• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

As BMW driver two things have become apparent since.

1) Assholes are assholes regardless of what car they drive. All a "high performance" car does is give you the ability to do things other cars can't. For example I can safely pass a bike (leaving enough room etc.) in less distance than other cars. What the assholes do is think their car stupidly superior and they don't need to leave gaps or actually obey the laws. They'd do the same in a Kia if they could and I've seen plenty of other cars not use signal etc.

2) If you are driving a BMW people will act like idiots around you because you are one. Come across far more people deliberately going slow or riding my arse than I ever did with the Mini or the Ford before that. I don't drive any differently, I just accelerate faster...

As a scooter rider many years ago I learnt everyone on the road is asshole. Even cyclists the other day I was on a 60 and there was a couple cycling (nothing wrong with that) but because the male had clearly decided he wasn't going to cycle with his partner and left a large enough gap that not car could safely pass one then the other. But no car could safely pass both. So they were holding up tons of traffic.
Yep, my posts aren't targeted at a particular car. It's the behaviour of the individual (whether they are pedestrians, other cyclists or drivers) which I can't stand when they don't consider others. It gives others who are responsible a bad name.

Comes down to we are all trying to get somewhere. It's just how we go about getting there.

Cycling on roads my attitude is: be seen (wear fluorescent belt and have lights on back and front of bike) be considerate to other road users, slow right down when on shared paths with pedestrians. I wear a camera for evidentiary purposes only but will warn any car approaching up my arse that they are on camera. All about risk and how to reduce the likelihood of collisions.

IMG_2125.jpeg

A complete knob of a driver who I caught overtaking me on my bike within 1 metre having the nerve to tell me that me using a cycle lane on the payment which is segregated, was illegal.

Go and update your Highwaycode knowledge of road and pavement signs before lecturing others as well as giving 1.5m space on a road which was too narrow to pass. This despite me warning him by pointing to my camera beforehand.

Typical of knobs who won't take responsibility and deflect onto others for their bad driving and lack of updated knowledge.

So he passed you when you were on the road?

We have loads of shared pavements around here that no cyclists use. That annoys me.

So he passed you when you were on the road?

We have loads of shared pavements around here that no cyclists use. That annoys me.
Yeh beforehand he close passed me. I then caught up with him and had an exchange of words telling him what he did and then turned onto the shared pavement which is split between cycle path and footpath.

There were no other cyclists at the time on the cycle path (but it is used) but me and I had to slow right down as there were pedestrians waiting on it at the bus stop. Some drivers have no clue.

Anyway reported it so now up to the police if they want to prosecute with points/fine him or offer him a driver awareness course so
He can be updated on passing cyclists and road traffic signs. It's all there on the footage taken.

Dickheads round here hold up the traffic right next to the shared pavement, then bump up onto the kerb to go through the traffic lights.

Dickheads round here hold up the traffic right next to the shared pavement, then bump up onto the kerb to go through the traffic lights.
Yeh don't condone other cyclists behaviour. I can only deal my own and cycle responsibly.

Anyway reported it so now up to the police if they want to prosecute with points/fine him or offer him a driver awareness course so
He can be updated on passing cyclists and road traffic signs. It's all there on the footage taken.
I see a YouTube channel in your future!

As a pedestrian, I hate them. In my area at least, they are poorly marked, meaning I've often found myself on one, without having passed any signage or pavement marking to that effect when joining the pavement.

I see a YouTube channel in your future!
Lol. Tempting, but I wear a camera purely for evidentiary purposes only. Pointing and warning drivers behind before they overtake works about 90% of the time, but I can't catch them all. Had 4-5 incidents on Saturday including a woman who pulled right in front of me without looking, a driver who failed to give way when I signalled to turn right at a mini roundabout. Yeh they got away with it this time because I don't have the energy to report every single one and reviewing the footage sometimes the evidence isn't good enough and would get rejected because I can't Identify the number plate clearly enough.

The one that close passed me yesterday I did report and upload the footage to my local police. Fast response as well within 24 hours that action would be taken.

I am not like CyclingMike on YouTube who snoops to catch drivers using their mobile phone, although I did catch one using his when exiting Tesco express petrol station, whilst I was walking past him; he had the classic WhatsApp look down and I told him to stop using it. He said he was using google maps, but told him that was no excuse and could land him with 6 points.
As a pedestrian, I hate them. In my area at least, they are poorly marked, meaning I've often found myself on one, without having passed any signage or pavement marking to that effect when joining the pavement.
The issue is that the pavements are just not built for cyclists and pedestrians I don't think anywhere in this country. The infrastructure just isn't there and local councils invest the absolute minimum where I live. Some cycle lanes on shared paths, as you say and are just not obvious and all or suddenly start and end without any warning or they're not well maintained. Just poor planning really and underinvestment.

If I do ride on a cycle path on a pavement or road, often I have to slow right down anyway and ring my bell for pedestrians who walk on them despite there being a perfectly good footpath beside them, either they are glued to their phone or just don't look when crossing. But not all cyclists are considerate and tar the good ones with the same brush.

Anyone else need proof of inconsistent application of the law when it comes to driving just watch this:

1. Driving on Wrong side of road because he was late for a Dr's appointment.
2. Driving into a pedestrian twice, who had to cling onto the bonnet to stop from being driven over.
3. All caught on camera.

Apparently the driver is Gandalf's agent . Ironic given where the incident occurred.

Anyone else need proof of inconsistent application of the law when it comes to driving just watch this:

1. Driving on Wrong side of road because he was late for a Dr's appointment.
2. Driving into a pedestrian twice, who had to cling onto the bonnet to stop from being driven over.
3. All caught on camera.

Apparently the driver is Gandalf's agent . Ironic given where the incident occurred.

Didn't Lyon get cleared of this because evidence was presented that Cycling Mikey deliberately threw himself on the vehicle?

Didn't Lyon get cleared of this because evidence was presented that Cycling Mikey deliberately threw himself on the vehicle?
Don't know how. You can clearly see him on wrong side and moving into him. What was he doing on the wrong side of the road to begin with? Mikey a pedestrian and can walk or be in the road. He's caught many a driver trying to do the same. Perhaps he had a very lenient Magistrate .

View attachment 17006

Yeh I know what the outcome was he says so at the end of the footage. Just think it was ridiculous decision.

Don't know how. You can clearly see him on wrong side and moving into him. What was he doing on the wrong side of the road to begin with? Mikey a pedestrian and can walk or be in the road. He's caught many a driver trying to do the same. Perhaps he had a very lenient Magistrate .
I found the article, money and a good KC barrister will always help.

I found the article, money and a good KC barrister will always help.
Yeh spoke to my local area police digital evidence team today on one of my cases. He was telling me how they need rock solid evidence otherwise it can be rejected by CPS because a clever defence barrister can twist it and get it thrown out. He said he's seen plenty which he and his team thought was dangerous and should have had the book thrown at them, but got rejected Or outcome wasn't what they thought it would be.

Yeh spoke to my local area police digital evidence team today on one of my cases. He was telling me how they need rock solid evidence otherwise it can be rejected by CPS because a clever defence barrister can twist it and get it thrown out. He said he's seen plenty which he and his team thought was dangerous and should have had the book thrown at them, but got rejected Or outcome wasn't what they thought it would be.
Definitely true. The CPS will say the will run a case on 50/50 chance. In the real world your looking at at about 80% chance of winning. It avoids the statistics on loses, cost of cases they lose and the negative press.

Definitely true. The CPS will say the will run a case on 50/50 chance. In the real world your looking at at about 80% chance of winning. It avoids the statistics on loses, cost of cases they lose and the negative press.
I was taught at law school that "beyond a reasonable doubt" was roughly 75% or more as opposed to "on the balance of probabilities" which was more than 50%. That's the theory anyway.

The digital evidence police officer basically said need 99.9% that the evidence is solid. My mate who is a DS also said defo more than 75% in the real world. No wonder they're up against it.

Using this thread as for leisure cycling but one thing that annoys me about other cyclists is then not wearing a helmet. It's not a legal requirement but still. Even worse are parents I see teaching their kids to ride - their kids are wearing one but they are not. Great example to give your kids.

Anyway interesting podcast. Can't say I agree with the second expert. My experience is that at least 10/15% of drivers don't give a toss if a cyclist is wearing a helmet when it comes to overtaking them and how close they get to them. But that just reflects human nature and our me, me, me society we live in IMO.

Even cyclists don't know the the 1.5m rule. Had a car right up my arse on a narrow road with cars parked to my right and oncoming traffic
And traffic islands.

To stop the car close passing I take up the primary position and warn the driver of the camera on my helmet. Another cyclist at the lights starts having a go at me saying there was enough space in his opinion to let the car pass (there really wasn't to give me the 1.5m space on overtake which is why I didn't give the driver the opportunity ) and I was giving other cyclists a bad name (really?!!!).

I tell him that I disagree and say there really was not the space to overtake me legally and that if he really wants to report me to do so as it is all on camera and I know the police would be on my side. He says nothing in response.

Latest posts