• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: Argentina - Australia (06/10/2012)

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
TRC.png

Gigante de Arroyito, Rosario (06-10-2012, 23:10 GMT)
Argentina.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Australia.png

Referee: C Joubert
30px-Flag_of_South_Africa.png

Assistants: J Peyper
30px-Flag_of_South_Africa.png
& P Gauzere
Television match official: Francisco Pastrana
30px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Don´t wake up now Australia... Los Pumas need a win :)

Australia slight favorites

Got to pick an upset, Argentina's first win in the rugby championship and maybe the straw that breaks the dingo's back!

Rosario city (population): 1200000.
Estadio Gigante de Arroyito (capacity): 40500.
Here some pictures...
estadio+mundialista+rosario+central.jpg
gigantedearroyito-mundialista.jpg
Hinchada_de_Rosario_Central_Bandera151.jpg

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see whether Australia manage to get 15 players on the park this week (and keep them on for the full 80 mins!). Barnes and Ashley-Cooper have headed back home already, while Polota-Nau, Samo, and Ioane all in doubt with various injuries. Australia are hopeful that Timani and Higginbotham will be fit. The big question is who will play at fullback with Barnes and Ashley-Cooper out (and Beale playing 10) - Morahan has been called over, but is unlikely to start given he will have limited time with the team before the match. Harris, McCabe and Shipperly are the main contenders - McCabe has the most experience at fullback, and given the possible aerial bombardment Australia are likely to receive I would probably opt for him at fullback (even though I think he is better at 12).

If I was Deans I would opt for the following 22 (assuming they are all fit!):
1. Robinson, 2. Polota-Nau, 3. Alexander, 4. Timani, 5. Sharpe. 6. Dennis, 7. Hooper, 8. Samo, 9. Phipps, 10. Beale, 11. Ioane, 12. Tapuai, 13. Fa'ainga, 14. Shipperly, 15. McCabe.
16. S Fainga'a, 17. Slipper, 18. Douglas, 19. Gill, 20. Sheehan, 21. Harris, 22. Cummins

Hmmm... that is hardly the most intimidating Australian side I have ever seen!

and i'd love to see neville get capped. guy is a beast. tapuai at 12 is also worth a shot

From a rugby point of view I feel sorry for Australia, being on the back foot with huge player loss is not a comfy place to be in.
I want Argentina to win but would have preferred and on a normal level paying field with Aus at full strenth. Still the Aus team should not be written off, never, and I wish both teams good luck with no further injuries

It will be interesting to see whether Australia manage to get 15 players on the park this week (and keep them on for the full 80 mins!). Barnes and Ashley-Cooper have headed back home already, while Polota-Nau, Samo, and Ioane all in doubt with various injuries. Australia are hopeful that Timani and Higginbotham will be fit. The big question is who will play at fullback with Barnes and Ashley-Cooper out (and Beale playing 10) - Morahan has been called over, but is unlikely to start given he will have limited time with the team before the match. Harris, McCabe and Shipperly are the main contenders - McCabe has the most experience at fullback, and given the possible aerial bombardment Australia are likely to receive I would probably opt for him at fullback (even though I think he is better at 12).

If I was Deans I would opt for the following 22 (assuming they are all fit!):
1. Robinson, 2. Polota-Nau, 3. Alexander, 4. Timani, 5. Sharpe. 6. Dennis, 7. Hooper, 8. Samo, 9. Phipps, 10. Beale, 11. Ioane, 12. Tapuai, 13. Fa'ainga, 14. Shipperly, 15. McCabe.
16. S Fainga'a, 17. Slipper, 18. Douglas, 19. Gill, 20. Sheehan, 21. Harris, 22. Cummins

Hmmm... that is hardly the most intimidating Australian side I have ever seen!

I agree, this a huge opportunity for Argentina to win. It's going to be very rare that Australia will field such a depleted team like this against them.

If Australia lose it brings their world rating down to 83.92. Not a comfortable lead over England on 83.09 or Wales 82.26 at all.

That would mean they could possibly drop out of the top 4 at the end of November if they struggle to New Zealand, France, England and Wales.

Last edited:
I think Morahan deserves a chance more than McCabe. McCabe and FTA up there are not the most creative paring centre ever seen (definitely not!), but they are 2 locked doors.
Morahan played well in Super Rugby at fullback, though not experienced at test level, both McCabe and Harris aren't in that position, IMO will be worse to put one of those 2 there.

Assuming Ioane, Timani and TPN fit

Robinson
TPN
Alexander
Timani
Sharpe
Gill
Hooper
Dennis
Phipps
Beale
Ioane
McCabe
FTA
Shipperley
Morahan

FTS, Slipper, Douglas, Higginbotham, Sheehan, Harris, Cummins.

I think Morahan, Gill, eventually Cummins cannot provide surely the pace of the highest of international level, but they can bring enthusiasm of the youth, and willing for a victory.

This team doesn't need necessarly good players, they need hungry players, if half of the team had the attitude and committment of McCabe, AAC and Hooper (and the last Timani), they would be again strongly the favourites of this match..

I would like to see Cummins getting a chance at centre

im worried about this "B" team.. so many young players wating for a chance that finally comes. they will bust their asses to get in the first team. The wallabies have lots of talent to replace the injured.wont be surprised if some of them end up been better than the A team guy. many of these guys are unknown to our players, this can result in undesired surprises..

I think Morahan deserves a chance more than McCabe. McCabe and FTA up there are not the most creative paring centre ever seen (definitely not!), but they are 2 locked doors.
Morahan played well in Super Rugby at fullback, though not experienced at test level, both McCabe and Harris aren't in that position, IMO will be worse to put one of those 2 there.

Assuming Ioane, Timani and TPN fit

Robinson
TPN
Alexander
Timani
Sharpe
Gill
Hooper
Dennis
Phipps
Beale
Ioane
McCabe
FTA
Shipperley
Morahan

FTS, Slipper, Douglas, Higginbotham, Sheehan, Harris, Cummins.

I think Morahan, Gill, eventually Cummins cannot provide surely the pace of the highest of international level, but they can bring enthusiasm of the youth, and willing for a victory.

This team doesn't need necessarly good players, they need hungry players, if half of the team had the attitude and committment of McCabe, AAC and Hooper (and the last Timani), they would be again strongly the favourites of this match..

If Morahan had been with the side all along I would definitely agree that he should be starting at fullback, but given he has only just been called in (not sure whether he has even joined the team yet!) I don't think they will throw him straight into the starting lineup.

I agree, this a huge opportunity for Argentina to win. It's going to be very rare that Australia will field such a depleted team like this against them.

If Australia lose it brings their world rating down to 83.92. Not a comfortable lead over England on 83.09 or Wales 82.26 at all.

That would mean they could possibly drop out of the top 4 at the end of November if they struggle to New Zealand, France, England and Wales.

I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday. Like you I think this depleted Australian side is at a real risk of dropping out of the top 4 in the IRB rankings by the end of the year. It certainly makes the November tests a bit more interesting this year with teams playing for better Rugby World Cup seedings

Last edited:
Id chuck Morahan at fullback, I can't see the point in moving their best 2nd 5 to cover. I think its pivotal they have McCabe there as he strengthens up the midfield and gets past the advantage line. Morahan looked good in super rugby, adds a bit of punch in attack. I'd consider giving Harris a run at fullback, probably wouldn't start him though.

2 fetchers. Hmmm. MEthinks the Aussies fancy that their tights to win the physical edge then?

Can anybody tell me why and how James Slipper still makes this Australia team?

He's rubbish. On his debut he was destroyed by England after coming on from the bench, and 28 caps later he's still in the team. Even though it was his poor scrummaging allowed Scotland to get penalties and defeat Australia. I don't see him do an awful lot in the loose either.

Is he there just because he plays both sides?

Can anybody tell me why and how James Slipper still makes this Australia team?

He's rubbish. On his debut he was destroyed by England after coming on from the bench, and 28 caps later he's still in the team. Even though it was his poor scrummaging allowed Scotland to get penalties and defeat Australia. I don't see him do an awful lot in the loose either.

Is he there just because he plays both sides?

The reason is very simple. There isn't really anyone better. Australia's best TH (Kepu) is out injured, while I think Dan Palmer (who is a weird breed of Aussie prop - one that can actually scrummage!) is out injured too. I think Ma'afu is injured too, but he isn't any better than Slipper. Slipper's ability to play both sides is a bit of an advantage, but I think the reality is even though he isn't that good, he is the best option Australia have at the moment!

Just remember that Matt Dunning got 45 caps for Australia, while Al Baxter got 69...... ;)

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for Peter Griffi...err Matt Dunning to come back so I can have a good laugh. :D

thought Slipper was supposed to be the greatest prop in the universe?

they need more kiwis, run Harris at 12 Pat at 13, raid the ITM cup for some front rowers with Australian ancestry :p

get the Tahs to sign Gareth Anscombe, apparently JK thinks he sucks. But he will probably end up a better 10 than Quade cooper.

Latest posts