• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Teams/Country's Best XV

Yeah Stormer its a shame you can see the talent that these islands produce...its scary.

Not sure about the heaviest prop...i always remember big BIll....but it may be wrong.

Can you tell im bored today :)

By all accounts Morroco are another sad case. They have a big rugby following and produce some seriously good players...but their governing body is in an absolute shambles stopping them from progressing

Anyway whos next then..

Tonga
Canada
Wales
Ireland

This would be my ABs legends side (a couple current players in brackets that I think will earn their place but still need to play out their career a bit more):

1) O Brown
2) S Fitzpatrick
3) K Gray
4) C Meads
5) I Jones
6) M Jones
7) R McCaw
8) Z Brooke (Read IMO will eventually take over as the ABs best ever No. 8 - he is arguably already there but he has so much of his career left its hard to put him in now)
9) S Going
10) D Carter
11) J Lomu
12) T Umaga
13) B Robertson (Like Read, C Smith will take his place as one of the greats - Im not sure he has quite cemented his spot yet)
14) J Kirwan
15) C Cullen

By all accounts Morroco are another sad case. They have a big rugby following and produce some seriously good players...but their governing body is in an absolute shambles stopping them from progressing

indeed. French brought the Maghreb in general the sport of Rugby, and they've got tremendous athletic potential and ability, but obviously they require more funding and that sort of thing...
and boy you seem to know your Tier 2/3 stuff ! Your productive display of tormenting boredom on this thread has been gold to Scotty...I salute your perseverance !

Anyway whos next then..

Tonga
Canada
Wales
Ireland
actually i would like to see what would be the choices for wales/ireland, did anyone do italy ?

you know what, im attempting the Namibia team see if you agree with me

1.) Kees Lensing
2.) Hugo Horn
3.) Johannes Redelinghuys
4.) Nico Esterhuyse
5.) Andre de Klerk
6.) Barries Barnard
7.) Jacques Burger
8.) Tinus du Plessis
9.) Eugene Jantjies
10.) Jaco Coetzee
11.) Gerhard Mans
12.) du Preez Grobler
13.) Corné Powell
14.) Eden Meyer
15.) Chrysander Botha

This would be my ABs legends side (a couple current players in brackets that I think will earn their place but still need to play out their career a bit more):

1) O Brown
2) S Fitzpatrick
3) K Gray
4) C Meads
5) I Jones
6) M Jones
7) R McCaw
8) Z Brooke (Read IMO will eventually take over as the ABs best ever No. 8 - he is arguably already there but he has so much of his career left its hard to put him in now)
9) S Going
10) D Carter
11) J Lomu
12) T Umaga
13) B Robertson (Like Read, C Smith will take his place as one of the greats - Im not sure he has quite cemented his spot yet)
14) J Kirwan
15) C Cullen

That is weirdly the exact same team I would have if I picked an All-Time AB side, almost eerie given the massive talent pool to choose from

Just for fun I'll do an all-time Canada XV

1 Rod Snow
2 Pat Riordan
3 Dan Jackart
4 Norm Hadley
5 Jamie Cudmore
6 Adam Kleeberger
7 Gord MacKinnon
8 Al Charron (could play lock and flank but was also powerful at no 8)
9 Morgan Williams
10 Gareth Rees
11 Jeff Hassler
12 Ryan Smith
13 DTH Van der Merwe
14 Winston Stanley
15 James Pritchard

That is weirdly the exact same team I would have if I picked an All-Time AB side, almost eerie given the massive talent pool to choose from

1 Rod Snow
2 Pat Riordan
3 Dan Jackart
4 Norm Hadley
5 Jamie Cudmore
6 Adam Kleeberger
7 Gord MacKinnon
9 Morgan Williams
10 Gareth Rees
11 Jeff Hassler
12 Ryan Smith
13 DTH Van der Merwe
14 Winston Stanley
15 James Pritchard
looking good i'd actually want to see Littleguy's response to this.

speaking of LittleGuy, here, this post to serve as a petition to have his username changed to "Leetl Goy", a written depiction of the way Australians/kiwis pronounce his current username. Him being a Rugby fan from far away, it would show a playful willingness to be right within vicinity of the Rugby world.
As always, dead serious. Please consider.

1 Rod Snow
2 Pat Riordan
3 Dan Jackart
4 Norm Hadley
5 Jamie Cudmore
6 Adam Kleeberger
7 Gord MacKinnon
9 Morgan Williams
10 Gareth Rees
11 Jeff Hassler
12 Ryan Smith
13 DTH Van der Merwe
14 Winston Stanley
15 James Pritchard

I'd have some very similar picks, though Smith wouldn't get on my team, and a couple of differences in the forwards.....

1. Rod Snow
2. Mark Cardinal
3. Jon Thiel
4. Norm Hadley
5. Hans De Goede
6. Jamie Cudmore (played on the flanks quite abit earlier in his career and can't be left off the side)
7. Jebb Sinclair (Lot's of options here, but I have the Currie Cup winner barely ahead of a pile of solid players)
8. Al Charron
9. Morgan Williams
10. Gareth Rees
11. Jeff Hassler (Feels pretty early to do this but I might have to agree with Canucks, guy is too good to be left off the side)
12. Dave Lougheed
13. DTH Van der Merwe
14. Winston Stanley
15. James Pritchard

Bench

16. Dan Jackart
17. Pat Riordan
18. Kevin Tkachuk (might think of someone else here)
19. Mike James
20. Gordon Mackinnon or Adam Kleeberger
21. Ed Fairhurst
22. Ander Monro (barely edging Bob Ross)
23. Mark Wyatt

Norm Hadley....absolute legend...and if i had to list my favorite ever XV he would be in there!

OK Ireland
1 Nick Popplewell
2 Keith Wood
3 Paul Wallace
4 Williw John McBride
5 Paul O'Connell (Honorable mention for Malcolm O'Kelly)
6 David Wallace (Stephen Ferris)
7 Fergus Slattery
8 Jamie Heaslip

9 Peter Stringer
10 Ronan O'Gara
11 Dennis Hickie / Geordan Murphy / Tommy Bowe??
12 Mike Gibson
13 Brian O'Driscoll
14 Simon Geoghan
15 Rob Kearney

Wales
Struggling for locks and a blinside flanker.

1 Charlie Faulkner
2 Bobby Windsor
3 Graham Price
4 Alan Wyn Jones
6 Colin Charvis
7 Martyn Williams
8 Mervyn Davies

9 Gareth Edwards
10 Barry John / Phil Bennet (How do you pick)
11 Shane Williams
12 Bleddyn Williams
13 Scott Gibbs
14 Gerald Davies
15 JPR Williams

Last edited: