• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012 - Online Game-Play Suggestions Thread

15 v 15 like the FIFA 11 v 11 ... if that happened i would make the chair i'm sat on sticky :) to be able and creat yourself or a player of your choice and play them online or offline would be AMAZING!!

The 15 v 15 would be good. The only problem is it could only work if the forwards are more involved in the gameplay than currently on Rugby 08. Probably the more realistic option would be 1P v 1P or 2P v 2P. The online created players would be nice but I would rather them concentrate on getting the online gameplay glitch free to start with, maybe it could be a downloadable option after release.

If the game does include the British and Irish Lions I believe that this could potentially work well ONLINE!

You could choose to be either the Lions touring (Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England Online Players uniting) against online players from New Zealand, Australia or South Africa.

It sounds like the online mode will only be 1P v 1P. Don't get me wrong this is great news but I would have preferred online multiplayer. I think its essential that the online gameplay has Playstation Eye / Mic compatibility to communicate with other online players.

"It will support local multiplayer for up to four players, while gamers will also be able to take each other on head-to-head over the internet via its online mode". Game.co.uk website.

"National rivalries, venues and player personalities are perfectly captured as participants will fight for the pride of their nation in either solo play or with up to three friends in local multiplayer matches. For the first time, HB Studios will give players the chance to fight for the glory of their country online by challenging other players to one-on-one matches on Xbox LIVE® and PlayStation®Network". HB Official Announcement.

Last edited:
I strongly disagree with an unlockability system, this should, like all sports games, be a pick-up and play game, matches should be determined by player skill, not by how many hours the player has spent online. Special kits and quirky features would probably be acceptable but anything that will actually affect game-mechanics will just be damaging in the long run.

Also, disconnects are an inevitability, in my opinion it's not productive to punish players who either are genuinely disconnected or quit because they're being hammered. Give players whose opponents disconnect while they are in the lead a win and discount any other result, avoids any complex system and doesn't reward quitters.
If someone's enjoying a match they'll stick it through to the end.

FIFA allows your edited squads to be available in unranked matches and in ranked matches it is the current updates squads that are used

I think this would be easy to replicate

Yeah sounds very possible. Then could play with proper names for unlicensed teams, but not the end of the world if not.

I think it would be good if HB could implement Squad Updates at the Start of each Season reflecting new signings and players leaving etc. This would take a lot of work but would definitely enrich the online gameplay as everyone would have the exact same squads to choose from.

Yes this works really well in FIFA but what you have to take into account is that EA have been able to work on the online concept of the games for years now, and it may be a bridge too far for Sidhe/HB for their first online Union games. Totally agree that it should be considered for following ***les though.

I strongly disagree with an unlockability system, this should, like all sports games, be a pick-up and play game, matches should be determined by player skill, not by how many hours the player has spent online. Special kits and quirky features would probably be acceptable but anything that will actually affect game-mechanics will just be damaging in the long run.

Also, disconnects are an inevitability, in my opinion it's not productive to punish players who either are genuinely disconnected or quit because they're being hammered. Give players whose opponents disconnect while they are in the lead a win and discount any other result, avoids any complex system and doesn't reward quitters.
If someone's enjoying a match they'll stick it through to the end.

Completely agree with the unlockability system also (tried to find the original poster of the idea but couldn't!) for ranked matches. Obviously let people do whatever they want in unranked matches, but ranked matches should not have gameplay modifiers as it undermines the whole principle of it.

Also for your second point about quitters it would be great for you to come over to this thread I made here and let me know your thoughts on the subject. I have proposed an online TRF League system for the upcoming Rugby ***les so that members can complete in single matches against each other and then report the result back to update a table on the forum.

Simple. Keep it simple there will not be a lot cash availbale to implement a complex online system.

Dedicated servers
Head to head.
ranking.
Leaderboard
QUITTERS, INTERNET CONNECTIONS DROPS.........WHAT EVER!!!!! Your stats record a loss!!!!!!!!

This nonsense about internet connection dropping is a load of bull!! Either fix your router, modem, up grade your internet connection or move to a first world country. If you do not have a stable internet connection the person playing you should not be punished.

That all I need to be happy.

If people aren't fans of a ranked system I think another good idea could be that there is a ranked system where you only play only against people who are also in the ranked system and then also have just a quick match setup where it can pitch you against a friend or a random person playing as any team you want etc but still have the unlockable system to give some people the satisfaction of having the sense of achieving something.
But in reality i'll be having with a simple system of quick match, ranking, leader boards and good game play. Anything else will be a bonus. Also hopefully if you disconnect or leave it will just be recorded as a loss as it should be!

This nonsense about internet connection dropping is a load of bull!! Either fix your router, modem, up grade your internet connection or move to a first world country.

That is about as un-PC as it is possible to be :lol:
And well if they form an unranked and ranked match system I guess I'd agree but you're basically discouraging anyone without a pretty solid internet connection from playing the ranked games. Remember that HB haven't done this before as far as I'm aware, and while I'm sure they'll have consultants to help set up we could be faced with fairly mediocre servers/connections.

No need to overpunish anyone, it's just a game in the end remember? :p

That is about as un-PC as it is possible to be :lol:
And well if they form an unranked and ranked match system I guess I'd agree but you're basically discouraging anyone without a pretty solid internet connection from playing the ranked games. Remember that HB haven't done this before as far as I'm aware, and while I'm sure they'll have consultants to help set up we could be faced with fairly mediocre servers/connections.

No need to overpunish anyone, it's just a game in the end remember? :p

Hell no bro!! Rugby online is going to be all out war LOL!! My point is that if you quit or lose connection(happens once in a blue moon) then you get accredited with a loss!! Simple as that. I have read a lot of posts regarding rugby league live and they record it as a "no game" WTF!! Quitting is a big problem in that game.

A quit in Fifa WC is accredited as a loss and that system seems fair. If there are leader boards rugby guys will be super competitive and will not want to viewed as a quitter.

A quit in Fifa WC is accredited as a loss and that system seems fair. If there are leader boards rugby guys will be super competitive and will not want to viewed as a quitter.

Surely that isn't enough though. If you're getting hammered then your going to loose anyway so quitting early isn't going to be any different. It would be better to have its own stats, times quit and whether loosing or winning. That way you could probably work out if they have a bad connection, or just a sore looser.

Surely that isn't enough though. If you're getting hammered then your going to loose anyway so quitting early isn't going to be any different. It would be better to have its own stats, times quit and whether loosing or winning. That way you could probably work out if they have a bad connection, or just a sore looser.

Number of quits would be perfect but unfortunately I think they will have a very limited on-line mode. If they don't record a quit or lose of connection this game will be ruined online, as you will never get to finish a game. Stats for some reason keep the serious gamers honest. I reckon that this game will mainly consist of serious gamers on-line as casual gamers gamers move on pretty fast.

This online Rugby experience will really open up avenues...

One thing of course that goes thru the mind is that will it allow a full 15 vs 15 game online? Thats something that i would look forward to. Couple it together with a 'Create a player' option, where you can customise your player and of course his position of choice.... Wow.

Imagine creating a Prop, advertising him online.. Finding a team.. Then setting the time for the match where you will play the entire match as prop... This means you would have to practice beforehand at scrummaging, clearing out the rucks.. Etc..

Of course, again with time restrictions, if you are not available, you could allow the computer AI to take over your player. This AI could also be useful if times your connection should cut off, the teams captain can be notified and he can confirm that the AI will take over the said player.

Just thinking about opens up huge opportunities for online rugby.

You could also have Spectators for these online matches as well.

Last edited:
One thing I would like to see for the online gameplay is Headset Compatibility/Playstation Eye Microphone. If this cannot be done through an update I think it's a must for the next game! Online is really good but it is frustrating when it says 'You have lost connection to your opponent' when the match has nearly finished.

This might not be exactly what this thread was created for, but it seems you can only play online in one stadium.

Why can't you select the stadium, weather, time, etc?

Latest posts