• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011: THE FINAL!!! France vs. New Zealand

Every rugby player is a cheat then so why use the word? You even have the gall to say "All 7s doing their jobs properly cheat" which of course makes the word "cheat" competely useless yet you throw it around with all it's negative conotations which is entirely the point right? You want the negative conotations to fall on McCaw's head yet you fall back on the "meaningless" usage when pushed so you have nothing to defend.

Pussy (noun).

What are you break the laws of the game to win at monopoly? A cheat. Same goes for Rugby, stop beeing so insulted and start acting like its a compliment!!

If this were Lewis Moody (just a example, no he isn't McCaw or anywhere near as good) I'd proudly call him a cheat he's so good he gets away with it :p.

It's not like a Rugby player is not going to do something because the ref doesn't blow his whistle for it, well maybe those adorable, innocent props :p.

I can't believe this debate still rages on. If the refereeing would had been perfect (practically impossible in a match with that pace) what could have happened? Both teams had the same opportunities, mistakes and cheats. I'm disgusted to see the crap I see in football with cynical scrutiny of the refereeing and projection of what might have happened if blablabla. It was a low scoring game because both teams played flawless rugby.

It's seem the way of wisdom as you talk. The AB won the CHAMPION RUGBY CUP at home congrutalation!!! What they (few AB fan I hope) want to have more? All this crap make me crazy so far I love Rugby and AB team.

What are you break the laws of the game to win at monopoly? A cheat. Same goes for Rugby, stop beeing so insulted and start acting like its a compliment!!

If this were Lewis Moody (just a example, no he isn't McCaw or anywhere near as good) I'd proudly call him a cheat he's so good he gets away with it :p.

It's not like a Rugby player is not going to do something because the ref doesn't blow his whistle for it, well maybe those adorable, innocent props :p.
So when you call a rugby player a "cheat" it's a compliment?

So if I am playing you in monopoly and steal half your cash when you are not looking and you call me a "cheat" I should take that as a compliment?

The word "cheat" is a universally negative word that should not be used for players "doing their job." If someone is a cheat then that person should be banned from the game/sport with shame brought on them by all concerned.

I stand by my original position - you are trying to use weasley words to bring disrepute on someone without having to justify anything.

It's seem the way of wisdom as you talk. The AB won the CHAMPION RUGBY CUP at home congrutalation!!! What they (few AB fan I hope) want to have more? All this crap make me crazy so far I love Rugby and AB team.
Look, if people want to talk about the details of a game/tournament/sport/performance/whatever then a forum is surely the place for them to do it. If you don't want to participate then leave, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Last edited by a moderator:

So if I am playing you in monopoly and steal half your cash when you are not looking and you call me a "cheat" I should take that as a compliment?

The word "cheat" is a universally negative word that should not be used for players "doing their job." If someone is a cheat then that person should be banned from the game/sport with shame brought on them by all concerned.

I stand by my original position - you are trying to use weasley words to bring disrepute on someone without having to justify anything.

You contradict your own beliefs. That's weak mate.

oaisdjfoiasjf..... Don't even know what to say to this really. McCaw is awesome, AB's are awesome. Finished now?

I mean that McCaw get's away with it somehow and I have respect for that. It takes skill to cheat like that and get away with it, what he does is against the laws. He's a 7 get over it nobody's perfect, well I am but McCaw isn't :p.

Every rugby player is a cheat then so why use the word? You even have the gall to say "All 7s doing their jobs properly cheat" which of course makes the word "cheat" competely useless yet you throw it around with all it's negative conotations which is entirely the point right? You want the negative conotations to fall on McCaw's head yet you fall back on the "meaningless" usage when pushed so you have nothing to defend.

Pussy (noun).
Incorrect, I like McCaw - you're just wanting to play the martyr card of "Everyone hates NZ"

Also, insulting anyone like that, especially staff, is against forum rules.

No, because that's not part of monopoly. Part of an openside flankers game is to play to the ref, if the ref doesn't spot you off your feet playing the ball in the ruck continue to do so, that's smart play by them because they're getting away with it.

You contradict your own beliefs. That's weak mate.

oaisdjfoiasjf..... Don't even know what to say to this really. McCaw is awesome, AB's are awesome. Finished now?
Stop calling McCaw (or Pocock or Moody or anyone else just doing their job) a cheat.

The word "cheat" should be used for those who are involved in match fixing, who illegally use performance enhancing drugs, who illegally assault players on the field (eye/scrotum gouging), who illegally swap balls to gain an advantage, and the like. By calling McCaw a cheat you put him in the same category as real cheats and when you do that you bring disrepute on the sport. McCaw is one of the finest proponents of the game we have ever seen and should be celebrated as such rather than this constant nonsense.

Stop calling McCaw (or Pocock or Moody or anyone else just doing their job) a cheat.

The word "cheat" should be used for those who are involved in match fixing, who illegally use performance enhancing drugs, who illegally assault players on the field (eye/scrotum gouging), who illegally swap balls to gain an advantage, and the like. By calling McCaw a cheat you put him in the same category as real cheats and when you do that you bring disrepute on the sport. McCaw is one of the finest proponents of the game we have ever seen and should be celebrated as such rather than this constant nonsense.

Can you read or don't you understand? Latter I think. I said McCaw is awesome, put what he does (off-feet, offside, laying around in the ruck, HITTING QUADE COOPER :p) is as far as I know (they might have changed the rules again) that's cheating. He gets away with it all good on him, great player.

Incorrect, I like McCaw - you're just wanting to play the martyr card of "Everyone hates NZ"
100% wrong - I would absolutely make the same argument in favour of Pocock (or anyone else) and did so after the quarter-final win by Australia over South Africa.

Using the term "cheat" to describe a rugby player who is doing their job, and no more, is disgusting in my opinion and it brings a huge amount of negativity onto the sport and it is not necessary. Just think about how the word "cheat" is used to descibe players in other sports. What comes to mind when a professional cyclist is described as a cheat? What about a snooker player? A tennis player? A golfer? You get it yet?

Also, insulting anyone like that, especially staff, is against forum rules.
Is that a compliment? I will assume you are correct so I apologise.

No, because that's not part of monopoly. Part of an openside flankers game is to play to the ref, if the ref doesn't spot you off your feet playing the ball in the ruck continue to do so, that's smart play by them because they're getting away with it.
Exactly - so don't use the word "cheat."

Look, if people want to talk about the details of a game/tournament/sport/performance/whatever then a forum is surely the place for them to do it. If you don't want to participate then leave, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

C'est bon je m'en vais je quitte ce forum. Je comprend que je n'ai pas grand chose à faire avec des gens aussi civilisés et polis. Heureusement la Nouvelle Zélande ne se limite pas à ce forum et à l'insulte gratuite. Le rugby est devenu comme le football, un champ de désolation, de haine et de vulgarité et tout cela est bien triste. Pauvre champion du monde!!!

MOD TRF_Cymro 'Google Translator': It's good I go I leave this forum. I understand that I do not have much to do with people as civilized and polite. Fortunately New Zealand is not limited to this forum and gratuitous insult. Rugby football has become like a field of desolation, hatred and vulgarity and all this is very sad. Poor world champion!

Best regard
No reponse please

Can you read or don't you understand? Latter I think. I said McCaw is awesome, put what he does (off-feet, offside, laying around in the ruck, HITTING QUADE COOPER :p) is as far as I know (they might have changed the rules again) that's cheating. He gets away with it all good on him, great player.
And you're asking me if I can read? So you have no problem calling a player a cheat who holds on for one second too long after making a tackle? That is ridiculous. The word "cheat" shouldn't be used for stuff that is part of the game.

And when did McCaw hit Quade Cooper? Match and time please, I will go look it up. I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I haven't seen it.

And you're asking me if I can read? So you have no problem calling a player a cheat who holds on for one second too long after making a tackle? That is ridiculous. The word "cheat" shouldn't be used for stuff that is part of the game.

And when did McCaw hit Quade Cooper? Match and time please, I will go look it up. I am not saying it didn't happen, just that I haven't seen it.

It's against the laws and he knows it so its cheating so he's a cheater. It's that simple. I could make it look cooler though?

It's against the laws and he knows it so its cheating so he's a cheater. It's that simple. I could make it look cooler though?
So your answer to my example is yes, a player that holds on for one second too long after making a tackle is a cheat. That seems to be your logic but correct me if I am wrong.

Can you name one professional rugby player from any country that is not a cheat?

Because all I have to do is find one occassion where that player was committing a penalizable offense (whether or not the referee penalised him) to show you are wrong. Why are you so wedded to this ridiculous position?

So your answer to my example is yes, a player that holds on for one second too long after making a tackle is a cheat.
Yes.
Can you name one professional rugby player from any country that is not a cheat?
No.
AND THAT'S THE POINT.
He's the best in the world at is as he gets away with it so much.

So your answer to my example is yes, a player that holds on for one second too long after making a tackle is a cheat. That seems to be your logic but correct me if I am wrong.

Because all I have to do is find one occassion where that player was committing a penalizable offense (whether or not the referee penalised him) to show you are wrong. Why are you so wedded to this ridiculous position?

Cheatingrefers to the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process. Cheating can refer specifically to marital infidelity. Someone who is known for cheating is referred to as a cheat in British English, and a cheater in American English.

Nuff said really, I'm just pointing out how it works. Yes anyone breaking the lawes is a cheat, not just your precioussssss Richie... Yes there are different levels of cheating. Does RichieMcCaw cheat, yes. Does he get away with it more than any other player in the world, yes. Why? Because he's so freakin good. Does that make him a cheat, yes and a great player. If you think about it deeper he ruins (or any player who gets the chance really) the chances of other teams playing fast flowing Rugby, so he ruins RUGBY! :O And he is ruining this World Cup thread because we are discussing him ruining it.

Wow. Ok then.

But why would you guys want to have anything to do with a sport that is literally full of cheats?

I sincerely think that "cheat" is totally the wrong word to use. I play poker to a fairly serious level and there is nothing worse you could call another player than a cheat. I suspect this is the case in almost all competitive sports/games. In poker, if someone becomes known as a cheat they are shunned, banned from playing in games, their reputations are ruined and no one wants to be involved with them.

Maybe my enmity towards the word "cheat" is just from my poker background, I don't know. But even knowing that I don't think it is going to stop me getting annoyed when high quality, clean, honourable rugby players (yes, from any country) are routinely described as cheats. That, to me, is disgusting.

Last edited:
Oh, you can take it further than that

If you don't bind correctly, you're a cheat!!
If you don't release the tackled player immediately, you're a cheat!!
If you don't place, pass push or release the ball immediately when tackled, you're a cheat!!
If you don't stay onside at all times, you're a cheat!!
If you enter a tackle from the side, you're a cheat!!
If you close the gap in a line out, , you're a cheat!!
If you tackle a player early, late, high, in the air, with no arms, while off your feet, or any combination of these, you're a cheat!!
If you obstruct an opponent, you're a cheat!!
If you throw the ball into a scrum squint, you're a cheat!!
If you don't retire 10 at a free kick or penalty, you're a cheat!!
If you play the ball with your hands while off your feet, you're a cheat!!
If a game finishes with a penalty count of 12-13, there were 25 cheats

EDIT:

Oh, and if you head butt an opponent while he is trapped and cannot defend himself, and then rake your fingers across his face deliberately poking one of them into his eye, then you are a filthy, scumbag cheat!!

Last edited:
Wow. Ok then.

But why would you guys want to have anything to do with a sport that is literally full of cheats?

I sincerely think that "cheat" is totally the wrong word to use. I play poker to a fairly serious level and there is nothing worse you could call another player than a cheat. I suspect this is the case in almost all competitive sports/games. In poker, if someone becomes known as a cheat they are shunned, banned from playing in games, their reputations are ruined and no one wants to be involved with them.

Maybe my enmity towards the word "cheat" is just from my poker background, I don't know. But even knowing that I don't think it is going to stop me getting annoyed when high quality, clean, honourable rugby players (yes, from any country) are routinely described as cheats. That, to me, is disgusting.

Those 2 words don't go together, for other explanation. Our very own ref, smartcook has explained.

But he is though.

Forgive me if you feel like Im another member of the gang trying to gang up on you, thats not where Im coming from. Im just trying to make it clearer for you, if I can.

Just imagine everytime you get the ball, everytime you get the ball recycled after a tackle, think of that as your birthday cake being presented to you. Now just imagine Ritchie always turning up to your birthday and tipping your cake over, exactly, frusterating as hell. Thats similar to how the opposition players, opposition coaches, opposition as a whole feel about the guy because they can see hes cheating and wrecking their ball, thats why the opposition knee him in the head, eye gouge him, punch him and whatever else they do to him to make him bleed after games.

Thats probably not the best analogy lol but Im hoping it worked for you. Bottom line, Ritchie does cheat at times but he knows how to go about it.

Latest posts