• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Pool Draw

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Dec 2 2008, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My prediction: South Africa will continue the trend as mentioned. Despite questionable form leading up to the world cup, they will suprise many people and make the final. They will get runners up. To join them in the final and win the world cup will be 2007 Quarter finalists .. Australia.

Winners: Australia
Runners up: South Africa[/b]

You have to beat Wales first... :rolleyes:

My Predictions:

Quarter Final 1: England v France
Quarter Final 2: Australia v Wales
Quarter Final 3: New Zealand v Argentina
Quarter Final 4: RSA v Ireland

Semi-Final 1: England v Australia
Semi-Final 2: New Zealand v RSA

Bronze Final: England v RSA

Final: Australia v New Zealand

Winner: New Zealand

Player of the series: Ma'a Nonu

My prediction: no f***en idea.

New Zealand and South Africa will go in as the best two teams. Australia will go in with a good chance. That is how it was and always will be.

Ireland won't do ****. France and Wales ought to be good enough to pull of some SH upsets come knockout stage. Argentina the same. England, depending on how things pan out, could have a forgetful world cup like Ireland or they could be able to beat some SH teams too.

As always there's 3 teams who are going to be up there and 3/ 4 more who should be good enough to put themselves in the mix.

I hope Fiji play as well as they did last year. I definitely thought 2007 was the best world cup ever... won by a great side; plenty of shocks; brilliantly run by the French... I could go on. Hopefully NZ 11 can live up to its predacessor.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Dec 2 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ireland won't do ****. France and Wales ought to be good enough to pull of some SH upsets come knockout stage. Argentina the same.[/b]
No arguements with you on the Irish front, we aint up to much and wont be much different in three years time. But Argentina? What makes you think they will be anywhere near competitive in three years time. They have lost a lot of their quality players, the ELV's have nullified a lot of their forward orientated game. They wont be admitted into the tri-nations in time will they? I just dont see them being anywhere near good enough to create an upset.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ws4life @ Dec 2 2008, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales in a way will be frothing from the mouth with a chance to avenge their humiliations in Past world cups (91 99 to samoa and 07 to fiji) in one world cup. I think they will target the matches against the Pacific teams as the crunch games and put in a second string team vs South Africa.[/b]

Like f*** will we put in a second string team against the saffas. We fancy this match already, as long our form continues to progress we'll probably throw out a 2nds against one of the other teams.
SA's getting our first team, no doubt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 2 2008, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Like f*** will we put in a second string team against the saffas. We fancy this match already, as long our form continues to progress we'll probably throw out a 2nds against one of the other teams.
SA's getting the first team, no doubt.[/b]

What if Wales pull an Ireland this time around. Ireland had a great 2006 (Heck, they even beat us). Then in the World Cup, they played like boys against me in every game. Even Georgia and Namibia scared them. You think Wales are peaking at the right time, or do you think the rugby world has yet to see their true form? With South Africa, it's very hard to tell. Our senior players such as Matfield, Smit, de Villiers, Fourie and even Habana by that time might be a little over the hill, or maybe they will peak right before half the team retires (see England 2003/2004).

But then, we have absolutely astonishing young talent in Kankowski, Ebehrson, Steyn, Pienaar and Ralapelle(SP?). If these players can stick in their positions, and be given a shot, i reckon we might have by far the best team on paper at that World Cup. It's all up to Gatland and de Villiers's preperation these next 2-3 years i suppose. What worries me, is that in a coaching race between these 2, i think we all know who the clear cut loser is...

What we have never had is a coach with formed ideas of planning and the future in his position long enough in order for our national team to have sustained development and success. My recollection is that Graham Henry was our longest serving coach of the last two decades - 3 years!
All I hope is that Gatland is given the time and resources he needs over the next three years to make us continually competitive, not the Grand Slam winners/laughing stock of the world we've interchanged between for the last 5 years.

Wales will be planning to win the whole thing - so they're not going to lie down against SA, who are a bit overimpressed with themselves after thrashing England at Twickenham.

But the ABs to take it all comfortably, unless things go horriblement wrong in the first match.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 2 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales will be planning to win the whole thing - so they're not going to lie down against SA, who are a bit overimpressed with themselves after thrashing England at Twickenham.

But the ABs to take it all comfortably, unless things go horriblement wrong in the first match.[/b]

Losing to the French would be a good thing for the All Blacks as their route to the final would be against all the northern hemisphere teams.

if the ab's cant win this - its a massive choke
you thought they choked last time - at home this time around in 2011 even bigger choke IMO
dont forget the home teams in each world cup have performed well. (dont argue the french, as the english had games too)
australia were shithouse in 2004, and still made the final
i kind of want to play the AB's in the semi-final - it seems to be our WIN everytime

Why did they do the draw so early? The RWC is almost 3 freakin yrs. away! Also what do the rankings as of Nov. 2008 have to do with how good teams will be in 2011? 40% of the field hasn't even qualified yet. It creates kind of a weird situaton where now teams know who they will face based on how they qualify.I'm not saying anyone will throw a match or anything but it kind of takes the fun out of it.If you win your qualifier your reward is getting a century put up on you by the All Blacks,yippee! Why didn't they at least hold off on placing the qualifiers and do a seperate draw after the teams had achieved their spots?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (up'n'under @ Dec 3 2008, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why did they do the draw so early? The RWC is almost 3 freakin yrs. away! Also what do the rankings as of Nov. 2008 have to do with how good teams will be in 2011? 40% of the field hasn't even qualified yet. It creates kind of a weird situaton where now teams know who they will face based on how they qualify.I'm not saying anyone will throw a match or anything but it kind of takes the fun out of it.If you win your qualifier your reward is getting a century put up on you by the All Blacks,yippee! Why didn't they at least hold off on placing the qualifiers and do a seperate draw after the teams had achieved their spots?[/b]

I agree........

I wonder if some of these teams are going to be as good as they are now for the next 3 yrs....

For example Argentina has some old players in key positions, and Italy has still big problems in finding decent players to put on the bench and in some key roles like FH :wall:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 1 2008, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ok, some sides' journeys could be ending at 3pm today if they're unlucky.
From a Welsh perspective, the worst possible draw for us is:

New Zealand
Wales
Scotland
Samoa
Wutevar!

Like, I'm not even going to assume that Wales will be any good in 2011, but that pool is horrible no matter what way you look at it. :(
Anyone else care to see how easy/hard their country will have it in a few years? :D[/b]

Hello everybody, How are you

Actually I have seen that pooling schedules and I'd like to say that before getting there we have to move through the "qualifying" web. Otherwise it looks good, I hope RWC 2011 will be awesome to watch

Cheers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 3 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 2 2008, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the ABs to take it all comfortably, unless things go horriblement wrong in the first match.[/b]

Losing to the French would be a good thing for the All Blacks as their route to the final would be against all the northern hemisphere teams.
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, makes sense. But can you imagine the pain and loss of confidence ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quincey @ Dec 3 2008, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wonder if some of these teams are going to be as good as they are now for the next 3 yrs....[/b]
In 2004 we lost to South Africa by 2 points and NZ by 1 in the AIs. We then went onto to win the Grand Slam the next spring.
Look what happened to us 3 years later at the world cup...

Doing the rankings and draw three years out from the tournament is retarded. The only guarantee this far out are that NZ, SA & Oz are going to be in the top four, even that is not actually carved in stone, but anyone who knows anything about rugby can pretty much predict the big three, but there is a lot happening amoungst the rest of the rugby world.

The Welsh are looking to regain the position and dominance they enjoyed in the seventies, and with the coaching and player set up they have, there is every possibility that they will remain the pre-eminent northern hemisphere team for the next three years. The Scots are showing signs of finally comming up with a team, the Italians are going from strength to strength and if the game continues to grow there at the pace it has in recent years, then Italy will not be the perennial 6N wooden spoon holders. England cannot remain as woefull as they are now, there are just too many talented players in the mix for them to remain so bad. USA rugby is also a spot to keep an eye on, rugby is getting bigger every day, and there is a huge potential pool of players, a little success (possibly on the sevens field at first) and there could well be an explosion of rugby over there. Eastern Europe is also enjoying huge growth in the game.

I don't necessarily think there will be a team come out of nowhere in the next couple of years that could mount a serious challenge on the World Cup, but I think in three years time we will be saying that the pools are F***ed up. There is no logical reason that I can see for the draw to occur now, and many many good reasons why it should not.

Latest posts