• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

DUI are like Seatbelts the law is there to protect you, your passengers and other road users. Getting away with it shouldn't be considered a victory.

People who drive in the middle lane on a 3 lane motorway with no cars in the slow lane!

Tail gaters especially when your already slightly above the speed limit!

DUI are like Seatbelts the law is there to protect you, your passengers and other road users. Getting away with it shouldn't be considered a victory.
Other day i seen a car on the moterway with a kid (pre teen) in the passenger seat, feet on the seat back and leaning against the dashboard. Yes traffic was going slower as in about 30 on the motorway but that is bad parenting and so dangerous. I just thought seriously why would you let your kid do that.

30 is still huge without a seatbelt

I don't travel in taxi's in Greece because they cover up the seat belts and say you don't need it knthis country. I don't wear one because the law tells me to it's because they save lives massively.

in 1965 GB introduces the seat belt law

Killed_on_British_Roads.png

Here's my list of things that annoy me on the road:

- Lack of patience. This is probably the cause of 90% of accidents, idiots doing stupid things because they're keen to save mere seconds off their commute.
- Tailgaters. Hugely dangerous in fast moving traffic, yet 90% of drivers do it. I'm convinced there'd be far less motorway accidents if people kept a sensible gap.
- Undertaking. I've almost been taken out on a few occasions by drivers undertaking. I'm waiting for the cars in front to move as well, why are you more important than the rest of us?
- Lack of indicators. Can be dangerous, but it's also incredibly frustrating! I could have entered that roundabout if I'd have know you were exiting!
- Tunnel vision. I'm convinced most drivers only look straight ahead and immediately in front of them. By knowing what's behind and far ahead drivers can prepare for potential hazards in advance, and should know whether something is in their blind spot.
- Texting. Talking on the phone was one thing, but I've seen so many people either reading something on their phone or texting on their phones whilst driving! Some moron hit me from behind at a roundabout after I'd seen him 5min before weaving in and out of the hard shoulder whilst looking down at his lap. His excuse was that the missus was texting him what to pick up for dinner that evening - ******! Luckily only minor cosmetic damage despite a reasonable shunt.
- Ridiculous sat-nav placement. I don't understand drivers who place their sat navs right in the center of the windscreen. Surely this is dangerous as they're creating another blind spot? I've even seen something with a big tablet suckered onto the center of their windscreen!

I've now been driving for 18 years (longer on private land) and I've not even come close to having an 'accident', especially not one of my doing. I've had to swerve on and off a grass verge to avoid a driver cutting a corner before + been bumped from behind twice whilst stationary (neither of which caused damage), but that's literally it. I'm a fairly quick driver as well, so it's not as if I'm ultra cautious, I'm just very observant and always know what's around me.

The worst thing I find is when you're going to overtake someone in an Audi they invariably speed up and leave you looking like a ****** in the outside lane, or on a national road it becomes their mission to overtake you back at 30kmph more than they were going originally, needlessly dangerous and egotistical. (I've found the BMW rep from the rest of the world is more appropriate to Audi drivers in Ireland)

I've now been driving for 18 years (longer on private land) and I've not even come close to having an 'accident', especially not one of my doing. I've had to swerve on and off a grass verge to avoid a driver cutting a corner before + been bumped from behind twice whilst stationary (neither of which caused damage), but that's literally it. I'm a fairly quick driver as well, so it's not as if I'm ultra cautious, I'm just very observant and always know what's around me.
My only accident was 'technically' my fault. I say technically because it was wet weather, I was taking the 3rd exit of the roundabout, the car in front what would of been my 4th, I indicated off checked the blindspot looked back and three cars ahead some decided to cut them up causing them to all emergency break and because I was not looking at what was happening on exits I wasn't negotiating I just went up the back of the car ahead. If it got half a meter round the roundabout further I'd have exited with no issue.

So yeah cause by some toss pot cutting the roundabout but I got penalised.

The worst thing I find is when you're going to overtake someone in an Audi they invariably speed up and leave you looking like a ****** in the outside lane, or on a national road it becomes their mission to overtake you back at 30kmph more than they were going originally, needlessly dangerous and egotistical. (I've found the BMW rep from the rest of the world is more appropriate to Audi drivers in Ireland)

I find it's moved a little from BMW to Range Rovers or other overly large SUV's (he says hopeingly as a bmw driver.....).

Last edited:
So same roundabout. I am clearly on the roundabout signaling right to exit and I can see a BMW enter the roundabout from my left. I have to sound my horn several times and then she stops and turns her head to look at me that she is about to collide into me.

I am furious and draw a circle in the air with my finger and mouth "roundabout" and point to the round cylindrical shape in the middle of the road.

Hate people cutting across mini roundabouts when there are other people waiting. As always you give way to the right but sometimes you have more than enough time to go and not cause the person to your right to have to slow down. So i set off and they cut straight across the centre of the roundabout turning right and almost hit me. If they have gone around it no one would have had to slow down in any way.

Seriously thinking about getting a camera to put on my dashboard to film these incidents in case one ends up being a collision and I have to prove that idiots are in the wrong.

Had a dash cam for about a year. Never needed it but had some near misses where it would have been worth its weight in gold. Im thinking of getting a rear one too just so if something happens such as dangerous overtake or something i can show the full picture and protect myself but deffinatly recomend a front dash cam.

Guy at my old job had a dashcam and used to show us some of the terrible driving he'd encounter on his way in to work

One for the pedestrians. Drivers who drive through pedestrian crossings when pedestrians clearly waiting to step on and cross or stepped foot and are walking on the crossing. I've been half way across one and the driver, including bus drivers have seen me and just kept going and I've had to stop on the crossing or be run over. MFs.

Latest posts