• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: Ireland - Wales (08-10-2011, 18:00)

This is how I see the match ups IMPARTIALLY!

[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid"]
[TR]
[TD]Ireland[/TD]
[TD]Who Has the Edge[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Kearney[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Leigh Halfpenny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tommy Bowe[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]George North[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brian O'Driscoll[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gordon D'Arcy[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Jamie Roberts[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Keith Earls[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Shane Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ronan O'Gara[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Priestland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Conor Murray[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Mike Phillips[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jamie Heaslip[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Toby Faletau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean O'Brien[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Sam Warburton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stephen Ferris[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Dan Lydiate[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul O'Connell[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Alun Wyn-Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donncha O'Callaghan[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Luke Charteris[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mike Ross[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Adam Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rory Best[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Huw Bennett[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cian Healy[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Gethin Jenkins[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean Cronin[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Burns[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Court[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[TD]Paul James[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donncha Ryan[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[TD]Bradley Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Denis Leamy[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eoin Reddan[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jonathan Sexton[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[TD]James Hook[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrew Trimble[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Scott Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I have matched the back rows exactly as I think overall they are hard to split. I am marking them on form and what they could potentially do.

A little disappointed that Scott Williams isn't starting, but I can understand why he isn't

Can't wait until Saturday morning now :D

Going to stick my neck on the line and state that Ireland will win this comfortably by 10+. The current Welsh team appear mentally week when it comes to finishing off opponents, SA game was a prime example of this. Wales have beaten Ireland 3 times in the last 10 years and only once away from Cardiff.

This is how I see the match ups IMPARTIALLY!

[TABLE="class: cms_table_grid"]
[TR]
[TD]Ireland[/TD]
[TD]Who Has the Edge[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Kearney[/TD]
[TD]Irish
[/TD]
[TD]Leigh Halfpenny[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tommy Bowe[/TD]
[TD]Draw
[/TD]
[TD]George North[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brian O'Driscoll[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Jonathan Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gordon D'Arcy[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Jamie Roberts[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Keith Earls[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Shane Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ronan O'Gara[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Rhys Priestland[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Conor Murray[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Mike Phillips[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jamie Heaslip[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Toby Faletau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean O'Brien[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Sam Warburton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Stephen Ferris[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Dan Lydiate[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Paul O'Connell[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Alun Wyn-Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donncha O'Callaghan[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Luke Charteris[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mike Ross[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Adam Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rory Best[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Huw Bennett[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cian Healy[/TD]
[TD]Welsh[/TD]
[TD]Gethin Jenkins[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sean Cronin[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Burns[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tom Court[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[TD]Paul James[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Donncha Ryan[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[TD]Bradley Davies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Denis Leamy[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[TD]Ryan Jones[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Eoin Reddan[/TD]
[TD]Irish[/TD]
[TD]Lloyd Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jonathan Sexton[/TD]
[TD]Wales[/TD]
[TD]James Hook[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrew Trimble[/TD]
[TD]Draw[/TD]
[TD]Scott Williams[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

I have matched the back rows exactly as I think overall they are hard to split. I am marking them on form and what they could potentially do.

Edited the one, as tbf Bowe and North are close tbh neither are better or worse than the other imo. For backrows based on positions they are playing Warburton is a better 7 than O'Brien however taking that out of the picture its very close between the two (and have very different styles of play too)

Last edited:
More stats for these 2 teams

Tackles completed

IRE - 94.3% (233 completed / 14 missed)
WAL - 93.39%(424/30 missed)

Kicks at Goal success (PKs, Conversions)
IRE - 68.57%
WAL - 80%

Drop Kicks
IRE - 1/2
WAL - 0/3

Rucks Won

IRE - 96.77% (330/341)
WAL - 92.9% (367/395)

Scrums won (Own feed)
IRE - 90% (27/30)
WAL - 86.84% (33/38)

Lineouts won (own throw)
IRE - 91.66% (44/48)
WAL - 86% (42/49)

Penalties conceded
IRE - 42
WAL - 46
Discuss

Hmmm; that is somewhat interesting. I know its not an exact cross comparison, but would most feel Pool D was weaker than Pool C?

Then the inexact comparison - bigger games players play differently...

If I had to choose one on one

15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 O'Driscoll
12 Roberts
11 Earls
10 O'Gara
9 Phillips
8 Heaslip
7 O'Brien
6 Ferris
5 O'Connell
4 O'Callaghan
3 Jones
2 Best
1 Healy

16 Cronin
17 James
18 Davies
19 Leamy
20 Reddan
21 Sexton
22 Trimble

I'll be called bias, but that's who I'd pick.

:lol: Oh dear. That must be an attempted WUM.

Gotta say that I'm very happy with the team Gatland has selected. I possibly would have gone for Scott Williams above Jonathan Davies, but there wasn't much in it, and I probably think Davies' defense is slightly better (noticed Scott falling off one or two tackles against Fiji). That is a very minour point though, because Scott's tackling is still very good. Happy to see Lydiate return, so he can smash some rucks and tackle everything that moves as per usual. Very happy to see Halfpenny at fullback aswell. Byrne has been improving gradually, but he's still not back to what's required yet. Ireland need to be weary about how they kick to this Welsh back three, because it's potentially devastating on the counter. Then again, O'Gara is one of the best tactical kickers in world rugby, so probably not gonna get much to work with unless the forwards can put him under pressure.

Last edited:
Ummmm not sure, Wales have a fantastic defense and are very fit meaning they can defend well for 80 minutes.

To be honest its to close to call

I think Ireland will take this one, but it probably won't be by much. Over the last ten years, we've beaten the Welsh more often than not and when you look at domestic rugby, aside from Connacht, the provinces don't really lose to their Welsh counterparts all that often. They usually expect to win.

The Welsh players are certainly on form, but I think there is just that extra bit of class in the Irish side and a greater big game mentality, when you look at the Irish champions of the Magners and Heineken in recent years.
Plus I had a dream that Ireland won :p The oracle has spoken.
Should be a cracker.

Too close to call this one... but I have a lucky charm in the form of a cloud shaped like the head of a Welsh Dragon! I snapped it on holiday a week before the RWC started. Of course I saw this as a sign and I created a facebook group for it. Come and join in the banter and see the image for yourself to decide how realistic it is!

Massively looking forward to this game with our cousins over the water... will be a classic I have no doubt.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/groups/285293684818803/

:lol: Oh dear. That must be an attempted WUM.

Gotta say that I'm very happy with the team Gatland has selected. I possibly would have gone for Scott Williams above Jonathan Davies, but there wasn't much in it, and I probably think Davies' defense is slightly better (noticed Scott falling off one or two tackles against Fiji). That is a very minour point though, because Scott's tackling is still very good. Happy to see Lydiate return, so he can smash some rucks and tackle everything that moves as per usual. Very happy to see Halfpenny at fullback aswell. Byrne has been improving gradually, but he's still not back to what's required yet. Ireland need to be weary about how they kick to this Welsh back three, because it's potentially devastating on the counter. Then again, O'Gara is one of the best tactical kickers in world rugby, so probably not gonna get much to work with unless the forwards can put him under pressure.

Nope not a WUM, just who'd I'd honestly pick if given the choice, in fact I reckon Ireland will win by more than 7 on the Weekend. In other news Best has recovered and will start with Cronin staying on the bench thank god.

Hmmm; that is somewhat interesting. I know its not an exact cross comparison, but would most feel Pool D was weaker than Pool C?

Then the inexact comparison - bigger games players play differently...

Doubt it, especially considering before the tournament started, the majority said Wales wouldn't even get out of the group they were in. Admittedly Fiji were a bit disappointing, but they're still a very hard team to play against! I'd personally say both pools were about level in difficulty.

Doubt it, especially considering before the tournament started, the majority said Wales wouldn't even get out of the group they were in. Admittedly Fiji were a bit disappointing, but they're still a very hard team to play against! I'd personally say both pools were about level in difficulty.

No, Pool D was undeniably tougher. I would take Australia and Italy ahead of Saouth Africa and Samoa any day of the week. Fiji turned out to be a minnow morethanless though.

Going to stick my neck on the line and state that Ireland will win this comfortably by 10+. The current Welsh team appear mentally week when it comes to finishing off opponents, SA game was a prime example of this. Wales have beaten Ireland 3 times in the last 10 years and only once away from Cardiff.
sticking your neck out on your 1st post is definitely a good way to get noticed on here...however i admire your courage & commitment @ giving your prediction on the match even if others will disagree(& they will)..but i dont!!

sticking your neck out on your 1st post is definitely a good way to get noticed on here...however i admire your courage & commitment @ giving your prediction on the match even if others will disagree(& they will)..but i dont!!

Haha i share his optimism. All in with my vcash for 7+ but if it were real money that would be a different story.

Latest posts