• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby World Cup 2019 Qualifying & Repechage Tournament

Good game so far, 10-18 at the half. 48-47 on aggregate I believe?
Did anyone else think that Uruguay shouldn't have been allowed to take the quick penalty for their try? There was a Canada player down having treatment at the time so I'm surprised the referee didn't stop the game for that

uruguay looks like they have a great crowd there
Great crowd, I feel rugby has grown massively in Uruguay since the last World Cup, and their team has also developed well over the past 3 years! Good future for them I feel

canadian player looked to be in touch but that was a dumb play anyway

Two utterly horrible tries conceded by Canada. The only consolation is those 14 points would still have left them one short of winning on aggregate.

Uruguayan crowds are usually really disappointing for a city of 2.5 million. Don't know what's happened here to bring them out in numbers. Hopefully they turn up for the rest of the ARC.

Don't know if the heat is a factor, or nerves, but it's not matching the excellent first leg as a spectacle.

What happened at the end there? DTH seemed to have scored then the ref blew his whistle before any conversion?

Wait so did that conversion at the end go over or not?

(I saw him take a kick from a wide angle shot, but no flags or anything)

Disappointing for Canada though, they gifted 14 points to Uruguay and were just poor between 30 and 60 minutes. They'll have a tough time in the repechage, sides like Spain could beat them I reckon if they put up a show like that

Wait so did that conversion at the end go over or not?
I'm very confused, it would have been a nice consolation for Canada to win the game itself albeit not on aggregate but the ref blew up at 32-31 with no conversion

No idea. Almost seemed he didn't allow it to be taken. But surely it was just missed by the cameraman and Canada won 33-32?

either it was a quick drop kick that was missed or canada refused the conversion in order to make up aggregate... even though they wouldn't have been able to catch up anyway

World rugby say it ended 32-31. Canada wouldn't refuse the conversion seeing as they could win the game and the win could go towards the rugby championship for Americas

Def not a quick drop kick, while Uruguay were celebrating he set it up, took the kick. It was high enough but maybe off to the right, I couldn't tell. It happened just before the loudspeaker announced the score.

World rugby say it ended 32-31. Canada wouldn't refuse the conversion seeing as they could win the game and the win could go towards the rugby championship for Americas
it doesn't count towards arc... that was last weeks game

That conversion would have given Canada 1.92 rankings points instead of losing them 0.08 - which would have got them back in the top 20. (ahead of Spain)

My understanding is that the first leg counted for the ARC and that this one was RWC qualification only. I'm just grateful the conversion wasn't decisive in eliminatin Canada from the RWC. That would have been horrific.

Can only assume the kicker did a Finn Russell, rushed and missed.

World Rugby now showing a missed conversion at 83'
(You can still go back and watch the conversion on the stream, it's just difficult to spot)

In any case, Uruguay qualify for Pool D which is now complete (Australia, Wales, Georgia, Fiji, Uruguay).

Canada are the first team confirmed for the Repechage Tournament.

Def not a quick drop kick, while Uruguay were celebrating he set it up, took the kick. It was high enough but maybe off to the right, I couldn't tell. It happened just before the loudspeaker announced the score.
are you talking about the kick when the camera was in wide-shot and after the referee's whistle... i don't think that was in-line with the try or even taken by a canadian player

are you talking about the kick when the camera was in wide-shot and after the referee's whistle... i don't think that was in-line with the try or even taken by a canadian player
Yeah, that's the one I mean. I think it's a red shirt taking the kick (but not sure), but yeah it doesn't look like it's lined up right. All a bit strange.

With other results, Brazil are now ranked 25th and are 3.03 RP behind Canada. (57.17 vs 60.20).
Uruguay are 6.36 RP ahead of Canada and just 0.31 RP behind the USA (66.56 vs 66.87)

If Uruguay beat Brazil next week - even if the USA win big (depending on rounding errors) - Uruguay will overtake take the USA in the rankings to 17th!
(They've been there before after the 2003 RWC where they beat Georgia, but not since 2006)

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the one I mean. I think it's a red shirt taking the kick (but not sure), but yeah it doesn't look like it's lined up right. All a bit strange.

With other results, Brazil are now ranked 25th and are 3.03 RP behind Canada. (57.17 vs 60.20).
Uruguay are 6.36 RP ahead of Canada and just 0.31 RP behind the USA (66.56 vs 66.87)

If Uruguay beat Brazil next week - even if the USA win big - Uruguay will overtake take the USA in the rankings to 17th!
(They've been there before after the 2003 RWC where they beat Georgia, but not since 2006)

Tonight's USA game doesn't have bearing on WR points... correct?

Tonight's USA game doesn't have bearing on WR points... correct?
Right, because Argentina XV aren't a ranked team.

And next week the Eagles can only gain 0.05 RP.
[Ranked 6.67 RP ahead of Canada, with 3 for home advantage that's a 9.67 advantage. RP are only awarded once the advantage is under 10 RP, and it's only 0.33 under. The most you can win is 15% of that 0.33, so 0.05]

Last edited:

Latest posts