• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

I was in Bristol the other day for a meeting and noticed all the eScooter racks instead of the common bycicle ones. Speaking to people who live in Bristol, privately owned eScooters are still illegal to use on public roads and pavements, but there hire schemes are allowed! How does that make sense?

Because the hire scheme covers insurance and the like.

What makes less sense is allowing shops like Currys to sell them. Because your average person will assume that if you can buy it in a shop, it's fine to use.

Any bike riders out there who use camera on helmet/ back of bike have any recommendations and advice?

Potholes. Don't know how bad it is in your area. Terrible where I am. Just reported potholes on my road to by local council to be repaired via their website.

See a guy from highways yesterday looking at the potholes and asked him if he was going to repair them and he said "yes". Get an e-mail later from my council saying the potholes have been repaired and report closed off. Go out and look and potholes have not been repaired.

Go back to my council to complain and they tell me in fact it doesn't meet criteria for repairs. WTF then tell me it had been then?

Thanks Rishi and your minimal investment to fixing them.

Awful in my village - there's constant new estates being knocked up so all the country lanes are just getting chewed up by lorry after lorry of building materials

Throw in diversions from HS2 works sending 10x the usual traffic down other roads and it's like a minefield trying to get anywhere

IMG_1743.jpeg

I mean how wide and deep do they have to be to get repaired?

My whole road needs resurfacing and told them.

All the more reason to not vote for conservative in the local elections next week.

The incident
In this short video, a cyclist in London was wearing a Techalogic helmet safety camera when he encountered a motorist in a BMW who pulled out in front of him in heavy traffic. The driver had his mobile phone held to his ear and when the cyclist pulled up beside him and asked him why he was on the phone while driving, the driver immediately became aggressive and assaulted the cyclist.

The angry driver then assaulted the cyclist a 2nd time by driving into him, injuring the cyclist and causing damage to his bicycle. The driver then left the scene at high speed without giving way to the pedestrians crossing on the zebra crossing immediately in front of him. This meant that the episode was classed as a hit-and-run event.

The consequences
The cyclist suffered bruising to his left ankle caused by the car's impact and the damage to the bicycle amounted to £455 in repairs. The dangerous driver was sentenced at Westminster

Magistrates Court after pleading guilty to the following charges:

Common assault.
Using threatening, abusive, insulting words and behaviour with intent to cause fear of / provoke unlawful violence.
Criminal damage to property valued under £5000.
Driving a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road / in a public place without due care and attention.
Assault by beating.

The driver was sentenced by the judge to the following:

5 penalty points were added to his driving licence.
Fined £2,000.
To pay costs of £620 to the Crown Prosecution Service.
To pay a surcharge to fund victim services of £200.
To pay compensation of £500 to the victim.

The importance of helmet safety cameras for cyclists
The driver's guilty plea was taken into account during sentencing. But would the driver have pleaded guilty had there not been this damning video footage from the cyclist's helmet safety camera? It's possible that without this footage, the driver may have denied the charges and the case could have gone to trial. In this case, the helmet safety camera served as crucial evidence in the prosecution of the dangerous driver.

This incident highlights the importance of helmet safety cameras for cyclists. In the event of an accident they serve as evidence in the event of a collision or altercation with a motorist. With a helmet safety camera, cyclists can have peace of mind knowing that they have a record of any incidents that may occur.

In addition to providing evidence, a helmet safety camera can also act as a deterrent for dangerous drivers. If they know that their actions are being recorded, they may be less likely to engage in dangerous or reckless behaviour.

Test road the e-bike and rode across London bridge and then back over Tower Bridge and it's pretty scary getting caught on the inside of vehicles. Only good thing was riding on one of the cycle super highways.

Last edited:

Some drivers getting offered an option to choose a speed awareness course rather than points and a fine to protect their insurance premiums. Especially the current Home Secretary.
Tbh I got caught speeding a few years ago for the first time and I was given the option of attending a speed awareness course, accepting the points and fine or contesting the ticket. I chose the speed awareness course.

I think it does partly depend on your history, the area and speed you were going and the officer's mood (I was very polite and apologetic).

Issue isn't that she could choose to take it, it was that she tried to arrange it privately to avoid being seen by members of the public who would also attend and that is trying to abuse her position. Stupid really, considering the other things she's done no one would care about a speeding ticket. Instead she's landed herself in more hot water.

Tbh I got caught speeding a few years ago for the first time and I was given the option of attending a speed awareness course, accepting the points and fine or contesting the ticket. I chose the speed awareness course.

I think it does partly depend on your history, the area and speed you were going and the officer's mood (I was very polite and apologetic).

Issue isn't that she could choose to take it, it was that she tried to arrange it privately to avoid being seen by members of the public who would also attend and that is trying to abuse her position. Stupid really, considering the other things she's done no one would care about a speeding ticket. Instead she's landed herself in more hot water.
I did way back 2 decades ago and was not offered any driver's awareness course. Just slapped with 3 points and a fine. I think I was caught doing 39mph in a 30 mph zone. No prior speeding offences. Yeh, just inconsistent application of the law.

And yes agree in Suella's case trying to get help inside Govt makes her case even worse. Again stinks of the hypocrisy of this Tory Govt.

I did way back 2 decades ago and was not offered any driver's awareness course. Just slapped with 3 points and a fine. I think I was caught doing 39mph in a 30 mph zone. No prior speeding offences. Yeh, just inconsistent application of the law.

And yes agree in Suella's case trying to get help inside Govt makes her case even worse. Again stinks of the hypocrisy of this Tory Govt.
They only started to be rolled out in 2003, so may not have been an option for you. They're only offered for relatively minor infractions - I think the current limit for a 30 zone is 42, no idea what it was back then.

Like most of the rest of the world I've done one and it does change behaviours and make you think a bit.

As for Braverman, is anyone remotely surprised?

They only started to be rolled out in 2003, so may not have been an option for you. They're only offered for relatively minor infractions - I think the current limit for a 30 zone is 42, no idea what it was back then.

Like most of the rest of the world I've done one and it does change behaviours and make you think a bit.

Definitely in terms of the motorway. One video showed how long it takes to stop. (I might be slightly wrong with numbers) but when doing an emergency stop a car travelling at 90+mph will still be travelling at 60mph at the point a car travelling at 60mph will have stopped.

IIRC mine was 2004 and I had to declare
It on my insurance for 4-5 years before the points came off. That increased my premiums which is why Suella did what she did I suspect.

Latest posts