• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2011 Official Game

I think regardless of licenses HB have been building a good game infrastructure with rugby 2006 2008 etc, so I would have a reasonable amount of confidence that a new game would be even better. And to be honest if the new game has improved in any way then I almost certainly would buy it even if its not a revolutionary game. Have sidhe done past games and how have they been? Its just that companies need to build towards making 'the complete game', for example in the way that fifa games (at least imo) were awful until about 2004 and only got seriously good by 07/08/09

P.S I know this is about sidhe not HB which this thread is about but I just want to compare the two companies' profiles really.

20 teams will be cool, NFl games only have 32 and they are re-playable as the gameplay is so solid.

If there are the main Nations in the game, hopefully they would be able to implement the other international tournaments (Six Nations, Tri Nations etc) through DLC, which would be great.

so now that we know that its a rugby WC game, here's what I would like seen implemented in the WC format

- squad selector, give us 30-35 man strong squads to take to the world cup. BUT give us an option that allows us to choose that squad ourselves from approx 50/60 of a countries top players (this will obviously be harder for the smaller nations, like Russia, but the bigger nations shouldn't have to suffer less options beacuse a smaller nation has few)
- give us a reason to use the squad... form, fatigue, injuries, knocks, suspensions, these need to be included (and in good supply) between pool games and then on into the knockout rounds, making the us make choices (some of them tough) on who to bring in, who to rest etc
* they shouldn't only occur during matches either, have some random element included between games that simulates training bumps & knocks
* form, fatigue & injuries; players can still play but in a reduced capacity
* injury & suspensions; players are not allowed to play and must be replaced with a member of the squad

- already mentioned by someone else, but include a random fixture/pool generator. Playing the exact same fixtures over and over will get tiresome for even the greatest of fans

- include kits/strips variations (non-offical, generic versions where needs be). With it being a WC game I understand the inclusion of WC kits & strips in all their glory - but in the event that some official kits stray from a nations more regular appearance, can we have the option to select others and not be forced to always use the WC kit
*examples I'm thinking of is Scotland a few years back officially played in an all blue kit (jersey, shorts & socks), but traditionally they play with white shorts
*Wales yellow, black & white change strip (correct me if I have this wrong) representing the colours of St. David, a nice variation, but again not traditional - don't lock us into using kits that may never be seen again!

- If no other structured game modes will be present (I suspect there will tho), allow us to build our own competitions with some detail/complexity
*options here are endless, but we do want to be able to play 6 Nations, Tri-Nations etc even if they aren't official.
*if this option is included, allow it to feature the same detail as the WC mode with injuries/knocks etc as described above - a scaled or watered down competition with less features or stats tracking just because it is user created is not what people want

Anyways, they are just a few ideas that could be easily plopped into a WC game

I'd love to have clubs etc but more than anything I want a good ruby game that I can play with other people online... clubs and licenses are therefore not requirements for me

(I've not posted up here for a long time, but the announcement was good enough to get me involved...)

Last edited:
who cares if it is or isn't it's what i've read on other websites the point is that there is another rugby game (rugby challenge) coming out

Quite a lot when you're determined to de-rail the thread.

P.S I know this is about sidhe not HB which this thread is about but I just want to compare the two companies' profiles really.

In this "contest", I'm happy to say Sidhe is the underdog. HB Studios has the better track record on paper, having released actual rugby union ***les and they have worked on a lot more sports ***les than us. That doesn't mean we aren't working hard to give them a good run for their money though.

Congrats to Alastair and HB Studios on the announcement. Look forward to hearing and seeing more on the game.

Can we bear in mind all harbingers of doom, this is a first official announcement, NOT FINAL.

Myself and Charlie had a very frank and open conversation with AJ ans the representative of 505 (I'll allow him to introduce himself here before naming names) and there is plenty more to come over the coming months. However, what we want is feedback - What you like, what you're keen on, where you hope things are going etc. In return we plan to release more and more info is a steady stream, wetting your appetites!
Thank you.

imgres

If you insist...

I had all but given up hope to be honest, coming onto this gaming section every day for months was degrading to say the least. However I am thrilled to read this info. I am 99% sure that in the WC all teams have the World Cup logo instead of their sponsor, this might mean that we can get more than initially thought? Anyway we will soon see. Looking forward to some screenshots and once again, cheers all at HB and good luck!

In the World cup you're allowed 3 spaces on your jersey - 1 for the Team badge, one for the Shirt sponsor and one for the World Cup badge - That's why the Springbok/Pretoria shitstorm has been going on.

will have to wait and see over the next few months if there is more teams than just the international teams but this is good news all the same. online will be key even if it is just world cup teams if the online is good it will last awhile.

It would be nice to see a couple of the "near miss" teams to be included in the game, like Portugal, Uruguay and Spain. Might mix up the pools a little bit and add a small bit to the replayability factor if you can customize your own RWC.

It would be nice to see a couple of the "near miss" teams to be included in the game, like Portugal, Uruguay and Spain. Might mix up the pools a little bit and add a small bit to the replayability factor if you can customize your own RWC.

Agreed, add in a couple of "what if" teams that have featured in the past to further change up the scenarios.

Agreed x2 - in addition to the randomize pools/fixtures I mentioned before, also allow us to customize what teams go into what pool so we can create comps from the past

will have to wait and see over the next few months if there is more teams than just the international teams but this is good news all the same. online will be key even if it is just world cup teams if the online is good it will last awhile.
As much as I'd love it, I highly doubt the inclusion of club teams on the disc. However, HB should strongly consider making Aviva Premiership, Magners League and maybe Heinaken Cup if we are pushing it as DLC, it would be brilliant and I am pretty sure 90% of us would buy it!

Yeah there should be every teams that attempted to qualify, but missed out during the qualifying stages... Just like the Fifa World Cup game.

Because I'm a TRF dinosaur, I remember Swordfish's Rugby Challenge 2006 and all the build up, right here on this very forum.

I went down to see the guys at Swordfish, top people. I had a chat with the two most important people in the company. One was the MD. He was telling me of all the enormous difficulties of securing licenses and how it is such a lengthily, protracted and costly process.

So whoever at 505 and HB sat down and negotiated these licenses, I say fair play to you. Landing the biggest catch in the sea must have taken some fighting.

Because I'm a TRF dinosaur, I remember Swordfish's Rugby Challenge 2006 and all the build up, right here on this very forum.

The only rugby game to date to feature Connacht!!! (and they were rated ingame better then Munster I think, wtf?)... there was alot of hype for it on here back then, including -and wrongly in the end- from me, but probably due to the decency of one to the chaps from Swordfish posting a few things up here himself if I can remember right, we all wanted to believe it would be the definitive game for rugby fans

I think it is fairly safe to say this game will fare better than Rugby Challenge 2006 did in terms of gameplay, but I suppose it had its place too in the evolution cycle of the sport in game form (christ we were practically spoilt back then... EA Rugby, Rugby 2004 (one of the worst no?), 2005, 2006, Rugby Challenge 2006)

Latest posts