• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Europe Championship 2018

15,600 according to Spanish rugby union. There was people even behind the trees (no joke, literally).
Wow that's great, must be close to a record. And I imagine those watching behind trees as you say weren't included in the attendance count.

- Spain deserved the win, we weren't the bull, we were the bullfighter

- Many mistakes from Romanian players, they conceded a lot of penalties

- Crowd pushing 16k attendees, that's great

- Gorgeous weather as predicted

- Romania still is way better than us, but not today

- We'll both be in Japan next year...

- Romania, Uruguay, Argentina, Spain, Italy and France, Latin Rugby is on the rise! :cool:

I only had time to watch the first 10 and last 10mins. Trust Spain to show up after I'd lost any faith in them. If I was in the business of making excuses I'd say Romania's gentle walk in the park last week against a makeshift Germany did them no favours while Spain had a competitive fixture.

Both sides would be assets to the RWC.

Spain are near certainty for qualification now for me. A BP win at home against Germany is assured if they field the same strength. A BP win in Belgium is less certain however. But for that to matter presumably Romania need a BP win over Russia? If so, that it is pretty tough.

Great news for Japan if they end up hosting Spain rather than Romania on opening day.

Well, that was an ambush for Oaks and they treated it with over confidence. Players were over motivated, didn't adapt in time, were too nervous. On top of that, the decision making was bad, arrogant and lacked lucidity. They should have kept their calm to obstruction and provocations in rucks and not getting nervous. Why they didn't take 3 pts on each occasion beats met. Also the refereeing was abysmal and cynical, there are at least two situations in first half when Oaks were sent back 30 meters on their momentum (one from Spanish 22. The most blatant one was when scrum-half is stopped by a Spaniard in 2 m offside while going to ruck, he get up and manage to make it and is tackled and knocked the ball. Ref was at like 1 m from phase yet he award the knock on and totally ignored the offside and obstruction. I've seen not the match again and although I rarely speak about referee this was artocious. And this is pretty much the story of refing here and it become kind of frustrating to see a qualification built on such flaws in two consecutive decisive matches. Don't want to take the win from Spaniards but the margin was of ref.

Romania have now like 1% chances to qualify directly as EU1 so will have to go to play offs vs Samoa, home and away (I think 30% chances) than if not successful to repechage tournament with probably 50% chances where will battle Canada and Africa 2 (Zimbabwe? Kenya? maybe even Namibia if Zim put their act together under PdV)? Who knows, I never saw Oaks playing so bad, I am shocked. At least last year vs Gerrmany they scored a lot and was more due to

Ironically, we can get a better seed in groups for targeting 2 wins if we go trough play offs or repechage and manage to make it eventually.

The most blatant one was when scrum-half is stopped by a Spaniard in 2 m offside while going to ruck, he get up and manage to make it and is tackled and knocked the ball. Ref was at like 1 m from phase yet he award the knock on and totally ignored the offside and obstruction.
Yeah, I remember seeing that. That was a harsh one. Also half of the penalty shots at goal Spain took I have no idea what they were for. (though that's because I didn't understand the refs talking in french)

Ironically, we can get a better seed in groups for targeting 2 wins if we go trough play offs or repechage and manage to make it eventually.
Only repechage. If you beat Samoa you will still be in Pool A with Spain.

Yeah, I remember seeing that. That was a harsh one. Also half of the penalty shots at goal Spain took I have no idea what they were for. (though that's because I didn't understand the refs talking in french)

Oaks were sent back few times 30 m on dubious calls, that was the most obvious because the ref was 1 m away. Don't want to take anything from Spaniards, their mobilization was fantastic but if somebody thinks one can build a successful RWC participation from blunders such as in match vs Russia and one sided refereeing like this than something is wrong. I'm curious how the ref will behave if they'll play as obstructionist and provocative vs Japan. Btw, at match lost vs Germany last year we also had a French ref, two tries were dubiously awarded. I rarely mention the ref, didn't do it back than but now there are some patterns.

Only repechage. If you beat Samoa you will still be in Pool A with Spain.

Spain there instead of Samoa would make the group easier, if we manage to win the playoff ;)

It is not, but amz makes some points. Spain was decided to destroy Romanian rucks, mauls and scrums from minute 1 and referee allowed it. Any other day we wouldn't be that lucky.

You can say at the same time that Romania was horrible, that their strategy and decision taking was awful and that they've been extremely unlucky with the way things have gone in this REC for them and our chance has been exactly the opposite.

But karma is a ***** and I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden German Rugby Union and Wild Rugby Academy get their act together just in time for their game against us.

Amz has some points, perhaps he overreacts about the matter but one has to be as intellectually honest about everything as one could, regardless of your own bias on or against something. He's right for the most part and he agrees Spain won the match but the referee had his part in it.

This is ain't over yet, Germany could surprise us if we are overconfident about ourselves even when odds are on Spain and Romania going to Japan

About mobilization...that's what I meant when saying we decided to not be the bull and be the bullfighter instead.

We have to mirror the French flair at some extent (easier with most of the team coming of that very background) but I would add Japan tactics as well. I remember the biggest upset in rugby history, Japan vs SA. That didn't come out of nothing, besides a pretty unfocused and plagued with inner struggle SA, Japan played very well; they were everywhere all over the field, tackling in 2 to 1 many times, the backs joining in many mauls, etc, etc

We lack physicality in comparison with other sides, yes we do, but no doubt we could play the endurance, resilience and mobilization card.

What are the German stars doing while they're on strike from the national team?

They're playing Munster A today, as preparation for the Final vs Timisoara in 5 weeks.

Both Ireland and Munster also have big games this weekend, but Heidelberg even have non-striking players available during the ERC rest week. Despite all that, Munster A are still the favourites.

Is that a faint murmur of detente in German rugby I can hear?

Last edited:
West Ireland lol.

Munster A won 66-19. Won't do the argument for getting European teams into the Pro14 much good.

So Russia need a big bonus point win against Romania right? Russia seem much improved this year so it certainly won't be a walk in the park for Romania but I do think that after the poor performance against Spain, they'll come out with a big performance and win by 15

Some surprises in Oaks' lineup

1 - LAZAR Mihaita
2 - RADOI Andrei
3 - TARUS Alexandru
4 - VAN HEERDEN Johannes
5 - POPARLAN Valentin
6 - NISTOR Vlad
7 - GORCIOAIA Andrei
8 - BURCEA Stelian
9 - CALAFETEANU Valentin
10 - UMAGA Jack
11 - DUMITRU Ionut
12 - FAKAOSILEA Sione
13 - KINIKINILAU Paula
14 - FONOVAI Tangimana
15 - FERCU Catalin

16 - CAPATANA Marian
17 - BADIU Ionel
18 - PRISTAVITA Constantin
19 - ANTONESCU Marius
20 - KUSELO Moyake
21 - SURUGIU Florin
22 - SHENNAN Stephen
23 - VLAICU Florin

Spain goes to Georgia, a match without actual meaningful outcome because Georgia is already classified and reigns supreme on top of the table so the place in dispute is the 2nd one

Good chance for Spain to rest our bests and giving the benchmen a try* against the powerful Georgians.

*hoping they manage to score and actual try

Spain goes to Georgia, a match without actual meaningful outcome because Georgia is already classified and reigns supreme on top of the table so the place in dispute is the 2nd one

Good chance for Spain to rest our bests and giving the benchmen a try* against the powerful Georgians.

*hoping they manage to score and actual try

Well hypothetically surely if Spain won this they'd have a great shot at lifting the trophy. But yes, they have bigger fish to fry so I doubt they'll attempt to muster a challenge sadly.

Well hypothetically surely if Spain won this they'd have a great shot at lifting the trophy. But yes, they have bigger fish to fry so I doubt they'll attempt to muster a challenge sadly.

That would impressive indeed. Time to be pragmatic about the likely outcome and bold on testing people and tactics I guess

I know Georgia is no peer (yet) for the mighty 6 Nations. For Europe Tier 2...they're a (former) Soviet tank division eager to roll over the opposition.

Georgia is clearly in No Man's Land now, a bully to us with the occasional upset (more motivated by Western teams not releasing their Georgian players) and not a round game team able to compete with the bigger guys on a regular basis.

For Europe Tier 2...they're a (former) Soviet tank division eager to roll over the opposition.
10 points for you, that's the best metaphor I've ever seen!

Also cross post:
Rugby Europe Championship
  • Georgia (12) vs Spain (19) - Georgia is favoured 100% - If Spain pulls this game off, they'll be a shoo-in for the championship.
  • Romania (16) vs Russia (20) - Romania is favoured 92%-8%
  • Belgium (28) vs Germany (25) - Belgium is favoured 59%-41% - The battle to avoid relegation.
If Spain defy all the odds and win this weekend - and then follow up in the easier games vs Germany and Belgium - they will become the European champion for the first time ever (since 1936!). They would becoming only the 6th country to ever do so. (Previous ***les: France 25, Georgia 9, Romania 9, Italy in 1997, Portugal in 2004).

For RWC qualification: (at least to advance to the Portugal play-off)
  • Romania only need to deny Russia a BP here - and then a BP win vs Belgium. But they're also playing for the championship and for that they need to win every BP they can get.
  • Russia OTOH need a dominant BP win this weekend (denying Romania a BP) - and then another BP win in Germany 2 weeks later.
  • Germany will be eliminated from RWC qualifying unless they get at least a BP draw.
Rugby Europe Trophy
  • Netherlands (29) vs Poland (34) - the Netherlands are favoured 80%-20%

Latest posts