• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ruan Pienaar to play for Bulls or Stormers?

This is silly. The guy has been playing weekly rugby for bloody ages now. It's a world cup year, players need to have their game time minimized, not have another half season thrown on them. De Villiers once again showing that he's a moron.

Why is Div a moron ? You guys look at everything he does and find a negative. If you ask me you are more the morons than Div. He stated he wants to see Ruan play the higher paced game in the S15 , its WC year and before everyone else was shouting for DIV to look at Ruan , now he does and he is the idiot ? eish.

Why is Div a moron ? You guys look at everything he does and find a negative. If you ask me you are more the morons than Div. He stated he wants to see Ruan play the higher paced game in the S15 , its WC year and before everyone else was shouting for DIV to look at Ruan , now he does and he is the idiot ? eish.

I think most posters on here aren't as much saying that PdV is an idiot for looking in Pienaar's direction as they are concerned about the player and his club. That said I couldn't care less about Ulster and think any foreign club signing an international should expect some level of compromise will be necessary (you have to accept the bad with the good), also I'm sure Pienaar, with the way he plays, would be the last player in danger of exhaustion and I would also be careful, if I were in PdV's shoes, about picking overseas based players who haven't had a stint in Super rugby recently as you can't compare apples with oranges and the fact is Super rugby is played at a much greater pace. Frans Steyn's recent performances (or lack of) in a Green jersey being a case in point.

Just have to wait and see what Ruan can add to the Stormers.

Ruan Pienaar has played non stop since February 2010 because of his move from the Sharks to Ulster last summer. He needs some rest. That will be more important than playing some Super15 matches. Pienaar played for Ulster in the Heineken Cup, was voted player of the year in the Magners League and can pick up the pace in the Tri Nations.

Ruan Pienaar has played non stop since February 2010 because of his move from the Sharks to Ulster last summer. He needs some rest. That will be more important than playing some Super15 matches. Pienaar played for Ulster in the Heineken Cup, was voted player of the year in the Magners League and can pick up the pace in the Tri Nations.

This.

LOL, maybe me and Sparty just don't believe that he will, in fact, pick up the pace; Magners league MVP or not.

Do people seriously think Pienaar is better then Sarel Pretorious? Do you really think the Cheetahs would be doing even better if Pienaar were there? It just seems a bit much to me how crazy people are going over him, especially considering he departed SA on some extremely poor/average-at-best form. I do understand that he's needed at the Stormers, but this is because Duvenhage and Januarie are both shamefully poor. But I don't think it's fair on guys like Pretorious or Hougaard to consider Pienaar in the Bok mix.

Well word us Ulster are standing firm and he is free to attend camps and play with the Boks but won't be going on loan anywhere. And he will go home after next June but he picked a strange time to come. Year before World Cup to go home year after World Cup

He plays a very well structured game and deals with pressure brilliantly ..I wouldn't say he was the best player in the ML this year , however his ability to command a game steady the ship and take the high presssure kicks were very often the difference between Ulster winning and losing and I feel that that was the reason he was voted player of the year as opposed to playing his rugby with great flair or gusto.

I also reckon that little francois Houggard is the next big thing..good distribution good on offence and defends like a 4th backrow ..I saw him poach 3 or 4 balls in a single game ..big fan

Do people seriously think Pienaar is better then Sarel Pretorious? Do you really think the Cheetahs would be doing even better if Pienaar were there? It just seems a bit much to me how crazy people are going over him, especially considering he departed SA on some extremely poor/average-at-best form. I do understand that he's needed at the Stormers, but this is because Duvenhage and Januarie are both shamefully poor. But I don't think it's fair on guys like Pretorious or Hougaard to consider Pienaar in the Bok mix.

I'd pick Hougaard over him but not for this RWC; Pienaar has been there and shown that he can keep it together in a pressure game. Hougaard is still a bit untested at test level to do the business should FdP get injured. And I WOULD have FdP as 1st choice 9 even though his form is not what it was pre-operation.

Hougaard to take over after the RWC. Pretorius is a livewire but is as much a liability as an asset which is not what you want at a knock-out tournament. have a look at his missed tackle count and watch for the odd mistake he makes because of overeagreness.

Although I am 100% behind you on Januarie being average, Duvenhage is a decent halfback; nothing flashy but he covers the basics very well and has the odd moment of brilliance; like the try against the Crusaders on the weekend that was disallowed. His defense is also very useful; he won't tackle anybody backwards but he'd get even someone like Gear/Nonu wrapped up.

I'd pick Hougaard over him but not for this RWC; Pienaar has been there and shown that he can keep it together in a pressure game. Hougaard is still a bit untested at test level to do the business should FdP get injured. And I WOULD have FdP as 1st choice 9 even though his form is not what it was pre-operation.

Hougaard to take over after the RWC. Pretorius is a livewire but is as much a liability as an asset which is not what you want at a knock-out tournament. have a look at his missed tackle count and watch for the odd mistake he makes because of overeagreness.

Although I am 100% behind you on Januarie being average, Duvenhage is a decent halfback; nothing flashy but he covers the basics very well and has the odd moment of brilliance; like the try against the Crusaders on the weekend that was disallowed. His defense is also very useful; he won't tackle anybody backwards but he'd get even someone like Gear/Nonu wrapped up.

I get what you're saying about Pretorious sometimes being a liablility, but I think this is the attitude that is keeping South African rugby back. South Africans as a whole seem to favour docile players that make less mistakes but don't set the world alight. I think this is a poor state of mind, as we need to invest in players that are capable of being absolute game-breakers. I GUARANTEE YOU that if Quade Cooper was South African he'd probably be playing Vodcacom Cup, because our coaches would probably label him "Too erratic and not solid enough at goal-kicking" etc. I mean, the fact is, can you really tell me that Pienaar would've done for the Cheetahs what Sarel has? And seriously, when Pienaar starts playing Super Rugby again, let's at the end of the season look who has more missed tackles and handling errors.

Also, I actually think Hougaard should be first-choice wing for the Boks. But for future 1st-choice scrumhalf, I'd rather have Pretorious or Vermaak (If Vermaak can regather last year's form).

And no sorry I'm gonna have to completely disagree with you on Duvenhage. He is docile AND error-prone. Generally the error-prone guys are the ones that also make impact, he's just average yet he also makes tons of errors. Shocker, Stormers should've held on to that talented Conrad Hoffman. I rate that oke thick!

A back-line player needing a rest? Lol...

Good player, irritated that when Ulster have played a Scottish team this season, the ***le usually follows the lines of 'Pienaar does it for Ulster', and look at the scorers columna and see
Penalties: Pienaar (x 1000)
Conversions: Pienaar (x1000)
etc...

A back-line player needing a rest? Lol...

Good player, irritated that when Ulster have played a Scottish team this season, the ***le usually follows the lines of 'Pienaar does it for Ulster', and look at the scorers columna and see
Penalties: Pienaar (x 1000)
Conversions: Pienaar (x1000)
etc...

Haha yeah like when me and my mates are watching a game we get sooo ****** off when the commentator raves about it when the kicker scores all the points!

I get what you're saying about Pretorious sometimes being a liablility, but I think this is the attitude that is keeping South African rugby back. South Africans as a whole seem to favour docile players that make less mistakes but don't set the world alight. I think this is a poor state of mind, as we need to invest in players that are capable of being absolute game-breakers. I GUARANTEE YOU that if Quade Cooper was South African he'd probably be playing Vodcacom Cup, because our coaches would probably label him "Too erratic and not solid enough at goal-kicking" etc. I mean, the fact is, can you really tell me that Pienaar would've done for the Cheetahs what Sarel has? And seriously, when Pienaar starts playing Super Rugby again, let's at the end of the season look who has more missed tackles and handling errors.

Also, I actually think Hougaard should be first-choice wing for the Boks. But for future 1st-choice scrumhalf, I'd rather have Pretorious or Vermaak (If Vermaak can regather last year's form).

And no sorry I'm gonna have to completely disagree with you on Duvenhage. He is docile AND error-prone. Generally the error-prone guys are the ones that also make impact, he's just average yet he also makes tons of errors. Shocker, Stormers should've held on to that talented Conrad Hoffman. I rate that oke thick!

I hear what your'e saying. I gues its a bit of couldv'e, would've as its all speculation. I would like to see what he can do for the Bokke but at a RWC semi-final... that's a tough ask LOL. I miss Jano Vermaak at his best as well.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Duvenhage. I don't rate him as nearly the best in the country but I think he isn't all that bad as I think you think him to be. I was very miffed when I heard Hoffmann was off to the Sharks rather than Januarie off up North, yeah. We've (WP) been backing our youngsters more and more, with some success, but Hoffmann was one that got away, much like Hougaard before him which is the greater pity as he showed great potential and was going to make it here but the Bulls made him a better offer and fair enough he wouldn't have been a Bok YET had he stayed on here in the Western Cape. He and Duvenhage would have alternated and this would probably only have been his 1st regular season.

I hear what your'e saying. I gues its a bit of couldv'e, would've as its all speculation. I would like to see what he can do for the Bokke but at a RWC semi-final... that's a tough ask LOL. I miss Jano Vermaak at his best as well.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Duvenhage. I don't rate him as nearly the best in the country but I think he isn't all that bad as I think you think him to be. I was very miffed when I heard Hoffmann was off to the Sharks rather than Januarie off up North, yeah. We've (WP) been backing our youngsters more and more, with some success, but Hoffmann was one that got away, much like Hougaard before him which is the greater pity as he showed great potential and was going to make it here but the Bulls made him a better offer and fair enough he wouldn't have been a Bok YET had he stayed on here in the Western Cape. He and Duvenhage would have alternated and this would probably only have been his 1st regular season.

Haha okay well being completely honest, I really don't like Duvenhage because he had an absolute shocker this one time last year when I had money on the Stormers, and I've always held a grudge for that lol :)

We could really use him as well; I don't rate Januarie as our back-up scrummie and we are having a bit of difficulty at 10 with Grant injured.

He would be great to have and alternate with Duvenhage and Grant (when he returns). With Cronje or Januarie on the other bench spot if needed.

Stormers bias much

Latest posts