• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2006

Have you ever played a decent fighting game/Beat ' em up on pc? PC games don't allow you to talk anywhere near as much **** to your mates when you only just knock them out in Tekken and proclaim yourself to be the greatest of all time. Screaming down a microphone, or furiosly typing acronyms just doesn't compare to really acting like a bad winner. And when was the last time there was a huge platformer or a series of good ones e.g. Rachet and CLank/ Jak/ whatever on the pc? And not to mention that the consoles have had the wood on pc in regards to adventure games. And finally, the only racing game that rivals Gran Turismo must surely be Forza Motorsport.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Errr... Lagging comes as a result of too much information is being passed through your internet connection and its speed.

f*** all to do with the machine you use.[/b]
That doesn't matter, lag still detracts from the gaming experience, which is what I believe he was referring to. Ping spikes in FPS are not fun.

Originally posted by Zambaman@Jul 17 2005, 10:51 AM
And not to mention that the consoles have had the wood on pc in regards to adventure games.
Excuse me?

Ever played any of the Monkey Island games? Or Grim Fandango? Or Sam & Max? Or any of the old Indy games? Or Broken Sword?

Or any host of other great adventure games?

Adventure games are practically non-existent in todays market, but the PC owned the genre when it was at its peak, consoles don't even come close.

Grim Fandango...Ahh that takes me back.

Also, saying consoles own PC in certain genres is stupid, as PC owns consoles in others.

Console:
Sports games
Racing games (Xbox only. PS2 controller isn't too good for racing games)
Fighting
RPG (arguable)

PC:
FPS
Strategy
The Sims (own genre)
MMORPG

The rest are all much in muchness really.

Originally posted by Zambaman@Jul 17 2005, 09:51 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Errr... Lagging comes as a result of too much information is being passed through your internet connection and its speed.

f*** all to do with the machine you use.
That doesn't matter, lag still detracts from the gaming experience, which is what I believe he was referring to. Ping spikes in FPS are not fun. [/b][/quote]
If you read both posts, he was implying that Lag doesn't occour on consoles.

Consoles so far are too far behind PC technology to even be considered better.

Maybe the PS3 and XBOX 360 will change that but for now i'm far happier playing games at superior speed with higher resolution graphics on my sharp LCDs and music system then sitting at the xbox on my 32" telly.

The only advantage to consoles is that you put a disc in and it plays. That's really about it.

Anyone how knows how to operate and get their best out of a PC will have a system that blows any console out of the water.

It's like comparing VHS to HDTV.

Picture quality, sound quality, network quality -----> pc blows it out of the water.

pc gaming have communites for their online games which consoles don't have. In most of the good pc games World of WarCraft Half Life 2 you join clans where you met other people and have a great time playing together with your other clanmates and against other clans. This simply cannot be done on a console yet. Who cares if the person isn't setting next to you its about the atmosphere and fun in the game not if the person is sitting next to you. Lag is barely even noticeable when playing on NZ and Aus servers. The pc communites also have huge amounts of players on them usally in the thousands which means there is lots of people to play with and also met. My 19" monitor is perfectly fine and if I want to play multiplayer I will play online. Improved singleplayer can only go so far for those of us without consoles but online play will make the game last longer and more enjoyable.

Originally posted by sambad5+Jul 17 2005, 08:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sambad5 @ Jul 17 2005, 08:56 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Ripper
@Jul 17 2005, 07:49 PM
ecspecially considirng 95% of the time you wont be in the same room or house.
we have a winner imo.

it comes down to atmosphere and gameplay, again. theres nothing like sitting down on the couch and floor, with a pizza and a few brewskies and with the music up loud that online pc can even compete with. you also have to worry about lagging etc. [/b]
Funny how you lot have twice ignored this point now...

Zambaman also hit the nail on the head:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Have you ever played a decent fighting game/Beat ' em up on pc? PC games don't allow you to talk anywhere near as much **** to your mates when you only just knock them out in Tekken and proclaim yourself to be the greatest of all time. Screaming down a microphone, or furiosly typing acronyms just doesn't compare to really acting like a bad winner.[/b]

Originally posted by Inertia@Jul 18 2005, 02:55 AM
and another thing that we are all forgetting.

$

ps2, xbox are both around $300? or something. for a pc to be compeatable with that then your looking at around $2000 - $3000.

so with that money, you can buy a **** load of games, and with a pc, your still forking out more money for games.

Anyone worth their salt doesn't need to buy PC games... If you know what I mean!
<

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Jul 18 2005, 10:30 AM
Anyone worth their salt doesn't need to buy PC games... If you know what I mean!
<
<
Borrow them from Blockbuster...

<
Mayb not

How many times has this come up, and how many times has it ended with solution, none. There's no way to tell someone what to like in terms of PC or Console gaming.

Of course I'm not one to object to a little healthy debate, but the number of times it's hijacked threads is uncountable, perhaps a PC vs Console thread could be an idea IF it's really necessary to argue this perticular point (and I think we all know it is).

Otherwise, carry on.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Jul 17 2005, 08:22 PM
So my 21=" monitoe, reclining chair and Surround speakers with a built in sub is "f***ing uncomfortable Desk Chairs using a freaking Keyboard with piddily little speakers and a even a more piddily screen.".

Oh, and using Gran Turismo as an example to prove why consoles are better will never work. As I've a said before, good graphics alone a good game doth not make.

Compare PC GAmes to console games for a moment;

(Winner in bold)
Best on PC--------------------------Best on console
Half Life 2------------FPS---------Halo 2
Grand Prix 3---Simulation cars----Gran Turismo
<

NFS:U2--------Arcade Cars-----------Burnout 3
PES4------------Sports-------------PES4
Any and all-----RTS-------------Errr... C&C on PS1?
WoW----------RPG-------------Final Fantasy
<

PC gaming blows huh?

Only if you want to play soccer or have a 10 minuete buzz for your gaming. Consoles are like the Alcopops where PC's are a propper Pint of beer (or 8) followed with a decent Whiskey.
ripper, sambad, zambaman and I simply have no comeback now....

How can we compete with his 21 inch screen!!

<
<
<
<
<

Dude - I have a 29inch flat screen that doesn't get used it is so small and disgusting to me now. If I was to sell it...I'd probably only get 500 dollars.

For a three thousand dollar price tag you could have either one of the following:

- a high-powered pc and a console imitation control or a "joystick" - a graphics and a sound card

OR

- 2 lazy boys
- 2 bean bags
- a projector (dlp preferably)
- a screen (80-100 inch is good and 4:3 is perferable.......or project onto wall up to, are u ready, 300 inches.....still loving your 21 inch Teh Mite?
- lava lamps
- two multi-taps and 8 joysticks connected of course to the console of your choice (mine is ps2)
- and about 15 games - or 136 2 -day hires.

<

Why is this even being debated? lol.............

I guess it does come down preference after all - us gamers (consoles) want to have a kick-ass time and not settle for mediocrity!! There's no accounting for taste!!

i must say though, if i were super mega rich, i would buy a massive pc, best graphics cards, controllers, the whole shebang.

if you have money to BURN then yes, buy a pc, upgrade it heaps, buy a few of them even, you your mates can play on lan with you.

but if your normal. console all the way

i must say though, its good to see xbox and ps2 users getting along
<

You forgot the most 2 estential parts Los Lover - Mates along with Food and Drinks.

Originally posted by sambad5+Jul 18 2005, 10:19 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sambad5 @ Jul 18 2005, 10:19 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Inertia
@Jul 18 2005, 02:55 AM

$

ps2, xbox are both around $300? or something. for a pc to be compeatable with that then your looking at around $2000 - $3000.

so with that money, you can buy a **** load of games, and with a pc, your still forking out more money for games. [/b]
Actually, to compete with a PS2 you wouldn't need that much.

Also, PC's can be used for much more than just games. They aren't just games machines, so you can't compare prices. But if you were, the PC games usually sell for at least $20 less than their console counterparts.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Jul 18 2005, 03:04 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (.:kaftka:. @ Jul 18 2005, 03:04 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sambad5@Jul 18 2005, 10:19 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Inertia
@Jul 18 2005, 02:55 AM

$

so with that money, you can buy a **** load of games, and with a pc, your still forking out more money for games.
Actually, to compete with a PS2 you wouldn't need that much.

Also, PC's can be used for much more than just games. They aren't just games machines, so you can't compare prices. But if you were, the PC games usually sell for at least $20 less than their console counterparts. [/b]
Because why?

Because your pc cost you two grand - that's why.

I got a free pc with my laptop.....

and I just use it to go on the net.....when gaming time comes....the tea pot gets fired up and the big screen goes on...anything less would be a sin.

If you had both...

would you use pc?

If yes, then you are probably a fps addict or need to remeber what it was like when you were a kid in front of those massive arcade machines...

it is that multiplied by about ten
<

And Ripper, yes, quite right - sorry - there be food and drink for all....

"hey no crumbs on the keyboard!!"

<

edit - this is just a viewpoint and not saying you are these things kaftka etc...there is apoint where I digress away from your point and are not talking about you.
<

You are quite a ******** sometimes. Yes, I have a PC, and an Xbox and a PS2. I am more of a console gamer because thats what environment I prefer. I was brought up on console gaming. Others I know prefer PC. And I can see why. It is much better in terms of online gaming. The genres it excels in, it really does excel in. ie. light years in front of its console rivals. Thats FPS (one of the most popular genres I might add) RTS (thanks teh mite) and MMORPGS etc. etc.

Not to mention that power behind these games and the ability to mod/customise your game and the way you play it. The endless amount of peripherals/geeky enhancements.

Yes, the screen may be smaller, but a graphic whore such as yourself Lover must surely realise that a maxed out Doom 3 on a 17" will look better than a PS2 game (yes, even with component cables) on your big ass screen/projector or whatever the hell you've got. Consoles are quite primitive (especially PS2) compared to PCs.

[EDIT] Damn,just saw that Lover. Ah well.
<

<

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jul 18 2005, 04:04 PM
You are quite a ******** sometimes. Yes, I have a PC, and an Xbox and a PS2. I am more of a console gamer because thats what environment I prefer. I was brought up on console gaming. Others I know prefer PC. And I can see why. It is much better in terms of online gaming. The genres it excels in, it really does excel in. ie. light years in front of its console rivals. Thats FPS (one of the most popular genres I might add) RTS (thanks teh mite) and MMORPGS etc. etc.

Not to mention that power behind these games and the ability to mod/customise your game and the way you play it. The endless amount of peripherals/geeky enhancements.

Yes, the screen may be smaller, but a graphic whore such as yourself Lover must surely realise that a maxed out Doom 3 on a 17" will look better than a PS2 game (yes, even with component cables) on your big ass screen/projector or whatever the hell you've got. Consoles are quite primitive (especially PS2) compared to PCs.

[EDIT] Damn,just saw that Lover. Ah well.
<

<
well then edit the rest out kaftka....if you are going to be fair.

<

I didn't deserve to cop that as I too have a ps2 and a pc and a lap top. I mean FFS!!

When I talk about the projector set-up, it is not gloating, hell it is relatively quite inexpensive....the whole set-up is less than a good tv and you could get it four times over for the price of just a 32_inch lcd tv.

I mean hell. You getting angry/touchy (whatever) leads me to believe that you know the set-up kicks ass. So get one. In one year the same set-up will be hooked up to the new ultra-powerful consoles - are they primitive? I mean crumbs.

<

i am sooo keen to join in on this war
<

i was bought up on consoles, first console atari
<

then the megadrive (missed out on the master system
then ps1 - 2 and xbox

but since about 95 i have owned a computer as well
not for games to start with, just the net and the odd bit of homework

then went to tech

learnt more about computers
far superior, and OMG a FPS on a big screen wicked 120" projector screes rox
<
even better, take that down and show it on your wall
<
wicked
<

i would rather play games with superior graphics on my pc, i use my xbox for games that dont come out on pc like jade empire, and also for hiring out games.

don't use my ps2 anymore, actually thinking about selling it along with all my games.

you can do so much more with a pc than just games its awesome but if you are just lookin for games, i think the pc is much more superior just going on what kafka says.

if i were to buy a compter with the power of a ps2, it would proabbly be less than what a ps2 costs, (just won't be able to play ps2 games as it doesn't have the chipset etc) pcs will outlast any console anyday

Latest posts