Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

Bada-Bing!

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions
My biggest pet peeve when driving. I got cut up again today. I am on the roundabout clearly signaling to turn right. I can see this car from my left entering the roundabout and the driver has his earphones plugged in and at not point does he turn his head to the right to look to give way to me.

I, of course, have to break or risk ploughing into him and press my horn to ensure he has heard me. But he shows no interest and continues to cut in front of me. No apology or anything. I just don't understand such drivers. But I can honestly say it happens in 1 in 5 times I'm on the roundabout when I drive to and from work. What is going through the minds of such drivers?

1. Do they really not know the rules of entering a roundabout?, in which case they really need to read the Highway Code again or retake their driving test.
2. Enjoy the thrill of cutting up drivers on a roundabout?
3. Really could not care less if they get ploughed into?

Share your frustrating stories here.

People who don't bother to indicate deserve nothing short of death.
Even for pedestrians, drivers should still indicate... though I notice how few do. I walk back and forth work daily due to living and working in Cardiff city centre and the amount of times I decide to cross a road due to no cars indicating to turn down said road... but then proceed to turn down the ****ing road anyway:mad:!

Best way of finding out just how moronic some drivers are is to get on 2 wheels. White van man's witticisms and amusing hand gestures I can just about live with. Yummy mummies, Chelsea tractors and roundabouts are a lethal combination, perm in mobiles and / or kids and you have WMDs.

And words fail me for cyclists who belt around central London like they're Bradley Wiggins.

Best way of finding out just how moronic some drivers are is to get on 2 wheels. White van man's witticisms and amusing hand gestures I can just about live with. Yummy mummies, Chelsea tractors and roundabouts are a lethal combination, perm in mobiles and / or kids and you have WMDs.

And words fail me for cyclists who belt around central London like they're Bradley Wiggins.
Conversely, cyclists who cycle two abreast should be fair game to run over, especially when they're spilling out of lycra.

BMW drivers living up to their reputation as the least considerate drivers on the road.

Cars who enter the road in front of me or cross my path forcing me to break when there are no cars behind me. Can't they wait 2 seconds for me to pass or is 2 seconds of their life so precious to risk an accident. Fucktards.

Cars I let Joint the traffic in front of me or cross my path but don't have the bloody courtesy to acknowledge or thank me.

Listen brah just because I trashed you on the roundabout race doesn't mean you can shame me brah.

Oh so you're one of them. It's not a bloody race;).

In some parts of America if you signal on freeways it's an invitation for people to move into that space. It's easier not to do it.

People who don't know how to merge and people who don't move over to allow others to merge should have their licenses taken away.

Are roundabouts in Europe fairly obvious. In America they are but in South Africa they would just throw a small round piece of cement in the middle of a city street and it was a roundabout. I was always confused why drivers were stopping cause it looked like a normal road.

BMW drivers living up to their reputation as the least considerate drivers on the road.
Having driven a 3 Series for 2 weeks
I do have some sympathy if they cut you up as you overtake. There is a massive blindspot.

However anyone who had driven one for longer than 30mins on a motorway is aware of this so they only get a tiny bit of sympathy.

In some parts of America if you signal on freeways it's an invitation for people to move into that space. It's easier not to do it.

People who don't know how to merge and people who don't move over to allow others to merge should have their licenses taken away.

Are roundabouts in Europe fairly obvious. In America they are but in South Africa they would just throw a small round piece of cement in the middle of a city street and it was a roundabout. I was always confused why drivers were stopping cause it looked like a normal road.

Very obvious although doesn't stop people going through the middle.

People who don't bother to indicate deserve nothing short of death.

I have been told the ones that do this are so they make the indicator bulbs last as long as possible so they don't have to replace them. Yep there are drivers who are that tight.

Usually yes they are obvious in the UK. Can't say i have driven on mainland Europe, but I would suspect at roundabouts you would instead need to give way to the left, instead of right.

There are main roundabouts and mini roundabouts. For main rounsabouts it's pretty obvious, but mini ones are sometimes just a cylindrical round dome on the road or just markings with arrows. if there is not enough space to go around i.e. car on the left is waiting I just drive straight over it.

And below is an example of one that includes both and is known as the Magic roundabout:) in Hemel Hempstead, which is just outside of London.

graphic-website-version.png

I have driven in Florida. Mainly it was getting used to the driving on the left side of the car/ driving on the right side of the road and getting used to centering it as my natural insinct kept pulling the car to the right of the lane I was in. Also remembering turnings - nearside to turn right (to go at traffic lights if it's clear) and far side to turn left. But all a case of getting used to it, which I did after two weeks. Merging on freeways is common sense and just not being a dick (making sure you don't collide with others). Can't say I came across any roundabouts in my two weeks there. Does USA have any?

LOL!!!

You guys should come to South Africa. Some cars doesn't even have indicators! And some donkey-carts have indicators.

My biggest Peeve when driving, is when I'm in a one-way street of 4 lanes, and only the outer right lane is a turn-only lane at the next intersection, and then you have drivers who come from the far left lane and turn into the intersection, cutting basically 3 lanes inside him/her to get into the intersection.

LOL!!!

You guys should come to South Africa. Some cars doesn't even have indicators! And some donkey-carts have indicators.

My biggest Peeve when driving, is when I'm in a one-way street of 4 lanes, and only the outer right lane is a turn-only lane at the next intersection, and then you have drivers who come from the far left lane and turn into the intersection, cutting basically 3 lanes inside him/her to get into the intersection.

The headboy at my Secondary school was very lucky to live when he was out on a rugby tour out in SA. As I recall he was asleep in the back of a car when it crash and he got thrown through the wind screen. The fact he was asleep at the time her went through apparently saved him.

One of my old school friends who went out to SA for missionary work told me how it was very common in the outback to drive whilst after being well over the limit. I was pretty suprsed that he got into a car with one, but he said he would have had to have walked miles if he didn't.

One of my old work colleagues from India made me laugh when he said here in the UK if you obey the highway code you live; in India if you obey the rules of the road you die. Yeah don't think I would ever want to drive there.

LOL!!!

Had something similar this morning,

4 lanes, lane 1 was turning off into a new road, I'm in lane 2 - guy in lane 4 just drives across the lot and almost into me to get to it, no indicating just put his foot down. Unsurprisingly in a German car.

People with no kids parking in the parents and kids' spaces. 99% of the time it's a woman.

LOL!!!

the taxis taking people into cape town did not care if they crashed.

getting stopped on the N1 or N2 were always my biggest fears though

but the worst part of merging in America is the country bumpkins who go to the end of the ramp and just come to a complete stop

The headboy at my Secondary school was very lucky to live when he was out on a rugby tour out in SA. As I recall he was asleep in the back of a car when it crash and he got thrown through the wind screen. The fact he was asleep at the time her went through apparently saved him.

One of my old school friends who went out to SA for missionary work told me how it was very common in the outback to drive whilst after being well over the limit. I was pretty suprsed that he got into a car with one, but he said he would have had to have walked miles if he didn't.

One of my old work colleagues from India made me laugh when he said here in the UK if you obey the highway code you live; in India if you obey the rules of the road you die. Yeah don't think I would ever want to drive there.

how else are you supposed to get the $.50 KFC at 1:30 in the morning?

Latest posts