• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Quarter Final: Springboks - Wallabies (09-10-2011, 18:00)

Only the tackler can enter from any angle, but he must do it immediately (all other players must come from their side at the tackle situation). However, the main point as you say is that as long as you get your hands on the ball before a ruck forms, you can keep them on the ball and go for it.

found this diapo on comments on GaGR

diapoe8f8259bd3e71b0961f8be9d89034ade.gif

Just wandering where those 5 little differences are

ayersrock.jpg

The only one I can catch is that in the second picture the rock moved once. :D

I think he got there first and it's actually a penalty for Oz for not releasing. I thought the same when I saw it live (I recall that play specifically), I think no penaly was given.

Australia 18 made the tackle didn't he? Pocock was just first man to the ball

Schalk Burger reverting to form - grabbing him in the face/eye area

Making 140 odd tackles as you say and just conceding 6 penalties throughout the game is unnatural! not one other game has had this in the history of the sport!!

Therefore there is evidence in the statistics as well that the referee did not do his job properly!

Wales made 141 tackles and missed 11 against Ireland, the penalty count against them was not massive either. So based on your arguementt the ref did not do his job in this games either then.

The game of rugby has never been about blaming the ref, or calling players a cheat. It is a game where you accept with good grace that some days the calls just don't go your way. That players get away with a little more than prehaps they should have done. Yet you know as a player that if you were good enough you would have won and regardless of a few decisions and a loose forward palying how they should. You also know that on another day in another game the calls do go your way and it's the other team feeling how you did.
That is why rugby players tend to be decent enough just to accept that on the day they were just not good enough, as I think both the Boks players and coaches have been.

It is the press and fans calling for the refs head and Pocock a cheat. If the game had been the other way around how many Boks fans view would have been different.

If you watch the Wales game against Ireland the defence and tackle stats were hugh, prehaps Australia defended there hearts out to, and could not be broken down.
The tackle stats break down to less than 10 per man, and are not impossible in the history of sport by a long way.
The Ireland players accepted they were not good enough to break down a strong defence on the day, maybe the Boks should see that too.

Last edited:
So do you think the Wales back line, or the All Blacks would have failed to score given the stats SA had?.

The game of rugby has never been about blaming the ref, or calling players a cheat. It is a game where you accept with good grace that some days the calls just don't go your way. That players get away with a little more than prehaps they should have done. Yet you know as a player that if you were good enough you would have won and regardless of a few decisions and a loose forward palying how they should. You also know that on another day in another game the calls do go your way and it's the other team feeling how you did.
That is why rugby players tend to be decent enough just to accept that on the day they were just not good enough, as I think both the Boks players and coaches have been.

It is the press and fans calling for the refs head and Pocock a cheat. If the game had been the other way around how many Boks fans view would have been different.

If you watch the Wales game against Ireland the defence and tackle stats were hugh, prehaps Australia defended there hearts out to, and could not be broken down.
The tackle stats break down to less than 10 per man, and are not impossible in the history of sport by a long way.
The Ireland players accepted they were not good enough to break down a strong defence on the day, maybe the Boks should see that too.

I'm not even going to read beyond that as clearly you know nothing about rugby or being a rugby supporter; rugby not about calling Richie McCaw a cheat? Pull the other one ;P

I'm not even going to read beyond that as clearly you know nothing about rugby or being a rugby supporter; rugby not about calling Richie McCaw a cheat? Pull the other one ;P

Ha, yeah my point being a good rugby player accepts that's the way a top 6 or 7 plays. As I have said a number of times on here. My point was that you don't cry about it afterwards. Because if you have a decent 6 or 7 he should have been doing the same
biggrin.gif

Ha, yeah my point being a good rugby player accepts that's the way a top 6 or 7 plays. As I have said a number of times on here. My point was that you don't cry about it afterwards. Because if you have a decent 6 or 7 he should have been doing the same
biggrin.gif

At the end of the day Lawrence ruined any chance of the game being a decent game of rugby, one team had the ball and tried to play, but were prevented from doing so due to the laws not being applied, not at all. Boks had their chances (however would have much more) to win the game in spite of the poor reffing display, and a cock-up from Danie Russouw gave away the last penalty to Aus to win.

Bryce Lawrence should not be reffing at even an amateur level, any non-harmful critisicm (sp) of him is fine by me. The one thing that ****** me off the most, is that Pocock got man of the match because he was allowed to operate outside the laws of the game. Some fair play to him, he played the ref, but in my books its far from ideal when professional sportsmen try to do things they no are against the laws, simply because they think they won't get caught. Its not at the same level, but deliberately taking advatange of a situation such as in this game with the rucks, is principly the same as taking a new performance enhancing drug that the authorities can't pick up.

As for your point about the 6/7 doing the same, its a different thing when you are the attacking team trying to get ball than a defending team trying to spoil it.

At the end of the day Lawrence ruined any chance of the game being a decent game of rugby, one team had the ball and tried to play, but were prevented from doing so due to the laws not being applied, not at all. Boks had their chances (however would have much more) to win the game in spite of the poor reffing display, and a cock-up from Danie Russouw gave away the last penalty to Aus to win.

Bryce Lawrence should not be reffing at even an amateur level, any non-harmful critisicm (sp) of him is fine by me. The one thing that ****** me off the most, is that Pocock got man of the match because he was allowed to operate outside the laws of the game. Some fair play to him, he played the ref, but in my books its far from ideal when professional sportsmen try to do things they no are against the laws, simply because they think they won't get caught. Its not at the same level, but deliberately taking advatange of a situation such as in this game with the rucks, is principly the same as taking a new performance enhancing drug that the authorities can't pick up.

As for your point about the 6/7 doing the same, its a different thing when you are the attacking team trying to get ball than a defending team trying to spoil it.

I am not sure Pocock got it because he operated outside the laws of the game. Some of his stuff illegal but not all of it. He still played very, very well. As a defence you should be doing all you can to slow the attack down, so you can organise.

The issue of the modern 6 or 7 is based around the way McCaw and Pocock play, and this is now seen as how any loose forward should play. Any modern team would kill to have a Pocock or a McCaw. Is what they do dishonest yes, is it against the laws of the game yes. The game is at the stage now that if you don't do it the likes of McCaw and Pocock will do it to you.

You could blame ref's at all levels letting it go, and until that changes with the IRB it is not going to stop.

You only have to look at the IRB world player of the year awards McCaw has. It is obvious to see what world rugby thinks of his style of play, and everyone else is following suit. Any half good junior coach would tell his back row to watch how those guys do it.

Don't get me wrong mate I am not saying it is right. It is just where things are at.

found this diapo on comments on GaGR

diapoe8f8259bd3e71b0961f8be9d89034ade.gif

Just wandering where those 5 little differences are

LOL. How is it possible to move him when he is not supporting his own body weight? He is wrapping around the player and basically laying on top of him. Of course he won't move.

Staggering how he was still moving after the match though. I remember some absolutely massive cleanouts on him, but he just gets back up and magically appears at the next ruck. Australia would be nothing without him.

Last edited:
Had anyone spotted this? I wouldn't want to mess with BdP, specially if his brother Fat Shalk Burger is around.

Lucky Horwill didn't slap Brussow like that - Brussow would have been rolling around on the ground, and Horwill would have got a red card ;)

I find it funny that some South African posters are complaining about Pocock 'cheating' when they have someone who 'cheats' just as much in their own team (Brussow). If their 'cheater' have been on the field for more than 20 mins they would have been far more competitive at the breakdown (and we would probably have Australian posters on here complaining how Brussow cheated them out of the game!). I really wish the AB's had a 'cheater' of the same quality as Brussow and Pocock (McCaw used to be, but he is not quite as effective anymore as these two)! I understand why South Africans are ****** off - I was equally ****** of 4 years ago when some ref cost us a game versus France ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree Darwin. Aussies have complained for years of McCaw's cheating, and now that they have someone as effective (or more), they seem to be fine with it. The bokke were on the wrong side, and had they had Brüssow, they would have done the same.

Jeez, took me 2 days to get over this one. Might need some counselling though:D. I have given the game a lot of thought and to me it came down to pure LUCK in all aspects of the game The forward pass and Lambie kick, the bounce of the ball for Fourie, the bounce of the ball for Geneia etc. etc. etc.. All teams sometimes get this where the ball just always keeps on bouncing right and all the decisions just goes your way. The Boks played a awesome game and I was and still is extremely proud of the way they played. Jeez, without the lucky bounce of the ball, I believe we would have slaughtered any team on the night. We were absolutely all over the Wallabies and the style of play to me was aweinspiring. It was like Springbok rugby at its best.

BUT....we lost. And this to me is the weirdest thing ever.We actually lost a game where we dominated everything except lady luck. Yes, there was a ref and the ref blew crappy, but the same would apply to the Aussies - he blew crappy for them as well. I cannot belive that a ref would go out there and kill one side because of hidden motives. It would do just to much damage to the persons career.

So, all I have to say is, goodbye PDivvie, well done Wallabies (you defended better than any team I have ever seen), welcome to a whole batch ofnew young Springboks (cheers John and co), goodluck to the Kiwi's and Wales (Please let this be the final) - CU all in the next world cup.

BladeMode over and out. Couselling required!!!!!!

PS. To all my South African "comrades". Boys, give it up. There's no use in crying over spilled milk. It's not good for your counselling. We would have said the same if the shoe was on the other foot. See youall at counselling.

I agree Darwin. Aussies have complained for years of McCaw's cheating, and now that they have someone as effective (or more), they seem to be fine with it. The bokke were on the wrong side, and had they had Brüssow, they would have done the same.

Pocock will one day surpass Richie as the best cheat. But Richie will always hold a special place in our hearts, as the undisputed all-time king of all cheats.

100 years from now people will be saying: "If Richie McCaw is offside and no one is around to see it, does he make a sound?"

Ok sorry, I need some sleep.

Pocock and McCaw are "cheaters", Brüssow is just quality

As mentioned above Australia are not good without Pocock, as the Ireland match proved to an extent

Pocock will one day surpass Richie as the best cheat. But Richie will always hold a special place in our hearts, as the undisputed all-time king of all cheats.

100 years from now people will be saying: "If Richie McCaw is offside and no one is around to see it, does he make a sound?"

Ok sorry, I need some sleep.

Hahaha, that was quality. I hope they both get penalised for their cheating on the weekend so we can see both sides attacking qualities shine through :)

May as well ask this again as no-one knew or answered when I posted this a few pages back.

Anyone know what that awesome jersey John Smit was wearing during the coin toss was (from memory many of the South African players were wearing them during their warm up)?

It was mostly white with almost lime green stars all over it. It looked kinda of different and unique. Can't find them anywhere on the net. Anyone know anything about them?

LOL. How is it possible to move him when he is not supporting his own body weight? He is wrapping around the player and basically laying on top of him. Of course he won't move.

Staggering how he was still moving after the match though. I remember some absolutely massive cleanouts on him, but he just gets back up and magically appears at the next ruck. Australia would be nothing without him.

Justin Marshall wrote an article in the paper a couple of weeks ago complaining about the top teams doing what Pocock is doing in that video, he called it "re-tackling" the tackled player once he is on the ground. He isn't on his feet or even going for the ball in that video, blatantly just lying on the guy and grabbing him to slow down the ball. I know it's only one instance and I'm sure people could find numerous videos of every other player in the world doing the same thing, I'm not having a go at Pocock, I just hope like hell this sort of thing is policed (both ways) by Joubert in the semi. He is a good ref, hopefully he calls these types of things.

Saw an interesting comment about this game by someone saying Lawrence turned this game back into what it was like in '07, where you're better off not having the ball and risking getting counter attacked against. Bit ironic that SA finally rid themselves of the kick and chase game only to find out that would've suited them perfectly with the way he reffed the game.

Latest posts