• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

I watched one yesterday of a cyclist and motorist arguing while moving. The motorist was claiming they could drive perfectly well while using their phone, and then rear ends another car. But all the while, the cyclist was alongside the car, chirping through the window at them causing just as much of a distraction.

Once again, nobody comes off well here. These people are the Just Stop Oil of the road safety world. If this guy was really interested in road safety, he wouldn't have been pulling onto roads that people were crossing on and narrowly missing them, nor would he have been distracting a driver at a stop sign or cycling on the pavement. No doubt he would argue that everything he did was in the public interest, but the balance of probability suggests to me that he's a self-publicist and a vigilante.
Well you notice where this "Ronnie Pickering" wannabe Says where does it say in the Highway Code you can sit in the middle of the road". Well it does and it's called Primary position or as cyclists call it taking the lane.

It's typical ignorance from the drivers who I come across and their attitude of "get the f out of my way." And "well I don't know or care that I have to give a car's width or at least 1.5m when overtaking a cyclist or that you're wearing a camera because I drive a car and can do what the f I like" attitude.

I have had a few that close when overtaking me and can tell you it's not fun and my instant reaction is anger. This cyclist actually keeps his cool pretty well (apart from chasing after him which I don't recommend and no longer do.) But I just report them now and that is my sense of justice. But the ending is just classic. 🤣👏

Still, this is the way this Government and future governments want to deal with transport policy and it creates conflict amongst road users and revenue for Governments to spend.

I'm fine with cyclists, but I really feel they should have been given their own lane with a divider of some sort. Even a flimsy set of cones or thin bollards every so often would do.

The smallest object on a road with the biggest was never a good idea.

I'm fine with cyclists, but I really feel they should have been given their own lane with a divider of some sort. The smallest object on a road with the biggest was never a good idea.
I wish they would too but that would mean actually having a transport infrastructure plan encompassing local councils and giving them sufficient funding to actually build them and not make the car the centre of it.

For divider I prefer proper concrete divider rather than just flimsy plastic bollards. That is going to be difficult to do. I wish I lived in Holland.

I wish they would too but that would mean actually having a transport infrastructure plan encompassing local councils and giving them sufficient funding to actually build them and not make the car the centre of it.

For divider I prefer proper concrete divider rather than just flimsy plastic bollards. That is going to be difficult to do. I wish I lived in Holland.
The gov etc are doing their best to price people off the road, so scooters, bikes etc will be seen more I imagine. Once that happens, we'll see a huge shift of focus on the roads to suit those users.

A concrete provider might be overkill tbh as its got to stay thin enough not to take too much space up. This would make it equally as useless to stop a car as a plastic bollard so 🤷‍♂️

Regardless, it's another example of the gov not thinking ahead. We need people out of cars - particularly those that really don't need one, but the public services are comically bad and expensive.

Last edited:
The gov etc are doing their best to price people off the road, so scooters, bikes etc will be seen more I imagine. Once that happens, we'll see a huge shift of focus on the roads to suit those users.
They're going to need to do then just price drivers off the road imo.
A concrete provider might be overkill tbh as its got to stay thin enough not to take too much space up. This would make it equally as useless to stop a car as a plastic bollard so 🤷‍♂️
Yeh not gonna happen. Too many roads and not enough space or money for that.
Regardless, it's another example of the gov not thinking ahead. We need people out of cars - particularly those that really don't need one, but the public services are comically bad and expensive.
I defo agree with you there.

As a civil engineer, designing roundabouts is a pain in the arse.

Looks like America will implement them more into theirs after realising how expensive it is to maintain traffic lights all the time. My big bug bear as a cyclist or driver is others who don't yield to those already on the roundabout.

Another one is having to correct another driving instructor what primary position is after his student proceeds to beep me when overtaking. I can see you coming in my wing mirror. No need to let me know as you're overtaking. What are these driving instructors teaching these days? Just to pass the test no doubt and not being good attitude on the roads to other road users.

Also Interesting article in ST on Cycling Mikey. Seems like he creates so much vitriolic abuse and divisive opinions even though he's catching lawbreakers behind the wheel. Sure no one likes to be snooped or snitched on but it seems like these people who do use their mobiles behind the wheel, close passing cyclists and drive on the wrong side think they should get away with their driving behaviour and just carry on. Some people just don't like being told that they are in the wrong.

Video on Times online from last week.
The ST has an article on Vine today and he is equally getting abuse in the comments' section.

Don't totally agree with his point that motorists should be banned from overtaking cyclists.
I don't see how that can be enforced but do agree that better separated bike lanes in towns and cities.

Today just went for a 2 hour bike ride and had no incidents of close passes and was thankful for that.

Lack of patience and poor judgement of when to overtake I find is the main reason for close passes by drivers.

I kinda agree with Ashley that JV should have stopped just before and he went round the van, then ended up getting his bike caught underneath and could have been worse himself when it reversed.

Still the driver shouldn't have turned right at the junction in the first place.

I kinda agree with Ashley that JV should have stopped just before and he went round the van, then ended up getting his bike caught underneath and could have been worse himself when it reversed.

Still the driver shouldn't have turned right at the junction in the first place.

I always thought that, no matter how much righteous fury a cyclist may wish to dish it, you always have to remember you are on a bike, they are in a vehicle. If anything goes wrong, the cyclist will come off worse. I have personally witnessed too many cyclists who admittedly encounter a problem not their fault but then proceed to intentionally put themselves in a position to make it worse.

As a cyclist, I have got furious at people many times for stupid incident but I NEVER intentionally put myself in danger to make a point. It's ******* stupid. I've watched videos where cyclists have been cut up and had more than enough time to slow down but intentionally collide for the sole purpose of venting at the person who cut them up. This isn't unique to cyclists, I've seen drivers do it to and it's a ridiculous mentality.

Definitely, just like here no need to cycle on the inside of a lorry on their blindside. Just asking for trouble if it turns left. Anticipation is key skill whether you're driving or cycling. Best to avoid than be self-righteous.

So, after a week of no close passes reported 5 today.

One I did not need to report but the driver shouted at me that I should be on the left until I corrected him and told him that no I was taking the primary position because there was not 1.5m space to overtake me. Not until I said he was welcome for me to report him and to attend an awareness course or accept the points because I had his number plate did he shut up.

Then one I did report because when I told her she was far too close after she overtook me she told me she was totally unaware of it. And I believed her. I did ask the police in the report if she met the criteria to make her attend an awareness course rather than points and fine. But it's up to them. Admitting she wasn't even aware she overtook me too closely is still careless and inconsiderate.

Just realise so many drivers out there really are totally clueless and inconsiderate. I would support the recommendation to make more drivers have to retake their driving test. If it was up to me each time they have to renew their drivers license.

Repeat offenders should deffinitely have to retake their test, theory and all. There are too many drivers on the road who appear to have no clue how to drive safely or considerately.

Also driving whilst disqualified should incur a greater fine/sentence to discourage it further. There really is no excuses for this.

Latest posts