• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 08 Roster - Hex Editing

ama1

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
I am going to start this thread for those who are interested in roster editing via hex.

Just offering an alternative way to do mass stat editing once you have a base roster.

You will still need Woosah's editor to change player names and add players to teams - as I haven't got around to adding that functionality to the spreadsheet yet.

Tools required.

1.) A hex editor. (I use 010 editor, as it allows you to set the number of bytes per row)

2.) Microsoft Excel (To make edits and use the spreadsheet).

3.) This pack, which contains an editable excel spreadsheet, base roster (.ros) and default roster (.rdf)

Instructions.

1.) Open the .ros file with 010 hex editor.
2.) In 010 editor. Set the line width to 100 bytes per row.

View/Line Width/Custom Width/100 bytes per row

3.) Select all the hex data by using CTRL+A
4.) Copy it all to the clipboard by using CTRL, SHIFT + C

5.) Open up the Rugby 08 Roster Editor spreadsheet.

6.) Go to the 'Hex' worksheet.

7.) Select the 'Paste' icon and then select 'Use Text Import Wizard".

Tutorial 0.jpg

Paste by 'Delimited', 'Space'
**All the hex data should now be pasted into the spreadsheet.

The 'Decimal' worksheet converts the Hex data into decimal for us.
8.) Go to the 'Decimal' worksheet and select all data by using CTRL + A, followed by CTRL + C.

9.) Go to the 'Edit' worksheet and paste the decimal data into cell A1 by using CTRL + V.

10.) Go to Cell E150 of the 'Edit' worksheet and enter this formula into the cell

=char(Decimal!E150)

**This converts the decimal data to text.

11.) Highlight the bottom right corner of the converted cell (E150) and hold down the left mouse button while dragging across to the right from E150 through to T150.

Tutorial 2.jpg

12.) Keep the cells selected while double clicking the bottom right corner of the selected data.
This should apply the formula to all the rows below.
The player names should begin to appear.

Tutorial 4.jpg

Tutorial 5.jpg

13.) Now we need to get rid of the ### symbols.

The selected data should still be highlighted.
CTRL + C to copy it.
Right click and then re-paste it in the same position as 'values'

Paste as values.jpg

Once it has been pasted as 'values',
keep the data selected again and do a 'Find' and 'Replace' (CTRL + H ), for the following;

In the 'Find With' field: #VALUE!

Ensure the 'Replace With' field is empty

This should clear the ### from the 'Edit' worksheet.

14.) Go to the 'Player Editor' worksheet

We now need to convert the position values from binary to decimal.

Tutorial 7.jpg

Copy & Paste as values - Column F to G
Column H to I
Column J to K

In Columns G, I & K - use 'Find' and 'Replace' (CTRL + H) to convert using the following

Binary Position Decimal
0000 NIL (keep the 'Replace With' field empty)

0001 Loosehead Prop 1
0010 Hooker 2
0011 Tighthead Prop 3
0100 Second Row 4
0101 Blindside Flanker 6
0110 Openside Flanker 7
0111 Number 8 8
1000 Scrum Half 9
1001 Fly Half 10
1011 Centre 13
1010 Winger 14
1100 Fullback 15

15.) Once all the players positions are displaying correctly, you can hide any irrelevant fields by highlighting the column and using 'hide'.

16.) In the 'Player Editor', You can edit the following fields

Handed: (129 - Right, 001 - Left)
Tendency:
Attack:
Defence:
Speed:
Acceleration:
Agility:
Handling:
Passing:
Kicking:
Kick Power:
Goal Kicking:
Tackling:
Strength:
Rucking:
Scrums:
Hooking:
Lineout:
Discipline:
Aggression:

Stamina:
Consistency:
Temperament:
Creativity:
Bravery:
Set Play Success:
Crash Ball:
Gap Defence:

Special Abilities:
Boot Style:
Face:
Skin Colour:
Head - Extra Byte:
Thigh / Arm Tape:

In the 'Team Performance' worksheet, you can edit the following attributes;
Attack:
Defence:
Scrums:
Lineouts:
Rucking:
Kicking:
Technique:
Stamina:
Flair:
Overall Rating:
Performance:

WL Performance:

17.) Once you have updated the 'Player Editor' or 'Team Performance' worksheets, the 'New Ros' and 'New RDF' worksheets should update.

Go to the 'New Ros' worksheet.
Select all the hex data in the 'New Ros" using CTRL + A,
Copy it to the clipboard by using CTRL + C

Go back into 010 editor.
Paste the data using CTRL + SHIFT + V and replace your .ros file.

18.) Likewise, its a similar process with the 'New RDF' , and you are replacing file '73cb47d1d69c90f28fd1cc4186ac1926.rdf' which goes into your main folder.

Thanks for this - I've had a first go at it and got down to steps 16/17. I'm not sure where exactly I need to edit stats - is it fields W to AZ of the 'Player Editor' tab? They seem to link back to the 'Edit tab (e.g. =Edit!AG1708) so should I be changing values in that tab? (AG-BZ)

After editing then I'm not 100% sure on how to reimport. The spreadsheet says:

"To reimport the roster, copy all the values from tend across to 99 & down for all players.

Paste into the' Decimal' workbook from cell AG150 to update the workbook. Go to the 'New Hex' workbook and CTRL+A to select all before using CTRL+C to copy to the clipboard."

The 'Decimal' tab seems to link back to the 'Hex' tab (e.g. =HEX2DEC(Hex!V131)).

Above you say "Once you have updated the 'Player Editor' or 'Team Performance' worksheets, the 'New Ros' and 'New RDF' worksheets should update.". The 'New Ros' tab seems to update off the 'Hex' tab (e.g. =Hex!A1) so do I need to paste edited data into there? I guess it needs to be converted from decimal to hex first?

So essentially stuck on which bit to edit and then the process to get it exported out correctly

Also do you use the new or old Woosahs editor to change player names and add players to teams? The links on the forum seem to be broken for both but I got a download for the 'New' one from MJC Studios. I saw that this could cause bug/crashing issues - do you use this to make your rosters and have you had any issues? It also says I need .NET 2.0.50727 - will have a google for that.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for this - I've had a first go at it and got down to steps 16/17. I'm not sure where exactly I need to edit stats - is it fields W to AZ of the 'Player Editor' tab? They seem to link back to the 'Edit tab (e.g. =Edit!AG1708) so should I be changing values in that tab? (AG-BZ)

After editing then I'm not 100% sure on how to reimport. The spreadsheet says:

"To reimport the roster, copy all the values from tend across to 99 & down for all players.

Paste into the' Decimal' workbook from cell AG150 to update the workbook. Go to the 'New Hex' workbook and CTRL+A to select all before using CTRL+C to copy to the clipboard."

The 'Decimal' tab seems to link back to the 'Hex' tab (e.g. =HEX2DEC(Hex!V131)).

Above you say "Once you have updated the 'Player Editor' or 'Team Performance' worksheets, the 'New Ros' and 'New RDF' worksheets should update.". The 'New Ros' tab seems to update off the 'Hex' tab (e.g. =Hex!A1) so do I need to paste edited data into there? I guess it needs to be converted from decimal to hex first?

So essentially stuck on which bit to edit and then the process to get it exported out correctly

Also do you use the new or old Woosahs editor to change player names and add players to teams? The links on the forum seem to be broken for both but I got a download for the 'New' one from MJC Studios. I saw that this could cause bug/crashing issues - do you use this to make your rosters and have you had any issues? It also says I need .NET 2.0.50727 - will have a google for that.

Thanks for your help!
Edit the player stats within the Player Editor tab. They should automatically update within the new ros and new rdf tabs.

Once you are happy - ensure all players are in the correct sort order. (Not normally required, unless you have been sorting by position, speed...etc)

Go into the new ros tab and highlight everything.

CTRL C to copy the new roster

CTRL SHIFT + V to paste back into the hex editor.
the new roster is created.

Same process for the rdf file

You can use woosah's editor to create player names and assign them into teams, but dont use it to create a default roster as it will crash at the recruitment screen.

Last edited:
Ah perfect works a treat- I just tested changing one player attributes and all looks to be working. Will try get that woosash's editor working to test editing some player names. Just trying to get a feel for how the modding works. Going to have a look into face editing tomorrow. In terms of producing the ratings how do you go about it? Is a higher global player ratings better gameplay wise etc. Do you go through each team one at a time etc.? Do you reference any player stats when putting together the player attributes? I'm looking in to the amazon web service based six nations player stats + fox sports lab super rugby season player stats as a way to produce some real world metrics to help decide attributes for players based on recent form (e.g. handling errors per pass/carry for 'handling' attribute or ruck arrivals per 80/cleanouts per 80 for 'rucking' attribute or lineout takes/lineout steals per 80 for 'lineout' attribute or passes per 80/assists per pass/line break assists per 80 for 'passing' attribute or tackles per 80/tackle success rate for 'tackling' attribute. Happy to share if you think something like that would be helpful. Also is there a way to calculate the overall rating that the attribute changes will produce?

Each attribute(Im assuming you are talking about special ability) gives a +1 rating, star players have a +6 rating

Each position calculates rating differently, eg loose trio looks at the average of ruck, tackle and strength, centres looks at handling and passing etc

Ah interesting - got the woosah editor working and I see wingers base overall is essentially an average of speed, acceleration and agility only (on the editor putting 0 for anything else like handling doesn't seem to impact overall). Wasn't aware +1 per special ability or +6 for star player. The +6 star player one seems a bit strange initially to me - do we know if the +6 rating has any impact on specific stats in the game e.g. speed or tackle breaking? How can you set who is star player or see who they are outside of a game? (thinking about adding overall calculation to ama1's spreadsheet with a formula).

Also I noticed some players in the mod I'm using are specific players from the original game based on commentary e.g. Cheslin Kolbe = Jason Robinson (seems pretty sensible) - how are these set and does it mean they have additional traits or in game stats in addition to what we can see?

I think each star has an ability, but I dont know them all

Here are some I remember:
S.Williams (sidestep always works)
B.Habana (sidestep always works)
T.Umaga (Tackle break)
J.Lewsey (Tackle break)
J.Collins (Tackle)
C.Latham (Big boot & "perfect defense)
Carter, Wilkinson, Henson, Mongomery (Big boot)

Some non star players also have special abilities:
M.Nonu (tackle break)
Dont know a lot of them but you can see they are kind of special in the WL. Eg: Two centres could have identical stats and ratings (lets say M.Nonu and J.de Villiers had the same stats and abilities). In this case Nonu will cost higher coz of the tackle break ability he has

Hope this make sense, Im typing on my phone

Also I noticed some players in the mod I'm using are specific players from the original game based on commentary e.g. Cheslin Kolbe = Jason Robinson (seems pretty sensible) - how are these set and does it mean they have additional traits or in game stats in addition to what we can see?

I think some player's names are hard coded (mostly the top/well known players at that time, you'll still hear peter stinger made a great pass if he was overrided with another scrumhalf)

Theres also some kicking styles hard coded in some players, I remember always changing D.Hill to E.Jantjies (similar Wilkinson type kicking style, Henson to D.McKenzieb etc)

In terms of producing the ratings how do you go about it? Is a higher global player ratings better gameplay wise etc. Do you go through each team one at a time etc.? Do you reference any player stats when putting together the player attributes? I'm looking in to the amazon web service based six nations player stats + fox sports lab super rugby season player stats as a way to produce some real world metrics to help decide attributes for players based on recent form (e.g. handling errors per pass/carry for 'handling' attribute or ruck arrivals per 80/cleanouts per 80 for 'rucking' attribute or lineout takes/lineout steals per 80 for 'lineout' attribute or passes per 80/assists per pass/line break assists per 80 for 'passing' attribute or tackles per 80/tackle success rate for 'tackling' attribute. Happy to share if you think something like that would be helpful. Also is there a way to calculate the overall rating that the attribute changes will produce?
Ive tried something similar in the past, the idea is fantastic, but the time it takes (if you doing it alone) feels like forever. I would suggest doing all your planning and formulas on excel so that everything is automated (eg if tackle break per run is more than 70%, give tackle break ability and higher strength rating)

If you can automate the stats by providing some input ( eg age, height, weight, which would automate acceleration and stamina) that would be great

Ive tried something similar in the past, the idea is fantastic, but the time it takes (if you doing it alone) feels like forever. I would suggest doing all your planning and formulas on excel so that everything is automated (eg if tackle break per run is more than 70%, give tackle break ability and higher strength rating)

If you can automate the stats by providing some input ( eg age, height, weight, which would automate acceleration and stamina) that would be great

All really useful info - will see what I can come up with this weekend. Had an idea of trying to automate the ratings by using specific metrics and then percentile ranking them to essentially see how that players tackling stats etc. performs against other players in that position/comp etc. That bit should be straightforward enough but honestly I think as a end result it will throw up a load of cases with fairly questionable ratings if I try to automate - rugbypass index is a good example of where using stats alone can cause some shockers. Think it will be good at least to use to tweak some ratings and interesting to compare some players.

Also putting together a list of a few things I've noticed to correct (Ruan Ackermans age, space in Bernard Le Roux surname needed, Ollie Thorley hair colour is brown in game but is blonde, Zach mercers weight a bit low, some players such as Caleb Clarke and Faletau have Canada flag etc.) Happy to adjust the changes myself but ideally be adding these into a central mod to make it as good as possible for anyone who wants it. Only small things so not too important. Few players I picked out as lower than expected (e.g. Tomos Williams maybe one that sticks out to me being half welsh -Cardiff blues and likely when fit Wales' no.1 scrum half ahead of Gareth Davies/Rhys Webb/Kieran Hardy/Lloyd Williams, Josh Navidi another one - second most tackles in six nations so far this year just behind Tupuric, Matthieu Jailbert as well - current French 10 keeping Ntamack out the 10 shirt for now)

Also had a go at some face design - pretty happy with some faces I made (head models and textures using GIMP and Blender). Annoying thing is the head models I made are .obj and need to be working with .o files. Found oedit to be seriously slow for the UV mapping bit to the point of unusable (and not luck converting to .o without corrupting it) so will see if I can get a virtual machine window XP and see if it runs better there. If I can't I guess I could just add textures I make to a standard head model for a player that looks close enough and see if that looks ok - still need to figure out how you actually get the faces exported and imported back in the game - think I need Fshed and BigGui from searching the forum so will have a go. I've got the list of .big player faces from the Rugby 08 file list spreadsheet which is a great starting point. Want to add some real face minifaces in the game too which seems a bit easier.

Ah interesting - got the woosah editor working and I see wingers base overall is essentially an average of speed, acceleration and agility only (on the editor putting 0 for anything else like handling doesn't seem to impact overall). Wasn't aware +1 per special ability or +6 for star player. The +6 star player one seems a bit strange initially to me - do we know if the +6 rating has any impact on specific stats in the game e.g. speed or tackle breaking? How can you set who is star player or see who they are outside of a game? (thinking about adding overall calculation to ama1's spreadsheet with a formula).

Hi JPilky, where can I find woosah editor?

Hi JPilky, where can I find woosah editor?
Here are the links to all the tools that I use (this is focused on player face design):

Note Woosahs roster editor does have its issues and glitches in terms of incorrectly assigning player skins, not showing data properly etc. It is useful as a quick fix to change player name, player head, boots etc. but the above hex/excel approach is far safer in terms of getting a stable game where you can play World league ok etc.

Thank you very much for this, much appreciated! Thanks for the heads-up on the Woosahs roster editor. To avoid issues and glitches, I think I'll stick with the Hex/Excel approach. I've only just started with it but I'm starting to figure out what each value/cell means e.g. each team has 60 cells each on the Hex/Decimal/Edit tab (2 per player) for instance Argentina's 30-man squad is from AG2 - CN2 where AG2 and AH2 is the Loosehead Prop (the teams are actually highlighted and marked on the Edit tab but I did not know what it meant at first). Then, each player's individual Hex ID is column A and B from row 150 onwards e.g. J.Wilkinson is row 1239 thus his individual Hex ID is b8;36 (A1239;B1239).

You got it brother! Keep in mind that star players need to inherit the Hex ID to inherit the special ability

Hey ama1, for some reason I can't change the team performance of France. It keeps setting it to 0 when I check with woosah's editor. For other teams it seems to work

If this is for the default roster, than 0 = the highest ranking, 5 = the lowest.

For World League (rdf), it is reversed - where 5 becomes the higher ranking and 0 being the least.

Thanks, was a bit confused with performances. I'll recheck later on

Oh yeah, what formula can I use to update the age, weight and height with in the 'New Ros workbook".

Can I just copy the formula (Dec2hex) to columns W, AC and AD on the new ros work?

Latest posts