• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2005

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Sep 11 2004, 06:28 PM
There has to be at least 4 times as many as WCR. Which there is. Which means I rambling again...
... 4 Times as many? 5 times 4 = 20, and the preview said 38... hmmmmmmm

Originally posted by umosay+Sep 11 2004, 07:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (umosay @ Sep 11 2004, 07:24 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-.:kaftka:.
@Sep 11 2004, 06:28 PM
There has to be at least 4 times as many as WCR. Which there is. Which means I rambling again...
... 4 Times as many? 5 times 4 = 20, and the preview said 38... hmmmmmmm [/b]
I said AT LEAST 4 times as many. Which there is.
How many were in Rugby 2004?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
think about it this way, gameplay can't possibly be worse and rugby 2004 never had a positive preview like this one[/b]

From gamespy, previewing rugby 2004...........

It's been three long years since EA, or anyone for that matter, has produced a Rugby game for U.S. consumption. With the recent success of the American rugby team, however, EA is banking on a big surge of interest within the states. The new version of EA Rugby aims to educate Americans about the rough-and-tumble sport, but that shouldn't signify it's got nothing to offer those who are familiar with it. In fact, if you're a serious rugby player, you're going to be playing it for a long, long time.

Ninety-five teams are included in the next version of EA Rugby. That's essentially three times as many teams and players as in Rugby 2001. Though it won't be online this year, up to four players can play simultaneously, dictating the behaviors of groups of players within the team. A new game engine powered by the always-impressive RandomWare suite brings the players and stadiums to life.

There will be a career mode, and though the EA representative wasn't willing to divulge how many seasons you could play, he emphathized players would have to take a team through games against all 95 teams. He estimated the road to the World League could take as long as six months for the average gamer to get through. To those who wouldn't know a scrum from a sideout, there will be a training pitch. It will set up simple goals that will allow the player to not only get familiar with the controls, but also teach them the rules of the game.

In our dry run of the game, passing was accomphished with the top shoulder buttons of a PS2, while other shoulder buttons controlled speed and other tactics. The ball carrier would be tackled, and soon the forwards would form the scrum in order to free the ball on their side. That worked at a steady pace as we pushed, shoved, and sometimes sprinted down the pitch, but mere yards (whoops ... meters) from the goal, a misplaced pass turned over possession of the ball. The tactics of the game are there, along with the inevitable mishaps. Graphically the game was impressive, but in scrums I saw a lot of clipping. This may be improved as work on the game continues. Another interesting addition is a playbook for certain situations, like in a side out. EA borrowed a Madden-style playbook scheme in order to present the various types of tactics a team could take when they bring the ball in play.

All in all, EA Rugby 2004 will be a quantum leap over its predecessor. I asked one of the developers of the game why it took three years in order to develop a sequel to Rugby 2001, and he said it was the work of a smaller team who wanted to present the most complete game possible. It looks like they've succeeded. Rugby 2004 will present a worthy challenge to experienced rugby players and hopefully introduce a new generation of fans to the game.

and what about this snippet from a gameplanet preview.........

Wilson's basic vision for Rugby 2004 is a product with the looks of Madden 2003, but set in a world NZ and international rugby fans will revel in - Super 12, Tri Nations, Bledisloe Cup, World Cup, Six Nations, and a Lions tour are all present and correct.

got to laugh sometimes...........

I know your bringing that up because of what I said, but it doesn't mean jack all. If he thinks rugby 2004 looked like madden 2004 he was on another planet.

Originally posted by umosay@Sep 12 2004, 12:51 PM
I know your bringing that up because of what I said, but it doesn't mean jack all. If he thinks rugby 2004 looked like madden 2004 he was on another planet.
???????????

Originally posted by NZL fan+Sep 12 2004, 12:53 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Sep 12 2004, 12:53 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Sep 12 2004, 12:51 PM
??????????? [/b]
it means jack all in terms of rugby 2005, a rugby 2004 review I couldn't care less about... quoting myself here <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
think about it this way, gameplay can't possibly be worse and rugby 2004 never had a positive preview like this one[/b]

ok maybe i was wrong, but that review was probably written by americans, hence the lack of knowledge (about rugby)

All I was pointing out was that rugby 2004 had some good previews as well, and the game ended up being a travesty to the sport............

I also was pointing out that the developers have lied in the past about their games (especially on the recent cricket 2004), by saying things they knew to be untrue. Also some websites have an interest in "keeping in" with EA sports, and arn't as "impartial" as they should be when previewing/reviewing their games.

It was the developer (not the reviewer) that said his aim for rugby 2004 "is a product with the looks of Madden 2003". Even if the game was in a pretty early stage he must of known that would never be the case - totally misleading and had many people thinking the graphics were going to be awesome in that version.

Finally all I'm saying is DONT GET TOO EXCITED by what you hear about rugby 2005. The worst thing we could do is blindly go out and buy this game (with high expectations)as soon as it is on sale - give the developers our hard earned dosh - and end up totally ripped off again, and leaving them thinking they are successful because rugby 2005 is top of the charts again.........

If your expectations are very low then even an average game will be a surprise.........

I'm with NZL Fan on this one

Its all de ja vu with 2k4

Its all the same blah blah, milaki

This reaks of shitness

Until someone plays it, its 2k4 all over again for me

Anyway my appetite will be tied up with

Tiger woods 2005
V8 Supercars
GTA
Gran Turismo
PES4

ALL THRU SUMMER!!!!

Another snippet for the "news hungry" members........

This off games arena.........

EA Rugby 2005
Platform: PC, PS2, Xbox

The good news? This looks like a decent Rugby game. And the graphics quality has been raised quite a few notches. The bad news? The code being demonstrated was definitely a work in progress. There's all the makings of a breakthrough Rugby game here though - the player models look excellent - they're not Madden quality, but they'd give FIFA a fair run. We witnessed the All Blacks give a fearsome haka prior to starting a match (and the code breaking down), which suggests that the bells and whistles might be more in effect too this time round. Anticipation levels are rising at the thought of a Rugby game that might rise above appealing to fanatical supporters alone.

So a Haka aye. Hmm interesting. "they're not Madden quality, but they'd give FIFA a fair run". Already something not quite up to scratch and i doubt that they would get near FIFA. Those kind of graphics are amazing, unless ofcourse they were talking about FIFA 97. lol

Originally posted by jinxed_nz@Sep 14 2004, 03:59 PM
So a Haka aye. Hmm interesting. "they're not Madden quality, but they'd give FIFA a fair run". Already something not quite up to scratch and i doubt that they would get near FIFA. Those kind of graphics are amazing, unless ofcourse they were talking about FIFA 97. lol
Did you even read the preview at 3davenue? it says the player models were made using the FIFA 2005 skeleton... in other words fifa 2005 graphics...

Thanks for the updates NZL Fan, even if you don't think it will be good you're still useful.

I should give you a 'job' as a news updater for my new site, if you wanted too. Maybe.

Nothing a good "google advanced search" couldn't find..........

If I sniff out any other info. I'll post here - do with the information what you please......

Thought that the Haka would interest people........I had to laugh a little though when it said it crapped out part way through...
<

On a serious note though I am still concerned with what the developers seem to have been working on - hakas????, fights????, big hits????? even MORE licenses?????.............I would have thought improving the overall GAMEPLAY would not only be TOP priority, but would take some time to fix as well...........

"Did you even read the preview at 3davenue? it says the player models were made using the FIFA 2005 skeleton... in other words fifa 2005 graphics..."
Na i didnt see that part because when i read it i was at school and only got time to skim through it. Sorry about that. I seem to be putting my foot in it a bit at the moment. This is great news but i just need to take a few breaths because im not gona go through what i did last time!

Well this is beginging to sound pretty good! Will we eventually see some screenshots do you think?

Originally posted by sanzar@Sep 15 2004, 12:44 AM
Well this is beginging to sound pretty good! Will we eventually see some screenshots do you think?
I'm guessing they'll keep those secret until after release [/sarcasm]

Originally posted by NZL fan@Sep 14 2004, 03:06 PM
- the player models look excellent - they're not Madden quality, but they'd give FIFA a fair run.
FIFA and Madddens graphics are at about the same level really, they both look very polished, so I don't know how they could say that...

Latest posts