• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

Caught a driving instructor who close passed me today. Should know better.

Nice to see the speeding cop didn't try a "do you know who I am" move like I've seen on other videos.

Looks like Georgia state officials are one of the few willing to stand up to pricks who think the law doesn't apply to them.

Looks like Georgia state officials are one of the few willing to stand up to pricks who think the law doesn't apply to them.
I'm sure it helps that he didn't act like a prick who thinks the law doesn't apply to them

Seeing a father trying to parallel park badly when dropping off his kid at school and holding up a queue of other parents dropping their kids off and ******* them off. One I could see getting really irate. FFS most live locally, so why don't they teach their kids by leaving the car at home and walking? Better for the environment and don't clog up the roads.

Typical whataboutism from a driver caught using their mobile. This one caught twice for the same offence as well. Obviously didn't learn their mistake from the first time.

On a dual carriage way this afternoon, had a fire engine with sirens on behind so slowed down to let it past, woman behind me tried to overtake me. Honestly that should be a criminal offence.
Hate that so much,
And when you pull over to let blue lights past and people try and sneak through after

On a dual carriage way this afternoon, had a fire engine with sirens on behind so slowed down to let it past, woman behind me tried to overtake me. Honestly that should be a criminal offence.
Few weeks back, there was an oncoming ambulance behind a few cars, lights/siren on. I stopped on my side of the road, the oncoming car slowed right down, but kept creeping forwards about 10m to the point that he'd left no space for the ambulance to fit past! Guy had to reverse back to let it through. Completely unnavoidable.

I've also had the oposite though, where a driver has panicked at the first sight/sound of an ambulance and stopped immediately, blocking the cars behind (me being one) with a central reservation next to us and nowhere to go, also blocking the ambulance. No cars coming the other way, so all they needed to do was keep going 20m or so until we were clear of the central reservation, then slow to let the ambulance past. Bunch of us all had to hoot her till she finally realised she'd blocked the ambulance and finally move forwards.

Worth a read. Traffic getting worse, people's tempers getting more frayed and altercations between drivers, people on bikes and pedestrians.

Tbh this is always something I've wanted to discuss with those who bang on about freedom. Let's ignore the fact that humans are incapable of using that freedom responsibly and that increasing speed limits in residential areas would lead to more fatalities as there would be plenty of people speeding through them. However, is the freedom to go a bit faster where people live and children play, worth it if it means more deaths? Unfortunately for many people their freedom is more important than saving even one life.

I thought about it too with CCTV. If CCTV could be used responsibly without corruption by those in charge (no unfortunately) would people still oppose it even if it meant saving 1 extra life. Is a person's life worth less than your freedom and privacy? The answer again is unfortunately that for many people their freedom and privacy is worth more than a person's life.

Tbh this is always something I've wanted to discuss with those who bang on about freedom. Let's ignore the fact that humans are incapable of using that freedom responsibly and that increasing speed limits in residential areas would lead to more fatalities as there would be plenty of people speeding through them. However, is the freedom to go a bit faster where people live and children play, worth it if it means more deaths? Unfortunately for many people their freedom is more important than saving even one life.

I thought about it too with CCTV. If CCTV could be used responsibly without corruption by those in charge (no unfortunately) would people still oppose it even if it meant saving 1 extra life. Is a person's life worth less than your freedom and privacy? The answer again is unfortunately that for many people their freedom and privacy is worth more than a person's life.
I find the people who scream loudest about freedoms are also the quietest when discussing responsibilities. Many have minds still like children and think they should get their way or throw a tantrum.

I am riding my bike and stopped at a temporary traffic lights when I notice a van in my wing mirror. Traffic lights turn green and I have to overtake the road works to get onto the right side of the road.

Van driver gets uncomfortably close to my rear wheel and I point to my camera mounted on my helmet that he's being filmed and not to close pass me. He beeps at me and then close passes me, shouting out of his window "What are you going to do about it?" Well report you and then you get a minimum driver's awareness course, which will cost him £90 or 6 points and a £100 fine. Good luck telling your employer and insurance company. What a prick!

Latest posts