• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: Ireland - Wales (08-10-2011, 18:00)

I have now convinced myself Ireland are favourites and it is not time for this team yet, another 4 years and they will be a lot stronger. This way I wont be as disappointed come Saturday morning!

The only members of the squad older than me are Shane and Jones, scary, and 13 of the squad are 8 years or more younger than me (24 and younger) meaning the next 2 world cups they will be under 32.

The future is bright, the future is Red!

From an Irish point of view its good to see Wales getting talked up by so many people. Thats going to put them under more pressure.

Lads it's plain and simple this is a 50/50 game and regardless of odd's and bookies the fact is the team who turns up and performs better on the day will win. The occasion is going to get to someone that is a fact and well it's now a game of who can hold the nerve better.

I think Ireland will take this one, but it probably won't be by much. Over the last ten years, we've beaten the Welsh more often than not and when you look at domestic rugby, aside from Connacht, the provinces don't really lose to their Welsh counterparts all that often. They usually expect to win.

The Welsh players are certainly on form, but I think there is just that extra bit of class in the Irish side and a greater big game mentality, when you look at the Irish champions of the Magners and Heineken in recent years.
Plus I had a dream that Ireland won :p The oracle has spoken.
Should be a cracker.

Yeah you did lose your last meeting with them, and to Scotland, France twice.

For me it really depends on what Irish team turn up, on form over the last year I think Wales are the better of the two.

From an Irish point of view its good to see Wales getting talked up by so many people. Thats going to put them under more pressure.
Are you joking?
From what I gather from here, pre-match reports/predictions on twitter and even the bookies (a bit) Ireland only have to turn up to walk this match

Are you joking?
From what I gather from here, pre-match reports/predictions on twitter and even the bookies (a bit) Ireland only have to turn up to walk this match

Anything I've read has predicted a tight game. Link?

:(I think that Wales are the form team for sure. They have a great balance about them. I'm finding it hard to see where Ireland will win this. It's going to be a tough battle. I hope that whoever wins it can go all the way to the final at least.

:(I think that Wales are the form team for sure. They have a great balance about them. I'm finding it hard to see where Ireland will win this. It's going to be a tough battle. I hope that whoever wins it can go all the way to the final at least.

True, if we do win Wales bloody well better reach the final.

So amusing to see all the Paddies and all the Taffs being so polite to each other all over the place: "no, no, no you are definately the better team and worthy favourites" etc; even the Gatland Gun has got the bug. I can't get enough of it. Think Ireland will win by the odd score but predict there could well be 7 tries in the game, the Welsh backs have been playing very well but the Irish backs are well under the radar and were starting to hit the gas in the second half against Italy. Only two sh*te nights sleep to go. Whatever the result hope neither team suffers any injuries and that the winner can do themselves justice against the French in the semi and NZ in the Final. Gwan Ireland!!!!

I have now convinced myself Ireland are favourites and it is not time for this team yet, another 4 years and they will be a lot stronger. This way I wont be as disappointed come Saturday morning!

The only members of the squad older than me are Shane and Jones, scary, and 13 of the squad are 8 years or more younger than me (24 and younger) meaning the next 2 world cups they will be under 32.

The future is bright, the future is Red!
Oh no my friend, you boys are overwhelming favourites for this game.

It's not that early, only 6am, better than a 4am kickoff!

Why isn't he in the 7 shirt then?

Irelands backrow functions well because all three of the players chip in with the 7 duties

That's alright, next weeks will be just as important.

Not as if 6am is particularly early anyway.

Get out of bed you lazy *******.

I should clarify I have one of my most important games later. A game where I'll be lucky not to end up in hospital after.

This is how I see the match ups IMPARTIALLY!

[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid"]
[TR]
[TD]Ireland
[/TD]
[TD]Who Has the Edge
[/TD]
[TD]Wales
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Kearney
[/TD]
[TD]Irish
[/TD]
[TD]Leigh Halfpenny
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tommy Bowe
[/TD]
[TD]Irish
[/TD]
[TD]George North
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brian O'Driscoll
[/TD]
[TD]Irish
[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Davies
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gordon D'Arcy
[/TD]
[TD]Welsh
[/TD]
[TD]Jamie Roberts
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Keith Earls
[/TD]
[TD]Welsh
[/TD]
[TD]Shane Williams
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ronan O'Gara
[/TD]
[TD]Draw
[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Priestland
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Conor Murray
[/TD]
[TD]Welsh
[/TD]
[TD]Mike Phillips
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jamie Heaslip
[/TD]
[TD]Draw
[/TD]
[TD]Toby Faletau
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean O'Brien
[/TD]
[TD]Draw
[/TD]
[TD]Sam Warburton
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stephen Ferris
[/TD]
[TD]Draw
[/TD]
[TD]Dan Lydiate
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul O'Connell
[/TD]
[TD]Irish
[/TD]
[TD]Alun Wyn-Jones
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donncha O'Callaghan
[/TD]
[TD]Draw
[/TD]
[TD]Luke Charteris
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mike Ross
[/TD]
[TD]Welsh
[/TD]
[TD]Adam Jones
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rory Best
[/TD]
[TD]Irish
[/TD]
[TD]Huw Bennett
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cian Healy
[/TD]
[TD]Welsh
[/TD]
[TD]Gethin Jenkins
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean Cronin
[/TD]
[TD]Draw
[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Burns
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Court
[/TD]
[TD]Wales
[/TD]
[TD]Paul James
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donncha Ryan
[/TD]
[TD]Wales
[/TD]
[TD]Bradley Davies
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Denis Leamy
[/TD]
[TD]Wales
[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Jones
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eoin Reddan
[/TD]
[TD]Irish
[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Williams
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jonathan Sexton
[/TD]
[TD]Wales
[/TD]
[TD]James Hook
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrew Trimble
[/TD]
[TD]Draw
[/TD]
[TD]Scott Williams
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I have matched the back rows exactly as I think overall they are hard to split. I am marking them on form and what they could potentially do.
Lydiate over Ferris that is not impartial also I'd say Heaslip is a better player than Fatelau. Finally just cause they look alike it doesn't mean Priestland is equal to RO'G.

Are you joking?

Stuart Barnes was on sky earlier saying he fancies Wales, Everybody is saying that anyone out of Ireland, England Wales and France can make the final and on betfair Ireland are slight favorites at 9/10.

Bookmakers look to make money by predicting public opinion (they want half of the money going on one team and half on the other to make a guaranteed profit) and they have Ireland as slight favourites.

Without doubt going to be one of the closest games of the entire tournament. On paper I think Ireland have the experience and skill to do it, but there's no telling what team is going to turn up on the day. Wales are in the best form they've been in in a long long time...saying that, i really dont fancy the trauma of a repeat of the Grandslam 2009 game - but there's nothing like watching that back to get the adrenaline pumping! Eire abú! :)

[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid"]
[TR]
[TD]Ireland[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Kearney[/TD]
[TD]Kearney[/TD]
[TD]Leigh Halfpenny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tommy Bowe[/TD]
[TD]=[/TD]
[TD]George North[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brian O'Driscoll[/TD]
[TD]O'Driscoll[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gordon D'Arcy[/TD]
[TD]Roberts[/TD]
[TD]Jamie Roberts[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Keith Earls[/TD]
[TD]Williams[/TD]
[TD]Shane Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ronan O'Gara[/TD]
[TD]Priestland[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Priestland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Conor Murray[/TD]
[TD]=[/TD]
[TD]Mike Phillips[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jamie Heaslip[/TD]
[TD]Heaslip[/TD]
[TD]Toby Faletau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean O'Brien[/TD]
[TD]=[/TD]
[TD]Sam Warburton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stephen Ferris[/TD]
[TD]Ferris[/TD]
[TD]Dan Lydiate[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul O'Connell[/TD]
[TD]O'Connell[/TD]
[TD]Alun Wyn-Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donncha O'Callaghan[/TD]
[TD]O'Callaghan[/TD]
[TD]Luke Charteris[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mike Ross[/TD]
[TD]Jones[/TD]
[TD]Adam Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rory Best[/TD]
[TD]Best[/TD]
[TD]Huw Bennett[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cian Healy[/TD]
[TD]Jenkins[/TD]
[TD]Gethin Jenkins[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Seán Cronin[/TD]
[TD]Cronin[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Burns[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Court[/TD]
[TD]James[/TD]
[TD]Paul James[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donncha Ryan[/TD]
[TD]Davies[/TD]
[TD]Bradley Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Denis Leamy[/TD]
[TD]Jones[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eoin Reddan[/TD]
[TD]Reddan[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jonathan Sexton[/TD]
[TD]=[/TD]
[TD]James Hook[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrew Trimble[/TD]
[TD]Trimble[/TD]
[TD]Scott Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Uh-oh
Saying Sean O'Brien is equal to Warburton is going to incur the wrath of the Irish :p

Latest posts