• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Europe Championship 2018

what was that yellow card for?

Hard to believe this is the same team that scored 13 tries against Germany

Last edited:
Well well well, who saw this coming? Still only 13-3 so Romania aren't out of it by any means but Spain are more than holding their own here

TV station is showing the drop goal of Spain's only victory over Romania ;)

My Spanish teammate told me this was on, glad i tuned in it's a good game. Vamos España!

Spain are bossing it at the minute, although Romania have had most of the ball second half. Spain look a lot more tired.

Well done Spain, fully deserved that win today and they really should qualify for the World Cup now which I'm delighted with! Very poor from Romania though, how many penalties did they concede??

Thanks, I only skim through these threads and thought it was basically a shootout today! Is that likely? I'd prefer Spain in the RWC as they look a lot less physical!
Germany are horrific this year and they are in complete turmoil so that will be a very comfortable win for Spain. Belgium are very poor also, they lost 47-0 to Georgia then by a similar scoreline yesterday to Russia sothey will beat them also. Bonus points are important though (there's a different bonus point system in the REC) and I think Spain need to win both games with a bonus point.

Spain beating Germany and Belgium is a dead cert, barring a political breakthrough in Germany. Getting the bonus points isn't though, and they need to. (or is it just one, because they won the aggregate head to head?)

Romania could well be in Pool A anyway, by beating Portugal & Samoa. But that would mean Samoa go to Pool B.

Spain even if they drop another game here will probably end up in Pool B, by winning the Repechage Tournament

Spain beating Germany and Belgium is a dead cert, barring a political breakthrough in Germany. Getting the bonus points isn't though, and they need to.

Romania could well be in Pool A anyway, by beating Portugal & Samoa. But it means Samoa go to Pool B.

Spain even if they drop another game here will probably end up in Pool B, by winning the Repechage Tournament
Christ it'd give you a headache! Looks good for us anyway, especially if Romania knock Samoa to pool B! Caught the last 20mins of this match and really enjoyed it, must find the time to tune into more games!

Romania is down to rank 16 now, below Samoa. I updated my model - now showing Spain as a 79% chance of being Europe 1, and Romania the other 21%.

Russia only has a 0.2% chance now of coming 2nd and progressing to the Portugal play-off, so it's a very safe bet that Spain and Romania will qualify/progress, the question is just which one goes where. Also Belgium is well and truly eliminated now.

The game to watch next week, in terms of relevance to Pool A, is the one that will get Japan into the top 10. France vs Italy ;)

Worst match I've seen from Oaks in a decade, maybe even more. Deserved win by Spain, the win was their achievement but margin was ref's achievement. Now on phone but will comment more once home.

Congrats Spain!

I thought Romania were really building some consistency and then this happens with probably the worst performance I've ever seen from them (I've only been watching them regularly for a year or two). The crowd was great today, the best I've seen for Spain! Anyone know how many were there?
If Spain and Romania finish with the same number of points, does it go down to point difference?

15,600 according to Spanish rugby union. There was people even behind the trees (no joke, literally).

I'm happy, but I can't forget we're in this position due to a monumental refereeing mistake.

People should really stop jumping on conclusions about the current state of Romanian rugby as I've been reading there and there. Players were caught by surprise, scared with the atmosphere or whatever for the first ten minutes and when they tried to catch up they made huge mistakes and found some refereeing too lenient towards the local side. They are still the team who plays on par with PIs, destroys American sides and from time to time surprises Georgia.

Latest posts