• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2006

Originally posted by C A Iversen@Nov 1 2005, 08:22 AM
Hey, just thought of something interesting for us to talk about on this thread.

What are everyones first, second and third choice (in order), features to be changed/added/improved for '06?

Here are mine as an example, (the first one is a no-brainer for me)

1. The tackle animation timing

2. Hand-offs that are effective and don't slow you to a crawl performing them.

3. More competitions and teams (including custom both)

Well, whats yours?
<
1. Offloads in the tackle (not crappily implemented ones either)........

2. Penalties. Kicking for goal is a big thing in rugby, in rugby 05 the only real penalties you got was for pulling down the maul from a lineout - 99% of which you kicked for touch to try the same thing again. Offside infringements by the computer were very rarely penalised.

3. Improved responsiveness. lack of which really killed the last game. You'd go to pass but the "tackle animation" would have already kicked in half an hour beforehand hence you couldn't pass even though you should have had plenty of time to do so.

1. General responsiveness of players to be improved - delay times on tackle and pass animations to be cut down, and moves such as sidesteps and handoffs to be more effective and responsive (and offloads added... know that's almost a point in itself but that would leave no room for my others!).

2. More differentiation between different size/strength players in contact situations which should be reflected in tackle animations and retention/loss of posession.

3. Agree with NZL fan, more penalties, particularly around breakdown areas - AI should 'cheat' more often to try to get ball back... but should get caught doing it!

Agree that fifa engine this year would be an excellent base for this game but doubt it was ready in time for development to start was it? General customisation of teams and players is also something that EA do so well in other franchises, and I think that would be a huge bonus for any new rugby game - look at how many people spend hours on Pro Evo creating teams etc to match current ones - it would save acquiring all the licenses as fans would know they (or someone) would be able to create favourite teams/lower leagues etc...

I would happily fork out cash for Rugby 2005 with NPC, Maddens Create a Player, Offloads and Online Play.

In a nutshell, the running, tackling, hand-offs, side steps and spins need to be akin to the NFL games, it's as simple as that. I like the slow game speed of R2005 but the body physics are awful compared to the nfl games. When you pull of a run with a few side steps, hand offs or shoulder charges in the nfl games it's a joy. Just been playing Madden for first time in ages. Plays way too quickly, but it the running game still feels great.

I'm not convinced that the fifa engine can manage the above though, we'll see....

EA are slaves to motion capture and until that mentality changes their cricket, football and rugby games will always be found wanting.INMHO.

They really should have got he Madden engine...I was playing Madden 06 last night, and whenever I ran with my HB I couldn't help but imagine how good it would be as a rugby game....Come on, whos with me?

100%.......and 100% not going to happen!!!

I used to dream about this with the madden 2001 engine.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Nov 1 2005, 04:21 PM
They really should have got he Madden engine...I was playing Madden 06 last night, and whenever I ran with my HB I couldn't help but imagine how good it would be as a rugby game....Come on, whos with me?
4 Words

Truck. Stick. Hit. Stick

Even Better - use the NCAA 2006 Engine, its exactly the same, but it has a lateral button (backwards passing) to save a little bit of time.

Originally posted by Ripper+Nov 1 2005, 06:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Nov 1 2005, 06:26 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-.:kaftka:.
@Nov 1 2005, 04:21 PM
4 Words

Truck. Stick. Hit. Stick

Even Better - use the NCAA 2006 Engine, its exactly the same, but it has a lateral button (backwards passing) to save a little bit of time. [/b]
Definitely, I can't get over how perfect the Madden engine could be for a rugby game...

Originally posted by ZoMbIeAsRtOnAuT@Nov 1 2005, 01:50 PM
EA are slaves to motion capture and until that mentality changes their cricket, football and rugby games will always be found wanting.INMHO.
I think you have hit the nail on the head there mate - I also think motion caption is the one single thing restricting the playability of many of EA sports games.

It may look good but far too unresponsive.

I agree, the gang tackles animations in Madden are almost non existent. When a player gets tackled, they enter the motion captured sequence and this cannot be broken by a third man tackler. It's pretty unrealistic.

Does NCAA have laterals!!?? and if so, why dosent madden? do they work?

I remember madden 98 or 99 had laterals, and you just fumbled every time you tried one.

Oh yeh, they should have used the Madden engine for the rugby game. I was playing madden again the other day and it is's cool when you do a run with the QB or running back. It is way too fast though, would need to cut the speed of the game down by half for a rugby game.

ESPN NFL2k5 is better than madden though. The player's don't look quite so realistic when they run but the shoulder charges, hand offs and side-steps are awesome.

It's probably all academic anyway, EA will stick with the FIFA developers and I can't see rugby 2006 being anywhere near as good as the NFL games..

Maybe in about 4-5 years we'll have rugby games as good as the current nfl games ? Possibly sooner ?

this game needs to have a jolly good shake down, it has humungous potential and it needs to listen to its fans

with the money at ea sports disposal they should be more then capable of creating game which is both fluid and rugged, a good rugby game needs to capture all the elements of a match, you need to really feel like u can do damage with the forwards as well as feeling in total control of the backs.

i think though as fans we do underestimate how hard it actually is to create a rugby game. rugby is such a technical sport and its so hard to create real life rugby situations into a rugby game, for example in rubgy you can have someone dumping a player and ripping the ball from them,

or you can push tem into touch as they make there way for the line

unfortunately games which include all of these are not going to happen over night, we need to be greatful however that we have two companies both ea and swordfish who are making games for us now on a regular basis, and thats only going to be a good thing.

as technology advances and rugbies popularity soares i in no doubt that we will be playing a game where you can rolling maul ur way over the line, and the video ref sais that the ball was held up.

The Hive is buzzing as both Rugby 06 and FIFA Street 2 PSP are nearing completion.

Thats what it says on Hb Studios Site.

How could it be nearing completion? If that were the case surely we would have had some sort of information on it by now. Plus it means it has only been in development for a short while. That doesn't seem like enough time to make the game as good as it should be.

Well they have been working on it for months.Madden doesnt even really improve on the graphics,just the features.So they probably only worked on improving some aspects of the game, as well as adding licenses and new features.

Latest posts