• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RUGBY CHALLENGE 4

Am I reading into this too much or what??

On the Official Rugby Challenge 4 website it states under the new and updated squads section that there is more than 300 players with photorealistic likeness from over 25 licenced teams.

Am I wrong in thinking that there is possibly more licensed teams in the game however they won't contain players with photorealistic likenesses like the teams in RC3 did. For example the NRC, ITM Cup, Currie Cup and Aviva Premiership teams. Yes the odd team had a player with a real face but they were either super rugby players or internationals.

Am I reading into this too much or what??

On the Official Rugby Challenge 4 website it states under the new and updated squads section that there is more than 300 players with photorealistic likeness from over 25 licenced teams.

Am I wrong in thinking that there is possibly more licensed teams in the game however they won't contain players with photorealistic likenesses like the teams in RC3 did. For example the NRC, ITM Cup, Currie Cup and Aviva Premiership teams. Yes the odd team had a player with a real face but they were either super rugby players or internationals.

Players playing in the Currie Cup, also plays Super Rugby and for the Springboks.

The possibility might be there that some of the players in the Currie Cup, who are either new in the squad or late additions, might not be photorealistic in the game. Over 300 likeness, doesn't necessarily mean they only have 300 or 301 or 302 likenesses, and could be more than 400 even depending on how the game makers and the rugby unions work together.

They have a socks rolled down option. Game changer. For real though I've seen clearer communication from totalitarian governments. A screenshot every month is just painful.
I agree, rather show us short videos of new features than teasing us with screenshots. There is talk of them not allowed to disclose too much but it still feels that they can do a bit more, especially since the game would have been released December 2019

I just love the fact that they probably licensed both Jaguares and Sunwolves and have no face scans to show. Like, they don't have Japan's license, I get it, but I really think there's no excuse with Argentine players.

I mean, you'd assume that if they got the rights for a tournament the game would feature all of its teams, right?

I don't assume much when it comes to rugby games, licensing and what may or may not be in the completed game. I keep my expectations to the bare minimum to save myself from being disappointed.

I mean, you'd assume that if they got the rights for a tournament the game would feature all of its teams, right?

They don't get the licenses from the tournament organizers like SANZAAR. They get it from the Country's Rugby Union.

So the possibility could be there that they have the rights to all the NZ, Aus and SA teams involved with Super Rugby, but maybe not the Sunwolves or the Jaguares as the ARU and JPRU might not give them the license

I just love the fact that they probably licensed both Jaguares and Sunwolves and have no face scans to show. Like, they don't have Japan's license, I get it, but I really think there's no excuse with Argentine players.
I don't assume much when it comes to rugby games, licensing and what may or may not be in the completed game. I keep my expectations to the bare minimum to save myself from being disappointed.

Its fair to assume that the Jaguares will be part of the game if Super Rugby is licenced otherwise they need to state if its partially licenced which i doubt is the case.
They probably have the scans for Jaguares but just decided not to show them yet (or ever), they also have not shown South African Super rugby faces.

Its fair to assume that the Jaguares will be part of the game if Super Rugby is licenced otherwise they need to state if its partially licenced which i doubt is the case.
They probably have the scans for Jaguares but just decided not to show them yet (or ever), they also have not shown South African Super rugby faces.
It's never a good idea to assume with rugby video games. You only have to look back at RC1. It didn't have the licenses for any South African teams but Tru Blu kept very quiet on this right up until release. The game then released with a generic tournament and unlicensed SA teams.

It's never a good idea to assume with rugby video games. You only have to look back at RC1. It didn't have the licenses for any South African teams but Tru Blu kept very quiet on this right up until release. The game then released with a generic tournament and unlicensed SA teams.
Right, but I seriously doubt that's the case now that Rugby 20 is out and got neither the SARU nor the UAR licenses. I also think it would be pretty weird to post pictures of players representing real Super Rugby teams instead of Mitre 10 Cup sides... On the other hand, their marketing is pretty disastrous, so yeah, you never know.

...they also have not shown South African Super rugby faces.
And they did show Kolisi, Du Toit and Marx in their Springboks kits (probably using 2019 rosters, Brodie Retallick was also there).

Last edited:
At the end of the day, if the game has the core editor that the previous games had and a beefed up database system none of that will matter, within 2 days of release all teams will be updated by players.

Yes you would think so however they havent announced that they have the rights to Super Rugby yet, if at all.

The sleeves clearly have the official Super Rugby logo on them so the competition is licenced, but with licences you never know, maybe we get Jaguares and Sunwolves, maybe not.

The sleeves clearly have the official Super Rugby logo on them so the competition is licenced, but with licences you never know, maybe we get Jaguares and Sunwolves, maybe not.
The NZ kits had the Super Rugby logos in RC1 but there still wasn't a fully licensed competition

Not sure if anyone has seen this but AFL Evolution 2 launches today. Interesting to see the Unreal Engine 4 in use for a similar game to RC4. There's a couple of moments in the below video that show off the Fanhub and specifically the create a team. If RC4 has the same type of editor we won't be getting an option to upload real life logos but still a lot more customisation than previous games

Latest posts