• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Union Team Manager 2017 for PC and Mac

Can you retire players internationally (like Strauss), with the editor?

A massive improvement from the previous game this game series is heading in the right direction. Only negative is having to edit players positions for a lot of players so far in the aviva premiership far to many wrong positions for too many players.

Hi Dave,

Congratulations on the new game, I'm happy to see that Alternative Software have committed to the RUTM series and look forward to future installments. The RUTM 2017 interface is excellent and looks extremely professional in comparison to its predecessor. I expect that it has more to do with my computer than anything else, but the loading times are a negative. It takes an obscene amount of time to progress from one day to the next in game. In regards the match engine, have you removed the ability to A) Select back/forwards/kicking moves during a match B ) To view the match from a 2D bird's eye view? I could just be not seeing the option in the new interface, but I'd like to see restoration of these features. The bird's eye view in RUTM 2015 was especially useful for players with ancient computers!

In regards the ratings and positions of players in licensed squads, they weren't brilliant in RUTM 2015, but they're beyond a joke in RUTM 2017. Were the selection of ratings and positions done at random? The differentiation of player calibres within squads seems to be completely arbitrary, established players regularly have lower ratings than players who have barely graduated into the senior squad. It's not as if this information is difficult to find, itsrugby.co.uk contains a complete list of positions that players have played since the beginning of their professional careers, as well as frequency of appearances for their club and country. You could possibly consider using this resource, or others like it, to determine positions of players and ratings (Perhaps a player's rating could be tied to frequency of appearances? With greater weight tied to appearances in competitions with higher prestige) in future. I understand you'll just point me to the editor in response to this criticism, but frankly, to edit the four national calibre leagues in RUTM 2017 takes an age. The inability to also search the database of players in-game because of the new scouting system (not a great addition in itself) makes this task even more tedious. I cannot understand why the developers could not have made a decent attempt at doing this before the game was released.

I'm working on a mod for RUTM 2015 in the mean time, with accurate player ratings and positions for 2016/2017 season. I'll be trying to figure out a way to edit the content of the licensed squads, as I would expect it's not entirely impossible to do. RUTM 2015 just runs better for me on my computer, and I feel in a way it's a more cogent game than RUTM 2017. If you're serious about providing realistic representations of players in RUTM I'd be glad to help. PM me!

Sorry for all the criticism. I thank you very much for producing these games. They're fantastic, and I think the rugby gaming community accept that. They can be bettered though, there are some ad-hoc efforts that need to be improved upon before the series can really move forward.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
B ) To view the match from a 2D bird's eye view? I could just be not seeing the option in the new interface, but I'd like to see restoration of these features. The bird's eye view in RUTM 2015 was especially useful for players with ancient computers!

Just gonna echo this in here - Personally, my computer's more than fine with it but I much preferred the 2D view in '15 and am finding the 3D match engine a bit jarring to watch. Just a personal preference, I understand it's hard for a small company to match the big boys but graphics appear about a couple decades behind and in this case the minimalist option seems far better than trying to compete.

In regards the ratings and positions of players in licensed squads, they weren't brilliant in RUTM 2015, but they're beyond a joke in RUTM 2017. Were the selection of ratings and positions done at random? The differentiation of player calibres within squads seems to be completely arbitrary, established players regularly have lower ratings than players who have barely graduated into the senior squad. It's not as if this information is difficult to find, itsrugby.co.uk contains a complete list of positions that players have played since the beginning of their professional careers, as well as frequency of appearances for their club and country. You could possibly consider using this resource, or others like it, to determine positions of players and ratings (Perhaps a player's rating could be tied to frequency of appearances? With greater weight tied to appearances in competitions with higher prestige) in future. I understand you'll just point me to the editor in response to this criticism, but frankly, to edit the four national calibre leagues in RUTM 2017 takes an age. The inability to also search the database of players in-game because of the new scouting system (not a great addition in itself) makes this task even more tedious. I cannot understand why the developers could not have made a decent attempt at doing this before the game was released.

To address you directly radical, this is kinda purposeful from the developers - Player ratings are somewhat randomised for each save, to make the game less predictable. However, I've got to agree it does appear _too_ random - Word class players have their stats decimated, whilst some complete nobodies seem to turn into dead-set starters. For me, I'd just like the randomisation tuned down slightly to just one or two stat points either way. It's enough to have a notable impact on teams or to affect tight selections.

To address you directly radical, this is kinda purposeful from the developers - Player ratings are somewhat randomised for each save, to make the game less predictable. However, I've got to agree it does appear _too_ random - Word class players have their stats decimated, whilst some complete nobodies seem to turn into dead-set starters. For me, I'd just like the randomisation tuned down slightly to just one or two stat points either way. It's enough to have a notable impact on teams or to affect tight selections.

Oh yeah, I'd agree with you mate. I'm fully aware of the randomization aspect, but as you said, the actual parameters of this process itself are pretty absurd.

I'm really loving what i'm seeing with this game as it's allowing actual coaching and tactics that console games don't give!

I'm looking to get the game in the new year and I was looking at Steam to download the editor to name all unlicensed teams with their actual names. I was unable to find the editor on steam or online is the a link to it? or has it simply not been released at this present time?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Harry,

There is anunlicensed, composite league in the game, containing clubs from Australia, NewZealand, South Africa, Argentina and Japan.
It is called the Super Championship and it is one of the strongest leagues in the game.
It comprises the following clubs :

North Peninsula â€" New Zealand
Canberra â€" Australia
Pretoria â€" South Africa
Bloemfontein â€" South Africa
North Island â€" New Zealand
South Island â€" New Zealand
Western Australia â€" Australia
Dunedin â€" New Zealand
Napier â€" New Zealand
Johannesburg â€" South Africa
Victoria â€" Australia
Queensland â€" Australia
Durban â€" South Africa
Cape Town â€" South Africa
New South Wales â€" Australia
Eastern Cap â€" South Africa
Tokyo â€" Japan
Buenos Aires â€" Argentina

The players in these teams play exclusively for them, except if selected forRep/Int teams.
You may also find some of these "draft" screens of interest. as taken from the new Editor, to give you some idea of what to expect,.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I hope this is helpful, and many thanks for your support.

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd.
<strike>
</strike>​

Are you able to say which of the southern hemisphere teams above is for which super rugby teams

I'm really loving what i'm seeing with this game as it's allowing actual coaching and tactics that console games don't give!

I'm looking to get the game in the new year and I was looking at Steam to download the editor to name all unlicensed teams with their actual names. I was unable to find the editor on steam or online is the a link to it? or has it simply not been released at this present time?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you able to say which of the southern hemisphere teams above is for which super rugby teams

The editor comes with the game itself. The Super Rugby teams would obviously match the geographic location Dave provided. So:

North Peninsula - Blues
Canberra - ACT Brumbies
Pretoria - Bulls
Bloemfontein - Cheetahs
North Island - Chiefs
South Island - Crusaders
Western Australia - Western Force
Dunedin - Highlanders
Napier - Hurricanes
Johannesburg - Lions
Victoria - Melbourne Rebels
Queensland - Queensland Reds
Durban - Sharks
Cape Town - Stormers
New South Wales - NSW Waratahs
Eastern Cape - Southern Kings
Tokyo - Sunwolves
Buenos Aires - Jaguares

The editor comes with the game itself. The Super Rugby teams would obviously match the geographic location Dave provided. So:

North Peninsula - Blues
Canberra - ACT Brumbies
Pretoria - Bulls
Bloemfontein - Cheetahs
North Island - Chiefs
South Island - Crusaders
Western Australia - Western Force
Dunedin - Highlanders
Napier - Hurricanes
Johannesburg - Lions
Victoria - Melbourne Rebels
Queensland - Queensland Reds
Durban - Sharks
Cape Town - Stormers
New South Wales - NSW Waratahs
Eastern Cape - Southern Kings
Tokyo - Sunwolves
Buenos Aires - Jaguares

Cheers for the information. I'm not that good with the Kiwi geography I only know the base city's lol

Looking forward to giving this a go. I still play the older one. Wonder if my tactics from that one will work on the new game?

I just had a bug where the opposition player ran to his own try line with the ball, which counted as a try to his team..

He then runs up the other end (correct end) to take the conversation... any one else had this?

edit - the next play I kick off, he runs back to his own try line and gets given a penalty.

I just had a bug where the opposition player ran to his own try line with the ball, which counted as a try to his team..

He then runs up the other end (correct end) to take the conversation... any one else had this?

edit - the next play I kick off, he runs back to his own try line and gets given a penalty.

Hi, Sorry to hear of this issue for you, please could you email me at [email protected] with details of your computer and graphics card, plus details of the match you were playing, i.e. which team were you and who were you playing against etc, together with any other information on this. We will try and get to the bottom of this for you.

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd

Sorry, what was your question?

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd

Would you consider bringing back the 2D match view in any future update? Secondly, do you plan on providing a realistic rating, and accurate positions, for players in RUTM 2017?

Thanks a lot.

Would you consider bringing back the 2D match view in any future update? Secondly, do you plan on providing a realistic rating, and accurate positions, for players in RUTM 2017?

Thanks a lot.

Hi
Not possible to add back an additional 2D match view at this stage, although we will consider later.
Regarding players in the game, there are over 18,000 players in the database, if there are any that you feel are especially wrong, please do email me, with them at:- [email protected] and I will certainly get the team to look at them for you.

I hope this is helpful

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd

- - - Updated - - -

Hi
Not possible to add back an additional 2D match view at this stage, although we will consider later.
Regarding players in the game, there are over 18,000 players in the database, if there are any that you feel are especially wrong, please do email me, with them at:- [email protected] and I will certainly get the team to look at them for you.

I hope this is helpful

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd

Hi
We may be able to create that additional 2D match view, sooner than I thought, perhaps for early in the New Year.

Happy Christmas

Kind Regards
Dave
Customer Support
Alternative Software Ltd.