• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 08 video thread

Knowsley/Lox I've just got a few Q's

Can you chose which direction to offload to?

No.

Are there advanced rucks or lineouts or is it just the same as 06?

Advanced lineouts are there, but I just stick with basic. It seems easier to win linouts against the throw on this game cos the thrower makes a slight movement before throwing.

Does the AI defend better, especially around the blind side?

Yes it does. Especially on the line, but I find 2 quick passes and you nearly always make a break. 9 times out of 10 they'll cover and tackle you.

Is there a view similar to classic view in 06?

End view is similar, but the camera doesn't switch when you lose the ball. Defending takes some getting used to, but, after continuous play, makes for a more exciting game!

Do the set moves work better?

Yes! Quicker to implement and much smoother.

Are there any new set moves?

Nope. Same as last time!

In 06 the AI mostly attacked with set moves - is this the same in 08?

Mostly yes, but I've noticed that they do go for gaps on their own and will always exploit weak defence. Carter for New Zealand is very good at running the show.

Any chance of a 08 review, perhaps after a few more games on elite level??!! :bravo:

Possibly. As soon as I have a bit of time!

Thanks

The thing that was most strikingly obvious in these videos was, the depth of the attacking backline. I swear, that the backs on 06 did not stand that deap or at such sharp angles from the ball carrier. It just look wrong. Also Locks, I see you haven't used the flyhalf runnig onto the ball thing yet.. is it still there?? [/b]

Yes it is. I've just started using it and the fly half runs onto the ball much faster and with more impact than 06.

Dummies are in as well, but they're a bit harder to time.

can players play in many different positions or do they drop the ball if out of position. i.e. mortlock at fly half for example

can players play in many different positions or do they drop the ball if out of position. i.e. mortlock at fly half for example [/b]

Don't know. Not tried that yet!

Thanks for your responses Lox.

Is there any difference with the special moves (sidestep, shoulder charge etc) i.e do they work any better/worse?

Cheers

God this would be an awesome Rugby League game. Practically is with mauls never occuring and rucks being completely random. 6 rucks per team, drop 2 players off the field and booya an awesome game.

Is this on PS2 or PC? Graphics look marginally better but disappointing to see that game play hasn't changed and more importantly the buggy things are still in the game. Also Locksley, you don't seem to score many tries..

What about player momentum in different weather conditions?

And the bug that the fly half only runs onto the ball in the second half in the dry or first half in the wet?

Knowsley/Lox I've just got a few Q's

Can you chose which direction to offload to?

No.

Are there advanced rucks or lineouts or is it just the same as 06?

Advanced lineouts are there, but I just stick with basic. It seems easier to win linouts against the throw on this game cos the thrower makes a slight movement before throwing.

Does the AI defend better, especially around the blind side?

Yes it does. Especially on the line, but I find 2 quick passes and you nearly always make a break. 9 times out of 10 they'll cover and tackle you.

Is there a view similar to classic view in 06?

End view is similar, but the camera doesn't switch when you lose the ball. Defending takes some getting used to, but, after continuous play, makes for a more exciting game!

Do the set moves work better?

Yes! Quicker to implement and much smoother.

Are there any new set moves?

Nope. Same as last time!

In 06 the AI mostly attacked with set moves - is this the same in 08?

Mostly yes, but I've noticed that they do go for gaps on their own and will always exploit weak defence. Carter for New Zealand is very good at running the show.

Any chance of a 08 review, perhaps after a few more games on elite level??!! :bravo:

Possibly. As soon as I have a bit of time!

Thanks

<div class='quotemain'> The thing that was most strikingly obvious in these videos was, the depth of the attacking backline. I swear, that the backs on 06 did not stand that deap or at such sharp angles from the ball carrier. It just look wrong. Also Locks, I see you haven't used the flyhalf runnig onto the ball thing yet.. is it still there?? [/b]

Yes it is. I've just started using it and the fly half runs onto the ball much faster and with more impact than 06.

Dummies are in as well, but they're a bit harder to time.

[/b][/quote]

What have they done to the dummies then, cos they were dirt easy to do in 06, but I havent managed one yet in this. Mind you with the new camera angle unless zoomed right in, its hard to tell if you have done one or not.

Thanks for your responses Lox.

Is there any difference with the special moves (sidestep, shoulder charge etc) i.e do they work any better/worse?

Cheers

[/b]

Moves seem pretty much the same.

From the videos it looks a lot faster and smoother than Rugby 06 - is that correct lads?

Glad to hear you can dive on the ball and get straight back up now if no one is on you. It does look like they have added a few minor improvements that were wrong with 06. but it's a pity they have not added anything of significance. I still say JLR is the best rugby game 10 years on!!!

From the videos it looks a lot faster and smoother than Rugby 06 - is that correct lads?

Glad to hear you can dive on the ball and get straight back up now if no one is on you. It does look like they have added a few minor improvements that were wrong with 06. but it's a pity they have not added anything of significance. I still say JLR is the best rugby game 10 years on!!!

[/b]

They have added some good bits, simple things like getting back up when not tackled, but they have added some stupid bits in too, like crap drop goals, no classic2 type cam and left plenty of other duff stuff in like not having chance to fart when taking a tap penalty, running from the ruck being useless on elite as once the animation finishes your tackled, players out of position suddenly cant even manage to catch a ball.. the list is pretty much the same as 06.

The momement does feel smoother. There feels an element of 360 degree movement about it rather than just up, up left, up right etc. I feel EA have generally done well with the PS2 compared to the likes of SIDHE with regards to frame rates etc. This obviously has plenty to do with the fact they can just use a well developed engine like fifa for their ***les. The fact remains though, the xbox version would be faster, smoother and with sharper graphics. Gutted we arnt getting a version.

PC should be much better than ps2 though.

Are Lineouts basicaly the same as 06 or for example if you were playing as France could you use Harinordoquy as a jumper even though he is playing as a backrow?

Do you find the single player game better than 06? Is ther any more depth/variety? My main gripe with 06 is that every game felt the same, the same moves, the same tries being scored etc I guess its too early for you guys to tell. Extended play will reveal all!

Cheers :)

Do you find the single player game better than 06? Is ther any more depth/variety? My main gripe with 06 is that every game felt the same, the same moves, the same tries being scored etc I guess its too early for you guys to tell. Extended play will reveal all!

Cheers :)

[/b]

I think every match generally seems the same.

players out of position suddenly cant even manage to catch a ball.. the list is pretty much the same as 06.
[/b]

thats so rubbish. on 05 you could have a forward in the backline if you really wanted!

players out of position suddenly cant even manage to catch a ball.. the list is pretty much the same as 06.
[/b]
thats so rubbish. on 05 you could have a forward in the backline if you really wanted! [/b]

I even just tried turning the knock ons right the way down and they still do it even then. Its so crap.

Heres another one for you...

Why oh why have they now added an imaginary barrier so you cant go offside unless your player is late getting back onside from a tackle? You cant actually deliberately go offisde now! I just cannot see the logic, possibly beyond making it easier for people to pick up the game who dont even know what offside is in rugby union.

So the question is what do I do now when Im playing and getting beat and just want to run straight into their line up and knock someones head off?

Total poo!

Looks like a lot of the changes they are making are to make the game more accessible [/b]

Like them or not, EA are very clever when it comes to hitting their target audience.

Firstly, they know they have no competition, and know that the hoardes of rugby fans anticipating a new game will buy it as long as it is no worse than the previous ***le.

Then they have obviously looked at the impact the last RWC had on the sport. They have anticipated large numbers of newcomers finding the sport and wanting to play the video game to replay the fantastic moments they have witnessed. Almost any other sports game franchise making their game more 'pick up and playable' may risk alienating its existing fanbase, but EA know they can make such changes without much risk.

One in the eye for hardcore rugger fanatics, but they have their business heads screwed on right.

You may well be right but thinking about this imaginary barrier, this might actually be a good thing. in 06 its easy to defend because you can creep up to the offside line and smash the opposition player as he gets the ball, preventing the AI from gaining any momentum or building up pace. By having the barrier, it will give the AI more time to spin the ball out and run at the defence. Maybe this is why lox and Knowsley are finding it harder to defend? just a thought

<div class='quotemain'> Looks like a lot of the changes they are making are to make the game more accessible [/b]

Like them or not, EA are very clever when it comes to hitting their target audience.

Firstly, they know they have no competition, and know that the hoardes of rugby fans anticipating a new game will buy it as long as it is no worse than the previous ***le.

Then they have obviously looked at the impact the last RWC had on the sport. They have anticipated large numbers of newcomers finding the sport and wanting to play the video game to replay the fantastic moments they have witnessed. Almost any other sports game franchise making their game more 'pick up and playable' may risk alienating its existing fanbase, but EA know they can make such changes without much risk.

One in the eye for hardcore rugger fanatics, but they have their business heads screwed on right.

[/b][/quote] its also very risky to make massive changes B)

Can you still tackle the ball receiver before he gets the ball?

If so is it penalised?

Latest posts