• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 08 video thread

nope you are pretty much correct there. Its been around since the 2**4 days and a rule that i dont think they will bother to fix.

Anyway next year that rule may change, you never know with the IRB.

Well it looks like the AI is a tiny bit better on attack, on d it's just as clueless. Graphics do seem to be better, but whether that's because of the camera angles, new kits or poor quality of youtube vids remains to be seen.
The only other conclusion to draw from these vids is that I and probably most of the other forum members would wipe the floor with you locksley :bleh!:
Cheers for the clips.

hey lox and knowsley, what are your opinions of rugby 08? a step up from rugby 06, or a step down, or pretty much exactly the same?

from the videos it seems pretty much the same as rugby 06, apart from the camera angles. I would like to know the feel of the game.

The only other conclusion to draw from these vids is that I and probably most of the other forum members would wipe the floor with you locksley :bleh!:
Cheers for the clips.
[/b]

haha Someone finally pointed that out lol... cheers lox lol

thos emust be the new sa and aussie kits. ea must have wrangled a sneak preview s they could go in the game. the kit unveiling press days are normally a big hoo-ha (i used to dwork for a kit manufacturer and they are funny about that sort of thing) and ive seen nothing of these unis anywhere else so canterbury could well be ****** off if they saw this! they try and keep these things secret till they release the photos to the press.

GO SOUTHAFRICA!!! heheheheh last minute win...

lox you suck on defense lol - but the cpu ai did seem a little better on offense...

That's what I've been saying all along. The defending is awful IMO. I could defend all day on rugby 06 without letting a point in, but when the AI makes a break in Rugby 08 it's through no fault of your own mostly.

Also, side view is NOT my cup of tea. I just can't play on that view.

BRING BACK CLASSIC 2

Yes, you're all right...... I am crap!!!! :D

So what are the new defensive moves?. [/b]

You can just change your defensive formation any time while defending with the D pad. Kick, Tight, Wide etc. 4 different ones.

With regards to defending it is quite difficult to judge and I think much more difficult that in 06. Its probably something you will get used to over time but its quite a change after playing 06. I actually think HB have used this as a cheap way to make the AI attack seem improved. What I tend to find when the AI makes a break is having to wait to commit until you can see where your fullback is. If you commit with the player your chasing with, miss and then your full back is no where to be seen then its a try. Thats the problem with this view, you never know where your full back is.

Hey lox and knowsley, great work guys, thanks heaps for giving us all this!

A couple of questions for you:

Does the game still pack scrums after the 80 mins, and the only way to end the game is to kick it out or score? or have they fixed that?

And.. Lox, was that the default Australian line-up you were playing with? Is Gits still the default goal kicker for Aust? Does Mortlock's goal kicking ability reflect his improvement over the past couple of years?

Thanks heaps again guys...

From what I've noticed in the video the AI never seem to win turn over ball - in fact they have precious little possession!

Hey

Thanks for showing us these videos, ive been waiting just like everyone else for EA sports to release this game and i dont know why they havent released a propper video?...anyways the only thing that really concerns me is that the lineout looks horrible and i can tell from this why people are saying it looks like rugby 04 as the players animation is really bad? maybe this is just the video but is that the only angle you can chose for the lineout?

cheerz bro

<div class='quotemain'> So what are the new defensive moves?. [/b]

You can just change your defensive formation any time while defending with the D pad. Kick, Tight, Wide etc. 4 different ones.

[/b][/quote]

so isn't that the same as 06?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> So what are the new defensive moves?. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Similar! If I remember rightly, you could only change defence on 06 at a ruck!. You can do it during general play in 08.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> So what are the new defensive moves?. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Similar! If I remember rightly, you could only change defence on 06 at a ruck!. You can do it during general play in 08.

[/b][/quote]

and a dpad icon comes up on the screen with the different formations.

hey lox and knowsley, what are your opinions of rugby 08? a step up from rugby 06, or a step down, or pretty much exactly the same?

from the videos it seems pretty much the same as rugby 06, apart from the camera angles. I would like to know the feel of the game.
[/b]

Some things are better, some things are worse.

Dont think the graphics are as good

Its easier to get punts away without it being a knock on and the kicking arrow that comes up is a little smoother and slower.

Im pretty sure you can get back up after diving on the ball if no one tackles you ( only done it once but Im sure thats what happened )

Cant seem to do dummies anymore with left then right or vice versa trigger button.

Drop goals are rubbish.

Its a mixed bag. I think some with prefer 06 and some 08.

Wow! This looks exactly the same as Rugby 06 but with the RWC license... FFS EA why do you have to keep proving us cynics right? It's a WC year, so the game will make them money, the least they could do is make it a half decent improvement on the predecessor.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> So what are the new defensive moves?. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b]

Its easier to get punts away without it being a knock on and the kicking arrow that comes up is a little smoother and slower.

Im pretty sure you can get back up after diving on the ball if no one tackles you ( only done it once but Im sure thats what happened )

Cant seem to do dummies anymore with left then right or vice versa trigger button.

Drop goals are rubbish.

[/b][/quote]

Knowsley/Lox I've just got a few Q's

Can you chose which direction to offload to?

Are there advanced rucks or lineouts or is it just the same as 06?

Does the AI defend better, especially around the blind side?

Is there a view similar to classic view in 06?

Do the set moves work better?

Are there any new set moves?

In 06 the AI mostly attacked with set moves - is this the same in 08?

Any chance of a 08 review, perhaps after a few more games on elite level??!! :bravo:

Thanks

hmm, that south african team looked a bit strange, steyn at flyhalf.. was that hilton lobberts on the flank?
guess its based on the last match of their end of year tour

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> So what are the new defensive moves?. [/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b]

Drop goals are rubbish.

[/b][/quote]

Knowsley/Lox I've just got a few Q's

Can you chose which direction to offload to?
No I think all advanced does it make it go to ground, there is certainly no indication that you can use left and right etc.

Are there advanced rucks or lineouts or is it just the same as 06?
Advanced lineouts where you use the analogue stick to throw. No advanced rucks.

Does the AI defend better, especially around the blind side?
I would say if anything ( although im not sure im right, its just the way it seems at the moment ) they cover better out wide, but leave more gaps just off the fringe of the rucks.

Is there a view similar to classic view in 06?
None as good as classic.

Do the set moves work better?
I cant be arsed with em to be honest.

Are there any new set moves?
Dunno. ( Lox uses em I think, he will tell you )

In 06 the AI mostly attacked with set moves - is this the same in 08?

They do still use them a fair bit yes.

Any chance of a 08 review, perhaps after a few more games on elite level??!! :bravo:

Thanks

[/b][/quote]

The thing that was most strikingly obvious in these videos was, the depth of the attacking backline. I swear, that the backs on 06 did not stand that deap or at such sharp angles from the ball carrier. It just look wrong. Also Locks, I see you haven't used the flyhalf runnig onto the ball thing yet.. is it still there??

Latest posts