• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 2012

A TRF tournament would have to be arranged at some point, providing enough have it on the same console

This does bring up an interesting point, I looked over on the HB Studios site and I only saw logos for ps3 and 360 there nothing for pc. does this mean for this version there is no pc version? I most likely would get a console and the game so I could play against the rest of the trf guys but it would be nice to also have it on pc for mods.

Has to be an improvement in game play from the old EA rugby series. Better defending and more realistic attacking play with the backs. None of this crap where players like shane williams and brian o'driscoll can just run horizontally to get around the defence and then run in a try. And if there are any of these "star players" I am definitely not gonna buy it. Should be a bit more like a more modern Jonah Lomu Rugby than an attempt to improve on the ea rugby series. And I hope hb studios are a bit better at telling the difference between Luke Fitzgerald and Geordan Murphy than EA sports were.

And D'Arcy has to have a crown

Great news, but whats up with 2012, will it come out in 2012 or sometime next year in 2011?
Online play - we should NOT have to request this, its common protocol nowadays in sports ***les.
Everything Rugby 2008/2009 had, with next gen graphics, online play and custom tournies
and not just online play - Online statistics records, leaderboard et cetc etc - everything fifa has online bring to rugby!

id also love a varient of Be A Pro like the do on fifa, this has kept me playing fifa and i love it.

also if it isnt on PC there has to be an editor mode, just so we can keep our own rosters up to date, maybe updates like fifa does have of roster updates etc.

Anyway awesone news, love it, cant wait to hear more from the guys at HB :)

my theory on calling it 2012 is that it's probably going to release kind of lateish 2011 to tie in with the world cup so calling it 2011 is a bit of a waste when competitions like the super 14 will still be upcoming the next year in 2012. calling it 2012 will it give a bit more legs hopefully sale wise so that people pick it up while the world cup is on and then in the new year around the time things like the super 14 six nations etc are on. it's a smart marketing move imo.

Awesome. Now what I'd like to see...Please make it possible to pas the ball to eachother when playing 2 players in the same team.

A set play editor would be nice, for lineouts and back play.

Rejig the ruck situation. Sometimes you have like 3 players and the opposition has none and you still can't win the ball...

Has to be an improvement in game play from the old EA rugby series. Better defending and more realistic attacking play with the backs. None of this crap where players like shane williams and brian o'driscoll can just run horizontally to get around the defence and then run in a try. And if there are any of these "star players" I am definitely not gonna buy it. Should be a bit more like a more modern Jonah Lomu Rugby than an attempt to improve on the ea rugby series. And I hope hb studios are a bit better at telling the difference between Luke Fitzgerald and Geordan Murphy than EA sports were.

And D'Arcy has to have a crown

HB Studios made all the other Rugby games...

Well, simply incredible news for the forum this! Absolutely excited by this. HB Studios have generally improved this franchise with each instalment, besides a few hiccups in Rugby '08. I do hope we can contribute some sort of input via the forum to help make this game all it can be.

Really great news. I suppose I had been kind of expecting a 2011 game, but HB Studios realising the potential value in working with the community was a complete surprise, and it is a very exciting prospect.

Actually, I think that the most important part of this game must be the sidestep. It must look like a step, not a shuffle and you shouldn't have to start form over five meters away to do it

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent news! I'd love to see ...
- Proper season modes with league / cup matches / international call ups - and none of that silly "game over because you didn't reach the cup semi-final" stuff from the previous world league system.
- Offline multiplayer where you can actually pass to a user controlled team mate
- Sevens
- Better positioning AI - with players using the full width of the pitch rather than all in a line behind the ball carrier
- "Be a pro" mode like fifa
- Lions tours
- Create a tournament mode - rather than just randomising existing ones.
- players moving as soon as a penalty kick is taken, and defenders not just lining up on the try line
- quick tap penalties

And mainly
- the IRB to stop changing the rules long enough for HB Studios to code them properly!!!

Please don't use the FIFA engine rather use he MADDEN engine, NFL is much closer to rugby than soccer.

- We want depth in the gameplay department, since we will have to play it for 4 years before another rugby game will ever be produced :)
So :

- Control at the ruck
- Scrum control
- Design your own scrum/lineout strategies (along with player placement)
- Don't put the same 3 repetitive set pieces , it's better to integrate fake calls and cross passes into the standard control scheme
- or at least include a set piece editor
- Imperfect referees
- Weather conditions with real impact on gameplay (strong wind in perpignan !)
- Licences, licences, licenses.
- Patch if a gameplay flaw is detected
- Allow for mods / easy editing of kits / faces via usb stick (on PS3 at least).
- Allow for modifications of rules
- Multiplayer :)
- Make your own 3rd division club and bring it to the top

You can delegate stats and tracking of rugby players to the community (us) .

I have looked at HB's web site every day for the past three years. I have sent them numerous emails with no response. I have often wondered whether we will ever see another rugby game. Thank you HB!!! I'm sure you have all thought "no one I know can ever beat me at a rugby game, so how will I know if I am the best in the world! Now we will have that chance to find out, with online play.
Things I would like to see in this new edition would have to be the chip kick, and a cheating system (hands in ruck, crooked line out etc) that is hard to execute, but easy to understand.
Rugby 2001 on PS2 was great cos you could really push the rolling mauls - there was an art to it. Also the unofficial kick to wing set piece move was gold when you could pull it off.
Introduce a confidence meter that allows you to retain possession, even in the opposition's 22!!! I also like the skill cards system in PES 2010- maybe they could introduce something similar.
Once again, thank you HB for making this game and thanks for committing to keeping us informed throughout the production.

The prospect of a Be A Pro for an EA Rugby game is very exciting, as they'll actually have all the licences in, unlike in the fifa games where, when you get called up to play for England (or whomever you chose) you only play against China and other such countries, whereas in this, potentially, you've got the 6N, WC and Lions

Please don't use the FIFA engine rather use he MADDEN engine, NFL is much closer to rugby than soccer.

When I first saw the Pro-Tak feature, I thought that has to go in a rugby game for mauls.

---

I'm glad to see a page has been put up on HB's site, as it suddenly struck me this morning, I'm only assuming this'll be out on consoles.

madden engine would be sweet but I just don't see it ever being used for a rugby game for several reasons. 1. EA view madden as their top dog so they aren't just going to let any old game especially one that won't make them much money use it. 2. EA Canada the guys HB Studios have worked with in the past use the Fifa engine so it makes sense to leverage of them wherever possible. 3. HB Studios themselves are familiar with the Fifa engine so it makes sense to use what you know to get the best out of it. 4. Fifa engine rightly or wrongly has a track record of being used in previous games so it is a known quantity that it can be used to make a rugby game whereas madden would be from scratch and square one with no guarantee that it would be easier than the fifa engine.

I would love to be wrong on this one, a rugby game with the madden engine would just be insane but I just can't seeing it happening anytime soon and all the evidence points to the fifa engine being used again.

madden engine would be sweet but I just don't see it ever being used for a rugby game for several reasons. 1. EA view madden as their top dog so they aren't just going to let any old game especially one that won't make them much money use it. 2. EA Canada the guys HB Studios have worked with in the past use the Fifa engine so it makes sense to leverage of them wherever possible. 3. HB Studios themselves are familiar with the Fifa engine so it makes sense to use what you know to get the best out of it. 4. Fifa engine rightly or wrongly has a track record of being used in previous games so it is a known quantity that it can be used to make a rugby game whereas madden would be from scratch and square one with no guarantee that it would be easier than the fifa engine.

I would love to be wrong on this one, a rugby game with the madden engine would just be insane but I just can't seeing it happening anytime soon and all the evidence points to the fifa engine being used again.

But it would be so great to have a dynamic tackle system taking into account angle/speed/friction/weak shoulder, would be way better than the randomness we are used to in the fifa engine.

Well, well ,well, finally some fantastic news. I like most others have searched the internet daily for any sort of news on a next gen rugby game. Then when I had given up hope.....thanks TRF this has made my year.
I do also feel that a Rugby game is very important to introducing people to the real game (especially the club game). I was never really a Football fan until I started playing ProEvo a few years ago. I always found it difficult to get involved in football conversions or watching matches as I didn't know much about the teams and players etc. After months of playing ProEvo i had a greater knowledge of the game and that lead to me being more interested in watching games on the telly/going to live games. I feel that some casual rugby fans maybe feel the same with our game - that they don't know the teams fully/understand the rules, but by playing EA 2012 it might give them more incite and enjoyment of watching the real thing.

Good luck HP....lets make this the best sports game on the planet, because the real life game definitely is!

Badbuttoi

Latest posts