• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Round 2: Sharks v Waratahs

D

Dumbo

Both winners last week but I think this week the competition for both sides is going to be a lot stiffer.
The Tah’s showed that they can play equally well in the forwards and backline and have now another week under their belt of being in altitude.

However I for one was impressed with the Sharks, they still looked a bit edgy in places but overall they showed good promise in their forwards and backs.

I’m going for the home team in a close one. A very very bruising close one.

Tah's line up for this weekend:

1. Benn Robinson
2. Adam Freier
3. Alastair Baxter
4. Will Caldwell
5. Ben Hand
6. Rocky Elsom
7. Phil Waugh [c]
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Josh Valentine
10. Daniel Halangahu
11. Lote Tuqiri
12. Ben Jacobs
13. Morgan Turinui
14. Peter Hewat
15. Sam Norton-Knight.
Reserves
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Aaron Broughton-Rouse
18. Dean Mumm
19. Beau Robinson
20. Brett Sheehan
21. Kurtley Beale
22. Sam Harris.

Head to Head:

Sharks
1. Deon Carstens
2. John Smit (capt)
3. BJ Botha
4. Steven Stkes
5. Johann Muller
6. Jacques Botes
7. AJ Venter
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Butch James
11. JP Pietersen
12. Brad Barritt
13. Adrian Jacobs
14. Francois Steyn
15. Percy Montgomery.
Reserves
16. Bismarck du Plessis
17. Kees Lensing
18. Albert van der Berg
19. Warren Britz
20. Rory Kockott
21. Waylon Murray
22. Cedric Mkhize.

HSBC Waratahs
1. Benn Robinson
2. Adam Freier
3. Alastair Baxter
4. Will Caldwell
5. Ben Hand
6. Rocky Elsom
7. Phil Waugh [c]
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Josh Valentine
10. Daniel Halangahu
11. Lote Tuqiri
12. Ben Jacobs
13. Morgan Turinui
14. Peter Hewat
15. Sam Norton-Knight.
Reserves:
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Aaron Broughton-Rouse
18. Dean Mumm
19. Beau Robinson
20. Brett Sheehan
21. Kurtley Beale
22. Sam Harris.

Any team with Kees Lensing and Bismarck Du Plessis on the bench will have a monster front row, and this is where the Sharks will start their onslaught. They are extremely solid in the tight 5, and there is plenty of skill and pace at the back- they are really looking solid, and I can`t see the Waratahs taking the points at the Shark Tank.

Freed from the derby mentality that prevailed last week, I reckon that the Sharks will kick less and keep the ball in hand more, a recipe that worked well for them during the Currie Cup last year. If they prefer to rather keep on kicking away possession like last week, though, they`ll be in for a long afternoon- I don`t reckon that the Waratahs will either kick it straight back down their throats or knock the ball like the Bulls did last weekend.

WOW that was terrible from the Tahs, they had enough opportunities to win that game three times over and they fluffed em all. I've never seen Hewat kick that bad.

I'm not impressed by the Sharks, they need to move Steyn to flyhalf and fast!

Tahs backline looks impotent atm, time to switch things up....

9.Valentine
10.Beale
11.Tuqiri
12.SNK
13.Turinui
14.Siale/Turner
15.Hewat

or

9.Valentine
10.SNK
11.Tuqiri
12.Halangahu
13.Turinui
14.Siale/Turner
15.Hewat

Effective if very unpretty rugby by the Sharks, but with their pack they`ll be a very tough nut to crack in Durbs. Pretty unimaginative stuff by both teams- very little creativity on display.

For the Sharks, I reckon everyone needs to take notice of young Ryan Kankowski, comfortably the best Saffa no.8 on show during the 1st 2 rounds. Now, if only he can curb his enthusiasm for the high hit when he`s off-balance, he`ll be even better. Very good with ball in hand, pretty impressive in broken play and excellent link work with the backs.

What I struggle to understand, however, is the poor handling by all 3 teams who`ve been in action at Kings Park to date. Sure, the high humidity in Feb. will play a part, but the Sharks, Bulls and Tahs are professional teams and I expected better.

Latest posts