• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 Rugby Europe Championship

Spain can definitely make it to the World Cup. But our lack of consistency can be very damaging in a long repechage process.

You still play Romania home, why do you think you'll go to repechage for sure? Maybe you'll qualify directly and send us to repechage. That match will be very difficult for Oaks.

You still play Romania home, why do you think you'll go to repechage for sure? Maybe you'll qualify directly and send us to repechage. That match will be very difficult for Oaks.

Because Romania will host all the other rivals and through bonus points can secure their way to the World Cup even in the event of a defeat in Spain.

I agree, 6 points will be tough for the Spanish to make up on Romania. Spain would have to win all their games and hope that Romania lose (or draw) to one of the other teams. Even then it's a close one

The best case for Spain would be Belgium getting relegated and playing only three qualifying games in 2018, two of them at home. It reduces Romanian chances of cumulating bonus points and spares us an uncomfortable game in Brussels. If Belgium stays, I only see repechage path possible and it sounds to me like being sent to slaughterhouse.

A lot will depend on the first round match between Russia and Spain. If Russia wins, Romania is basically qualified and there will be a very heated battle for repechage between Spain, Russia and maybe even Germany. If Spain wins, the match in Madrid becomes decisive. Indeed, Romania could lose and still qualify due to bonus points but Spain could get bonus points as well.

Welshdragon, Romania only has 2 points on Spain, not 6. The matches against Georgia don't count in the RWC table.

A lot will depend on the first round match between Russia and Spain. If Russia wins, Romania is basically qualified and there will be a very heated battle for repechage between Spain, Russia and maybe even Germany. If Spain wins, the match in Madrid becomes decisive. Indeed, Romania could lose and still qualify due to bonus points but Spain could get bonus points as well.

Welshdragon, Romania only has 2 points on Spain, not 6. The matches against Georgia don't count in the RWC table.

When he said 6 points I imagine he did counting on 4 bonus points next year: 3 attacking ones in home games and one defensive point if they are defeated in Spain, which remains to be seen...

And about possible bonus points for Spain... We only reached one this year, against Belgium and at home. They seem out of our reach.

Ah yes thank you, I forgot to exclude Georgia

Belgium host Portugal today at 1500hrs UK time (1600hrs GMT+2) for the right to play in the 2018 REC. If Belgium lose they are also officially eliminated from RWC qualification (although they pretty much are mathematically already).

It is a one off relegation/promotion decider and after their plucky performances in the REC I make Belgium favourites.

Portugal reportedly play with more flair and have more of a pedigree. They are also strong at age grade rugby (recently beating Romania and Spain I think) and would be an asset to the REC after apparently taking a backward step in the past couple of years. I'm curious to see them play for the first time.

It is streamed live on
http://www.rugbyeurope.eu/play-2018-championship

Belgium 14-15 Portugal

Halftime. Very entertaining, enhanced by some comically nervous Belgian commentators!

Belgium win and secure their place in next years REC. Their tactics of picking fights with the opponent to disrupt their play works well and during three or four fights it is actually a Portuguese player that gets a yellow card. Portugal look like they'd have been an asset to the REC, but it wasn't to be.

Portugal, despite losing, will get a match next year against whatever REC side is not eliminated from the RWC (i.e. Romania or Spain most likely). If they win that they can still make the RWC.

I am kind of fed up with Belgium's attitude to try to create brawls out of nothing.

I supported Portugal even if this would have complicated Romania's qualification path. Probably they need more time until that young squad will be able to establish itself in REC.

I am kind of fed up with Belgium's attitude to try to create brawls out of nothing.

I supported Portugal even if this would have complicated Romania's qualification path. Probably they need more time until that young squad will be able to establish itself in REC.
Yea it's been getting on my nerves as well... When you're the most violent team in the tournament that includes Romania, Russia and Georgia you must be out of your f&king mind.

I don't think they are really violent, more like dirty. They try to start those fights as a planned tactic, in order to make the opposition lose focus or to get some of their key players binned.

As Howells described them a few years ago, Belgium doesn't play rugby, their goal is to stop you from playing rugby.

Not sure with that. I suspect that they have some sort of playing dirty culture...at U20 Trophy from Bucharest this year, Belgian players caused the most disciplinary issues...

Portugal vs Switzerland was a competitive game. (at least the part I watched was). Even though Portugal were playing slightly better, Switzerland took their opportunities and were ahead at the break. They stayed in the lead until the last 15 minutes... but after that it looks like it got away from them a bit.

I stopped watching (the replay) after 35 minutes, because I accidentally scrolled down and Rugby Europe have spoilers on the page :(

Portugal are pretty certain to win the Trophy now. And the Slam too. 3/3 wins and against the 3 strongest competitors too.

Temperatures between -13 and - 19 Celsius are expected Saturday at Cluj when Romania will play Russia. Luckily the pitch is heated.

Germany's selectors have a hard time this week.

Besides all the striking Heidelberg pros, and Damien Tussac (Castres) out of the picture, 3 Pro D2 players are out injured or not released - Nostadt, Hilsenbeck, Oltmann.

It looks like the only pro still available is lock Eric Marks (La Rochelle) - though I don't think he's actually played for them yet and La Rochelle doesn't even list him as one of their players...

Last edited:
and I remember how after last year win vs Romania, Germany was one of the hot spots of T2. This shows how much the depth of the squad counts and what a difference Romanian Super Liga make. It isn't such a developed championship but can provide players fit at pro level whenever a starter is missing...I think main priority for all EU countries is to develop, if not pro leagues, some pro teams to play in an Euro league for T2 countries.

Latest posts