixtures for the season so far, with the lower ranked teams generally hosting sides higher up in the standings.

Times below are UK (GMT+1) – note that Italian home fixtures routinely posted an hour late! Picks in bold.

Friday 15th

1930hrs - Dragons vs Connacht

From what I saw last week, the Dragons are a step up from last year, with a solid pack, a reliable (albeit old) fly half, and a cracking back three that should benefit from the new artificial surface. Connacht are the better side and have looked handy at the start of the season, but I'd make this a coin toss.

1935hrs – Edinburgh vs Treviso

Edinburgh were very inconsistent against the Dragons but should have too much against Treviso (although Treviso were very competitive for long stretches against Ulster by all accounts – and certainly in the last 20mins that I watched). Hoping to see my hero in the flesh tomorrow (and quietly cheer as he puts Edinburgh to the sword!)

1935hrs – Ulster vs Scarlets (BBC NI & BBC Wales)

Scarlets will go in as favourites against Ulster, particularly with Ulster's limited performance in Italy last week. Cooney at scrumhalf has caught the eye (and in my opinion justifies the IRFU rules around player development that saw Pienaar forced to leave). Ulster would make a huge statement in Conference B if they win this.

Saturday 16th

1415hrs – Kings vs Leinster

The South Africans would have to turn back a few more Leinster players at the airport if the makeshift Kings are to have any chance here. Leinster players should have flown to Zimbabwe and got a lift over the border in Grace Mugabe's car (a little bit of obscure politics for you there!)

1515hrs – Ospreys vs Munster (SkySports)

Ospreys have had a spluttering start to the season. Another slip up here and they are putting Glasgow in the driving seat for third place in Conference A. Match of the round possibly, with two potential finalists. Where is Rhys Webb!? He is required.

1930hrs – Cheetahs vs Zebre (Eurosport)

Zebre have been okay in the first two weeks, but are defensively frail, which is likely not a good combination against the Cheetahs attack. The Cheetahs will be under all kinds of pressure to win this though – lose and their debut season is effectively all but over already. Hopefully they'll have a proper fly half back from injury by now? If not, I quite fancy Zebre to stay off the bottom of their conference.

1935hrs – Blues vs Glasgow (S4C)

Blues are beautifully emulating their Super Rugby namesakes, by sinking to the bottom of the pecking order of their own nation's Pro teams despite being the capital city club. Warburton out for ages now doesn't help either. Glasgow a work in progress, but should be strong favourites here on an artificial surface.

Connacht with 7 changes and rotating heavily whereas Dragons lineup strengthened - so I'll be picking a Dragons win instead.

Ulster (v Scarlets):

15. Louis Ludik
14. Andrew Trimble
13. Luke Marshall
12. Stuart McCloskey
11. Jacob Stockdale
10. Christian Lealiifano
9. John Cooney

1. Kyle McCall
2. Rob Herring
3. Wiehahn Herbst
4. Kieran Treadwell
5. Alan O'Connor
6. Chris Henry (captain)
7. Sean Reidy
8. Jean Deysel

Replacements:

16. John Andrew
17. Andrew Warwick
18. Rodney Ah You
19. Robbie Diack
20. Matthew Rea
21. Paul Marshall
22. Peter Nelson
23. Tommy Bowe.

Scarlets (v Ulster):
15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Johnny Mcnicholl
13. Hadleigh Parkes
12. Scott Williams
11. Steff Evans
10. Rhys Patchell
9. Gareth Davies

1. Rob Evans
2. Ken Owens (captain)
3. Samson Lee
4. Jake Ball
5. Tadhg Beirne
6. Aaron Shingler
7. Will Boyde
8. John Barclay

Replacements:

16. Ryan Elias
17. Wyn Jones
18. Werner Kruger
19. David Bulbring
20. Josh Macleod
21. Jonathan Evans
22. Rhys Jones
23. Jonathan Davies

Leinster team to play the Kings:

15. Joey Carbery (23)
14. Adam Byrne (26)
13. Rory O'Loughlin (23)
12. Noel Reid (82)
11. Dave Kearney (111)
10. Ross Byrne (25)
9. Luke McGrath (76)
1. Ed Byrne (9)
2. Seán Cronin (130)
3. Andrew Porter (10)
4. Ross Molony (45)
5. James Ryan (1)
6. Rhys Ruddock (132) CAPTAIN
7. Jordi Murphy (86)
8. Jack Conan (53)

16. James Tracy (44)
17. Cian Healy (174)
18. Michael Bent (89)
19. Mick Kearney (22)
20. Josh van der Flier (48)
21. Nick McCarthy (9)
22. Cathal Marsh (20)
23. Jordan Larmour (2)

First appearance of the season for Carbery, Reid, Kearney and Molony. Gone with the less experienced props for this game so I suspect Healy and Bent will start against the Cheetahs.

I can't find the Cheetahs team line-up for the weekend anywhere which is odd on a Friday past 12h00.

I am really hoping they get an actual fly half in. That and a bit more mongrel on defense and at the ruck please. Oh and accuracy in general... Well, a whole lot actually. Zeilinga and Marais sadly still unavailable as far as I know but Eksteen should drop CC and rather fill the gap unless they are postponing the team anouncement precisely to give their regulars 10s every chance of being available? I'm just speculating here.

I can't find the Cheetahs team line-up for the weekend anywhere which is odd on a Friday past 12h00.

I am really hoping they get an actual fly half in. That and a bit more mongrel on defense and at the ruck please. Oh and accuracy in general... Well, a whole lot actually. Zeilinga and Marais sadly still unavailable as far as I know but Eksteen should drop CC and rather fill the gap unless they are postponing the team anouncement precisely to give their regulars 10s every chance of being available? I'm just speculating here.

It's because the Cheetahs haven't announced their team yet... Which is really weird. My only guess is that there were a couple of late fitness tests to undergo at the captain's run today before announcing the team. I hope this means that Zeilinga or Marais is in contention for a return at fly half, because the Blommetjies experiment didn't work.

You are getting my hopes up for Zebre. They must have a chance if the Cheetahs have no flyhalf who actually exists on the internet!

15 Sergeal Petersen
14 Luther Obi
13 Francois Venter (Captain)
12 William Small-Smith
11 Makazole Mapimpi
10 Ernst Stapelberg
9 Shaun Venter
1 Ox Nche
2 Torsten van Jaarsveld
3 Tom Botha
4 Justin Basson
5 Reniel Hugo
6 Paul Schoeman
7 Henco Venter
8 Junior Pokomela
16 Jacques du Toit
17 Charles Marais
18 Johan Coetzee
19 Rynier Bernardo
20 Chris Dry
21 Tian Meyer
22 Nico Lee
23 Cecil Afrika

Is Stapelberg a genuine fly half? DIfferent guy to last week yeah?

I'd bet on us nicking a win in Wales narrowly. Did them twice last season and I think we'll be stronger than them. No guarantees though

I'd bet on us nicking a win in Wales narrowly. Did them twice last season and I think we'll be stronger than them. No guarantees though

So would I. Ospreys have been dire thus far, as they were at the tail end of last season. They were looking so good for long periods of last season as well, wtf has happened?

You are getting my hopes up for Zebre. They must have a chance if the Cheetahs have no flyhalf who actually exists on the internet!

15 Sergeal Petersen
14 Luther Obi
12 William Small-Smith
11 Makazole Mapimpi
10 Ernst Stapelberg
9 Shaun Venter
1 Ox Nche
2 Torsten van Jaarsveld
3 Tom Botha
4 Justin Basson
5 Reniel Hugo
6 Paul Schoeman
7 Henco Venter
8 Junior Pokomela
16 Jacques du Toit
17 Charles Marais
18 Johan Coetzee
19 Rynier Bernardo
20 Chris Dry
21 Tian Meyer
22 Nico Lee
23 Cecil Afrika

Yea it's definitely a new flyhalve and one that I do not know.
But the rest of the back line looks potent! They really should win this one and I'm not saying this because they are playing Zebre. More of a combination of home advantage and a very good back line. The forwards also resembles. A top Cheetahs Currie cup team.
It has been said before but it's not going to be a joke playing in Bloemfontein. We are currently suffering from the heat here in SA.
One to watch on the bench is Nico Lee. He tore up the Currie cup last year on their way to finishing unbeaten and this is his first game back after a long term injury. (He plays Centre.)

In PE where the kings are playing all should we very chilled. Can see another big score in favour of Leinster.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/PRO14/cheetahs-ring-changes-for-zebre-20170915

15 Sergeal Petersen
14 Luther Obi
12 William Small-Smith
11 Makazole Mapimpi
10 Ernst Stapelberg
9 Shaun Venter
1 Ox Nche
2 Torsten van Jaarsveld
3 Tom Botha
4 Justin Basson
5 Reniel Hugo
6 Paul Schoeman
7 Henco Venter
8 Junior Pokomela
16 Jacques du Toit
17 Charles Marais
18 Johan Coetzee
19 Rynier Bernardo
20 Chris Dry
21 Tian Meyer
22 Nico Lee
23 Cecil Afrika

Looking a bit better balanced in the backline though I don't know anything about their 10. Is that the guy that was at Maties this year still maybe? Anybody know? I know Nic Lee though a center has at least played 10 at a high(ish) level before. Not anything like putting Blommetjies (who is more of a wing than a fullback in any case) in at 10 for his first game there starting against a top team in foreign conditions.

Apart from that still a bit light in the forwards overall but in Bloem that is probably not close to as bad a thing as it was up North.

So would I. Ospreys have been dire thus far, as they were at the tail end of last season. They were looking so good for long periods of last season as well, wtf has happened?
What I find crazy is how it has all turned out. Like 6 or 7 years ago it looked like Ospreys were only show in town in Wales. Had all the star names and actually looked like they could rattle Europe. Scarlets looked like they were slowly turning in to a region who would be mid-table always.

Now look.

Promising start to Ulster vs Scarlets. Ulster look better than their late season form last season.

Peyper to be a touch judge on the Zebre game, which surprises me on a Rugby Championship weekend.

Dragons running away with it a bit. This was not a game for Keane to put out a weakened side.

Great for the league if Dragons and Edinburgh can step it up.

Ulster have looked quite good tonight. Half backs impressing.

Watching the game with the sound off. Who's the Scarlets player wearing the blue scrum cap? He's turning over a ton of Ulster ball.

Ulster have looked quite good tonight. Half backs impressing.

Watching the game with the sound off. Who's the Scarlets player wearing the blue scrum cap? He's turning over a ton of Ulster ball.

An ex Leinsterman called Tagh Byrne (EDIT: Beirne) or similar. Turnover machine tonight.

Treviso in the lead. Huge shock result in the cards. My Tommaso Allan photo trumps my Edinburgh rugby badge tonight.

Ulster match exploding into life. Halfpenny even starting to show some forward intent. Sublime execution by the Scarlets for their tries and both sides looking every inch playoff quality.

Worth anyone's time to stick that Ulster / Scarlets second half on on the iplayer. Great attack managed to get the upper hand on solid defending.

But screw that! Kieran Crowley you beauty! Treviso victorious against an improved Edinburgh. I'm not stunned because as I say Treviso kept Ulster very honest last week. This is their injury list too!

Marty Banks, Robert Barbieri, Ignacio Brex, Andrea Bronzini, Andrea Buondonno, Whetu Douglas, Filippo Filippetto, Ornel Gega, Irné Herbst, Tommaso Iannone, Nasi Manu, Luca Morisi, Sebastian Negri, Nicola Quaglio, Marco Riccioni, Michael Tagicakibau, Alessandro Zanni e Matteo Zanusso."

Treviso back as a legit outfit in my opinion from their not performances in the last five halfs of rugby.

Great for Dragons too. A totally unpredictable evening of rugby.

Latest posts