• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2005

Sounds very promising.
Shouldn't be too long before a couple of screenshots are released now surely.

"EA also wanted to improve the artificial intelligence of the game. Again using the FIFA engine they have been able to improve this aspect of the ***le and along with this, have given gamers the option to smash opponents up even more to the point where you can even get into a fight"

Is this a sign that EA have concentrated on adding "superficial" stuff, rather then concentrate on the core "gameplay" problems..............

I hope not............

I was also thinking that as I read the following

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
EA have put a huge focus on retaining and obtaining more licenses to use in the next game because as Andrew explained this is what gamers want[/b]

Sure we want licenses, but we want good gameplay first.

Anyway, apart from that I'm impressed.

The more I read of the rugby 2005 info - the more I think that it will still be tripe......

Apart from adding some new stuff, and improving graphics, nothing has been said of the obvious gameplay problems being fixed...........

Until the developers acknowledge that rugby 2004 was crap I don't like the chances of the new version being a hell of a lot better.............

It sounds very unfinished at the moment, and I have no confidence in them being able to put out a "polished" final product in time.

Hate to be a "party pooper", but I for one have been stung once too often in the past..........

I am a very optimistic person

I have once again believed all this hype, and now cant wait

Someone smack me now, coz i dont want a repeat of heartbreakingness that 2004 brought.

At about the same time in 2003, many independent sites, mentioned Rugby 2k4 would be the best rugby game ever aand something for fans to finally look forward to.

This is all de-ja-vu - And my optimistic gullablism, is taking its toll already.

I will threaten HB if they screw this again.

And whats this Queensland crap i am reading - I though 2k4 was 100% Canadian.

Why is it now known it was produced in queensland and not when it was released.

Were they hiding something back when they released 2004.
Maybe if they let out it was produced in queensland, nobody would have bought the game, coz chances are queenslands resources and facilities to produce a game would be very below par in comparison to the rest of the world...hence the FINAL RESULT of, and piece of crap Rugby 2004 is.

That is indeed a revelation............

Why we havn't heard this ever before is beyond me. In every interview I saw with HB prior to rugby 2004 being released it was always portrayed that the game was being developed in Canada...........

Hence all the "Canadians know **** all about rugby" jibes.......

Now the failure of rugby 2004 being a decent game has been blamed on a small Queensland developer??

Dont believe the hype!!!, anything would be better then rugby 2004, so that fact alone will not make a good rugby game...........

REMEMBER these other gems from andrew Wilson of HB............this is from an interview with the cricket 2002tk..........

About cricket 2004.........

"We’ve heard you have something called the “World Leagueâ€. Is this only for the English and Australian club teams or can we choose international sides as well?"

Andrew:"This mode involves management aspects such as buying and selling players along with playing matches. Since this cannot be implemented for International sides, currently this feature supports only the domestic teams".

Where was this in cricket 2004????????

"In Cricket 2002 the wicketkeeper would never run up and pick up the ball even if he was the only player close to the ball. We had to wait for one of the other fielders to throw it to the wicketkeeper. That’s not too realistic. Have you sorted out this wicket keeper problem?"

Andrew:"I am pleased to say that we certainly have".

Um............no you didn't...........

"What about for example, when you turned back in the middle of a run both batsmen would run to the same end. It didn’t get you out but wasn’t too heartening to look at."

"It has also been fixed."

Um..........again still a problem (fielders throwing to the end where two batsmen end up - resulting in no out), with the additional bonus of the runner sometimes not running at all when you pushed the run button, or else running five minutes after pushing the button, causing a run out.

"Is any kind of career or franchise mode implemented? Can you play a whole season of tests and ODIs with a team?"

Andrew"Sure can. I’m really proud to say that we’ve added greatly to the depth and wealth of gaming options and gamers will be occupied for many, many hours"

Sorry for calling Andrew a liar, but where was this "franchise" "career" mode in the game????

"Is the bowling method the same as Cricket 2002 with the wheel and cursor mechanism?"

Andrew:"This has been modified/refined…made more user friendly."

"Could you elaborate a bit on how exactly the bowling wheel has been modified to make it user friendly?"

Andrew:"Its again quite difficult to explain in words but we have certainly looked into improving this"

Could be wrong but it was exactly the same bowling wheel to cricket 2002. This whole interview has Andrew saying it "is too hard to discribe" or "I can't descibe in 20 words or less here" etc. Totally winging it......

"What improvements have been made to the audio in the game?"

Andrew:"We have recorded heaps of new commentary by Jim Maxwell and Ritchie Benaud and new crowd sounds."

There was hardly ANY new pieces of commentary/crowd noise - "heaps" is a massive overstatement.......

"Are there any changes to the controls? Any additional keys / features compared to Cricket 2002?"

Andrew:"Control system works very similar to 2002…just a few new additions that affect how they operate. E.g. batsman courage, (represented by user interface in top left corner of the screen), that affects how batsman face different bowlers. A tail ender facing McGrath will have low courage and as such will be harder to get to hit the ball"

"The batsman courage seems a great idea!"

This must have become the gauge for how "set" the batsman is. Nothing to do with "courage" (or else player with "courage" would start with a full meter), but supposidly the gauge increases the more shots you play etc. Though the computer controlled players didn't seem affected by it......."

Question is, would you trust anything this man says?????

Firstly, HB Studios developed it, there is no doubt about that. Where did it say it was being blamed on a small Queensland developer? It said it was developed in Queensland, which probably means HB Studios came out to Australia for some time to develop it. Which makes sense, as developing a game in and around the environment of rugby would be easier.

And of course they didn't say anything about the gameplay, they didn't play, they only saw videos.

Andrew Wilson said shite all in the 3DAvenue preview. And the claims they are making sound reasonable.

I understand where you're coming from NZL Fan, but I am not entirely convinced.

I will be cautious about how good I think this game will be, but don't shoot them down before they've even seriously begun.

Using the right stick sounds cool. Something we speculated about on JJ's site I think.
And like JJ said, they only watched videos. But they did say a little about gameplay from what they SAW.

Obviously coming out on xbox too

Game: Rugby 2005
Publisher: EASports
Genre: Sports
Platform: Xbox
Date: 05-Sep-2004 10:01 PM
Author: Simon Hutchinson

Often the hype ends up more fun than the game (it was for 2004). So im gonna enjoy the hype. I like the news that they are gonna have 'big hits'. My favourite part of rugby.

Originally posted by JJ-@Sep 10 2004, 04:16 PM
Firstly, HB Studios developed it, there is no doubt about that. Where did it say it was being blamed on a small Queensland developer? It said it was developed in Queensland, which probably means HB Studios came out to Australia for some time to develop it. Which makes sense, as developing a game in and around the environment of rugby would be easier.

And of course they didn't say anything about the gameplay, they didn't play, they only saw videos.

Andrew Wilson said shite all in the 3DAvenue preview. And the claims they are making sound reasonable.

I will be cautious about how good I think this game will be, but don't shoot them down before they've even seriously begun.
In the interview it doesn't say "directly" that they blame the "Queensland connection", though it is clearly insinuated that by moving all the development back to Canada then (unlike rugby 2004) it will be all the more better for it.......

That will be true considering they are using the FIFA engine - but really why mention the "Queensland connection" at all in the interview???, if not to insinuate that that was the major reason rugby 2004 was crap...........

I just can't get caught up in any hype for the sheer fact that HB have never produced an even "half decent sports game". They probably consider themselves "successful" because mugs like myself have bought their games in the past because we havn't had any other choice - especially if you want to play super 12 etc with all the licenses/ real players................

.....as far as "but don't shoot them down before they've even seriously begun", mate, the times I have bought one of their games only to feel totally ripped off..............they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. I have respect for Mario for instance, because he delivered on what he said, made an effort to ask the "Joe public" what they wanted in the game, and concentrated on gameplay over graphics.........have HB ever done any of that????????? the answer is NO........

I also hope rugby 2005 is closer to the real McCoy, but until someone unbiased (ie. not from gameplanet etc.....) actually reports on the gameplay, I for one will remain unimpressed by additional licenses, better graphics, and "fights" - which I might add will add little, to nothing, to a game based on rugby.............

Originally posted by NZL fan+Sep 11 2004, 05:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Sep 11 2004, 05:15 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin--JJ-
@Sep 10 2004, 04:16 PM

In the interview it doesn't say "directly" that they blame the "Queensland connection", though it is clearly insinuated that by moving all the development back to Canada then (unlike rugby 2004) it will be all the more better for it.......

That will be true considering they are using the FIFA engine - but really why mention the "Queensland connection" at all in the interview???, if not to insinuate that that was the major reason rugby 2004 was crap...........

I just can't get caught up in any hype for the sheer fact that HB have never produced an even "half decent sports game". They probably consider themselves "successful" because mugs like myself have bought their games in the past because we havn't had any other choice - especially if you want to play super 12 etc with all the licenses/ real players................

.....as far as "but don't shoot them down before they've even seriously begun", mate, the times I have bought one of their games only to feel totally ripped off..............they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. I have respect for Mario for instance, because he delivered on what he said, made an effort to ask the "Joe public" what they wanted in the game, and concentrated on gameplay over graphics.........have HB ever done any of that????????? the answer is NO........

I also hope rugby 2005 is closer to the real McCoy, but until someone unbiased (ie. not from gameplanet etc.....) actually reports on the gameplay, I for one will remain unimpressed by additional licenses, better graphics, and "fights" - which I might add will add little, to nothing, to a game based on rugby............. [/b]
think about it this way, gameplay can't possibly be worse and rugby 2004 never had a positive preview like this one

38 Stadiums...

and where are these so called ''new'' licsenses.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
They will retain all the international licenses including the Wallabies and All Blacks as well as the Super 12 licenses from the Southern Hemisphere club competition but along with this they have obtained the license for the European Cup which is basically the Rugby version of the UEFA Champions League/Cup and license for the European clubs as well as the British Lions.[/b]

All those were preety much already in it, Id rather they got all the current Rugby 04 ones and got the ZP and maybe the 1st Division of the NPC as well, compared to the number of leagues games like FIFA have those are peanuts

Originally posted by Ripper@Sep 11 2004, 05:45 PM
38 Stadiums...

and where are these so called ''new'' licsenses.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
They will retain all the international licenses including the Wallabies and All Blacks as well as the Super 12 licenses from the Southern Hemisphere club competition but along with this they have obtained the license for the European Cup which is basically the Rugby version of the UEFA Champions League/Cup and license for the European clubs as well as the British Lions.

All those were preety much already in it, Id rather they got all the current Rugby 04 ones and got the ZP and maybe the 1st Division of the NPC as well, compared to the number of leagues games like FIFA have those are peanuts [/b][/quote]
mate i'd rather 38 great stadiums than 67 that all look crap, mainly due to the graphics of 04 and the pathetic crowd... they would of had to remake all the stadiums and i don't really give a toss if suva, moscow, apia are in the game... well this one anyway

I never got caught up in the hype of '04 nor was I disappointed when I got it. This was mainly because I'd already heard it was terrible so actually found it better than what I expected.

Realistic crowds and stadiums are important to me. They all add to the overall feel of the game. I hope they bring back Lang Park, Ballymore and The Gabba but name them rightly this time.

Yeah, I don't care how many stadiums are in the game just as long as they look really good. Same with the crowd. The graphics and fluidity of the players are whats important for me this time around. The reason I say this is because I have no doubt that they will improve the gameplay immensely this time around. And NZL_fan, do you know for a fact that they haven't been speaking to fans and asking for ideas etc? Or, do just assume that because you personally haven't spoken, or seen them around on the net, they don't bother?
No, wait, I've changed my mind, I DO care how many stadiums there are. There has to be at least 4 times as many as WCR. Which there is. Which means I rambling again...

Latest posts